10 Reasons Why Michael Jordan is Not the Greatest

Options

Comments

• _Lefty
    _Lefty Members Posts: 6,564 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    This is blasphemy. Jordan is the best, most fundamentally sound basketball player i've ever seen. The true greatness of his game gets buried under the flash, but that ? was cold blooded.

Ya'll gotta stop playin with dude's name.
  • thegreatunknown
    thegreatunknown Members Posts: 1,474 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2016
    Options
    Makes some valid points, especially about the level of play then. I've had this argument several times and my contention is that the mid 90's was far more watered down.

The NBA now is better than it was 20 years ago. The only reason why people love mid 90's basketball is because of MJ, take him out the equation and it was almost unwatchable. The two most overrated eras of play are the 60's and the mid 90's.

But Jordan is still the greatest, you could do a list like this for anyone that you think is the GOAT and probably have more reasons for each of them.
  • Elzo69Renaissance
    Elzo69Renaissance Members Posts: 50,708 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
  • nawledge_god
    nawledge_god Members Posts: 5,622 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    LUClEN wrote: »
    lol author has some valid points.

He does, it's not some emotional article.

If Jordan was the goat then the bulls should have fallen apart when he left

It's A Good Thing Pip And Co.Won Back To Back Titles From The Rockets With MJ Playing With The White Sox Minors
  • Neophyte Wolfgang
    Neophyte Wolfgang Members Posts: 4,169 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    If that is the case then Lebron is not a top 10 player and Curry is not top 50
  • The Lonious Monk
    The Lonious Monk Members Posts: 26,258 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Shizlansky wrote: »
    ? still think the NBA was better in the 90s

It was. The fact that there we're some really bad teams back then doesn't mean the league is better now. Back then there was a big separation between the good teams and the bad ones and there we're a fair number of both. Now there are like 5 legit good teams and everyone else is equally mediocre. You're not going to see a bunch of terrible records in that case, but that doesn't mean good basketball is being played.

The expansion complaint is also a bad criticism against MJ. He was just as dominant against the legitimately good teams as he was against the bad teams. In fact, most of the noted things are true to some point, but don't really support the premise. For instance, the Bulls being good without MJ doesn't change the fact that MJ was killing teams while he played.
  • dalyricalbandit
    dalyricalbandit Members, Moderators Posts: 67,918 Regulator
    Options
    get this ? outta here
  • rap mysterio
    rap mysterio Members Posts: 171 ✭✭
    Options
  • Focal Point
    Focal Point Members Posts: 16,307 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    ? always trying to ice skate uphill SMH
  • RobCoLife
    RobCoLife Members Posts: 1,376 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Man they coming out the woodworks to make Lebron better than MJ.
  • 5 Grand
    5 Grand Members Posts: 12,869 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I remember when Jordan came into the league in the 80s. He was a spectacular player but I can't say I really, really followed him like that until the 1997-98 season. The Bulls were coming fresh off of a championship (actually they had just won two in a row). Me and my roommates didn't have cable but they used to play NBA basketball on regular TV. Every Sunday throughout the entire season they played a Bulls game on regular TV.

We used to watch basketball every Sunday. It was our regular routine and it was always The Bulls vs somebody else.

I can honestly say that Michael Jordan was unstoppable that year. He had perfected his fade away jumper and there was absolutely no way to stop it. It was as unstoppable as Kareem's sky hook. Kobe Bryant and LeBron James don't/didn't have signature moves like that. Basically you could pass the ball to MJ and he'd take a couple of dribbles and fade away with his jump shot and it would be all net. He was unstoppable.

The Bulls went on to win the championship that year and then he retired again. I remember the following year The Lakers had Shaq, Kobe, Eddie Jones and Nick Van Excel. All four of them made the all star team but they weren't any good as a team until they got Phil Jackson as a coach.

Basically MJ was the best player I've ever watched.

• usmarin3
    usmarin3 Members Posts: 38,013 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2016
    Options
    I just think people need to define the criteria of what makes someone the GOAT, because they seem to make exceptions for MJ. smh

1. If it's titles then it's Russell or some of them old Celtic ?
    2. If it's pure stats or dominance then it's Kareem or Wilt
    3. If it's individual skillset then it's probably someone like Magic, Lebron, Oscar
    4. Is it all time great moments?

What is the criteria because Jordan ain't dominant in none of them. Plus if were being honest Kareem is the most accomplished player ever.
  • wAXed_poetic
    wAXed_poetic Members Posts: 332 ✭✭✭
    Options
    Doesn't the bulls not falling apart say more about Phil Jackson's coaching skills?
  • Olorun22
    Olorun22 Members Posts: 5,696 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    usmarin3 wrote: »
    I just think people need to define the criteria of what makes someone the GOAT, because they seem to make exceptions for MJ. smh

3. If it's individual skillset then it's probably someone like Magic, Lebron, Oscar

What is the criteria because Jordan ain't dominant in none of them. Plus if were being honest Kareem is the most accomplished player ever.

? how tf does lbj magic and Oscar has a better skill set?
  • Peace_79
    Peace_79 Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 8,964 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Taylor Swift is one of the best Selling recording artists of ALL TIME and has a closet full of Grammys...

What does that tell you.

The answer is simple ... It's the Eye Test ... Backed up with accomplishments.

That really ends the discussion for me.

MJ is the GOAT, Period.
  • usmarin3
    Options
    En-Fuego22 wrote: »

Point's, rebounds, assists.

Jordan getting rebounds and assists like that?
  • usmarin3
    Options
    Peace_79 wrote: »

Taylor Swift is one of the best Selling recording artists of ALL TIME and has a closet full of Grammys...

What does that tell you.

MJ is the GOAT, Period.

How is the eye test when none of you ? lived through the Russell, Wilt, Kareem, Big O,etc play.

Russell and Kareem have similar accomplishments to Jordan

Kareem has 6 regular season mvps and 5 rings

Russell has 5 mvps and 11 titles

• Mister B.
    Mister B. Members, Writer Posts: 16,172 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    This has been beat to death.

Like I've said, there's only one or two people who could truly be considered GOAT if not your ? ....Russell and Kareem.

We've done the Kareem vs. Mike thing to death, and in the end, it always comes down to "Mike's the best that I've seen play."
  • usmarin3
    edited July 2016
    Options
    nujerz84 wrote: »
    En-Fuego22 wrote: »

Point's, rebounds, assists.

Jordan getting rebounds and assists like that?

He had season averaging 8 rebounds and 8 assists and lead NBA in triple doubles while averaging 32.5 points a game.

Jordan only had 1 season where he ever had more than 7 rebounds or 7 assist.

Dudes like Big O, Magic, and Lebron do that on a nightly basis.
  • playmaker88
    playmaker88 Members Posts: 67,905 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Usmarine saying dumb ? must be a day that ends in Y
  • Peace_79
    Peace_79 Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 8,964 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Peace_79 wrote: »

What does that tell you.

MJ is the GOAT, Period.

How is the eye test when none of you ? lived through the Russell, Wilt, Kareem, Big O,etc play.

Russell and Kareem have similar accomplishments to Jordan

Kareem has 6 regular season mvps and 5 rings

Russell has 5 mvps and 11 titles

I've seen tape and I know the context.

Jordan's competition dwarfs Russel and the Oscars.

I'm not saying it isn't close with Kareem - you have an argument... But you asked for criteria ...

And I gave you the Eye Test. I have never seen anyone compare to Jordan on the court.
  • rapmusic
    rapmusic Members Posts: 4,130 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options