Common to Star in ‘Black Samurai’ TV Series Executive Produced by RZA

Swiffness!
Swiffness! Members Posts: 10,128 ✭✭✭✭✭
According to Variety.com, Academy Award-winning rapper and actor Common is set to star in a television adaptation of “Black Samurai.” The TV project is based on Marc Olden’s 1974 book series, which inspired the 1977 film of the same name. Wu-Tang Clan’s RZA is attached as an executive producer. Producers are working on selling the project to a distributor. Once a network, cable or streaming venue is attached, the search for a writer and director will begin.

“Black Samurai” follows the story of Robert Sand (played by Common) who is rescued by a Japanese samurai master and trained for seven years. After suffering from vicious racism in the military, and seeing his teacher and fellow samurai killed before his eyes by terrorists, Robert Sand becomes a killing machine, out to destroy the corrupt powers who had taken the lives of his friends.

Producer Andre Gaines acquired rights to the book, and is executive producing the potential series, making it the first television show developed under his Cinemation banner.

“Robert Sand is like black Jason Bourne. Black Samurai is one of the most unique, timely and fun experiences I’ve ever read, while at the same time tackling some serious subjects around race and diversity,” said Gaines. “With ‘John Wick 2’ and ‘Suicide Squad’ coming up, Common was an obvious choice for the role, and I’m thrilled to have him on board. I believe he’s the next great American actor.”

Along with Gaines and RZA, Wu Films’ Mitchell Diggs and Diane Crafford are also exec producing. “I could not be more pleased that such incredible talent is attached to Marc’s work,” said Crafford. “This series has always been one of my favorites and Robert Sand, the Black Samurai, is a fascinating character who I can’t wait to see brought to life on the screen.”

Speaking of RZA, Gaines commented, “There is a long tradition and storied relationship between hip-hop and martial arts. Having RZA and the WuTang brand on board to executive produce will validate the series even more and mobilize the fans.”

Aside from “Suicide Squad” and “John Wick 2,” Common’s acting career is on fire. He was recently seen in the latest “Barbershop” film and NBC’s “The Wiz Live” musical.

https://goodblacknews.org/2016/06/17/common-to-star-in-black-samurai-tv-series-executive-produced-by-rza/

Sounds dope af

Comments

• THIRDSUPREME
    THIRDSUPREME Members Posts: 7,519 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Swiffness! wrote: »
    According to Variety.com, Academy Award-winning rapper and actor Common is set to star in a television adaptation of “Black Samurai.” The TV project is based on Marc Olden’s 1974 book series, which inspired the 1977 film of the same name. Wu-Tang Clan’s RZA is attached as an executive producer. Producers are working on selling the project to a distributor. Once a network, cable or streaming venue is attached, the search for a writer and director will begin.

“Black Samurai” follows the story of Robert Sand (played by Common) who is rescued by a Japanese samurai master and trained for seven years. After suffering from vicious racism in the military, and seeing his teacher and fellow samurai killed before his eyes by terrorists, Robert Sand becomes a killing machine, out to destroy the corrupt powers who had taken the lives of his friends.

Producer Andre Gaines acquired rights to the book, and is executive producing the potential series, making it the first television show developed under his Cinemation banner.

“Robert Sand is like black Jason Bourne. Black Samurai is one of the most unique, timely and fun experiences I’ve ever read, while at the same time tackling some serious subjects around race and diversity,” said Gaines. “With ‘John Wick 2’ and ‘Suicide Squad’ coming up, Common was an obvious choice for the role, and I’m thrilled to have him on board. I believe he’s the next great American actor.”

Along with Gaines and RZA, Wu Films’ Mitchell Diggs and Diane Crafford are also exec producing. “I could not be more pleased that such incredible talent is attached to Marc’s work,” said Crafford. “This series has always been one of my favorites and Robert Sand, the Black Samurai, is a fascinating character who I can’t wait to see brought to life on the screen.”

Speaking of RZA, Gaines commented, “There is a long tradition and storied relationship between hip-hop and martial arts. Having RZA and the WuTang brand on board to executive produce will validate the series even more and mobilize the fans.”

Aside from “Suicide Squad” and “John Wick 2,” Common’s acting career is on fire. He was recently seen in the latest “Barbershop” film and NBC’s “The Wiz Live” musical.

https://goodblacknews.org/2016/06/17/common-to-star-in-black-samurai-tv-series-executive-produced-by-rza/

Sounds dope af

? Please.....No.
  • Ajackson17
    Ajackson17 Members Posts: 22,501 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The first ninjas and samurais were ?
  • BangEm_Bart
    BangEm_Bart Members Posts: 9,503 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ajackson17 wrote: »

Proof?
  • CJ
    CJ Members Posts: 15,312 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Was excited until I saw rza..
  • Lou Cypher
    Lou Cypher Members Posts: 52,521 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You ? saying no and "lmao @ black samurai" musta forgot about ghost dog.

Loved that ? movie.

When i first read this article i was thinking a live action Afro Samurai lmao. Will check this out though.
  • texas409
    texas409 Members Posts: 20,854 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Rza????????? hell nah
  • The Lonious Monk
    The Lonious Monk Members Posts: 26,258 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Rza as executive producer not director. Rza is good at getting things done from that standpoint.
  • Swiffness!
    Swiffness! Members Posts: 10,128 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2016

Sounds dope af

? Please.....No.

smh EXECUTIVE PRODUCER is not DIRECTOR come on now

foh with acting like Rza has some poison touch
  • Beta
    Beta Members Posts: 65,596 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2016
    I saw RZA's name...I'm good

Ghost dog was trash ? what y'all saying
  • Bcotton5
    Bcotton5 Members Posts: 51,851 ✭✭✭✭✭

Lol
  • NothingButTheTruth
    NothingButTheTruth Members Posts: 10,850 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sounds suspect, but I'll take it. Just happy we have more black people getting opportunities to make real moves.
  • Ghostdenithegawd
    Ghostdenithegawd Members Posts: 16,231 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2016
    I was hyped until the rza part smfh
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0 Regulator
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Beta
    Beta Members Posts: 65,596 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Beta wrote: »
    I saw RZA's name...I'm good

Ghost dog was trash ? what y'all saying

? your hairline is trash shut your ? face.

:/
  • THIRDSUPREME
    THIRDSUPREME Members Posts: 7,519 ✭✭✭✭✭

Sounds dope af

? Please.....No.

The man with the iron fist was trash.................................................

Garbage.

I will watch that ? but if its trash.....Ima clown. Most def.
  • Max.
    Max. Members Posts: 33,009 ✭✭✭✭✭

Sounds dope af

? Please.....No.

• BangEm_Bart
    I'll wait till I see a trailer to judge
  • Revolver Ocelot
    Revolver Ocelot Members Posts: 3,393 ✭✭✭✭✭
    lamontbdc wrote: »
    Common as a Samauri?
    9951158.gif

I wouldn't put it past him, I thought he was good as an assassin in Run All Night.
  • Revolver Ocelot
    Revolver Ocelot Members Posts: 3,393 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2016

Sounds dope af

? Please.....No.

As long as there's no episodes written or directed by RZA it should be fine.
  • BangEm_Bart
    A Wu tang soundtrack to the choreography in this movie would be dope.
  • KingFreeman
    KingFreeman Members Posts: 13,731 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Rza gonna ? this up and common sound light skin as he is. I don't like it.
  • Ajackson17
    Ajackson17 Members Posts: 22,501 ✭✭✭✭✭

Proof?

@BangEm_Bart I was being sarcastic to another poster who said some ? like that without proof.
  • Ghostdenithegawd
    Ghostdenithegawd Members Posts: 16,231 ✭✭✭✭✭
    lamontbdc wrote: »
    Common as a Samauri?
    9951158.gif

I wouldn't put it past him, I thought he was good as an assassin in Run All Night.

Only thing a black samurai and who he played in run the night have in common is killing that's it 2 totally different everythings