Nigerian In China: Why Are People Here So Racist Towards Black People?

Options
2stepz_ahead
2stepz_ahead Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 32,324 ✭✭✭✭✭
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/china-racist-black-people_us_576a9840e4b065534f485002

Eric Olander and Cobus van Staden are the duo behind the China Africa Project and hosts of the popular China in Africa Podcast. We’re here to answer your most pressing, puzzling, even politically incorrect questions, about all things related to the Chinese in Africa and Africans in China.

China’s engagement in Africa is a distinctly 21st century phenomenon and, as such, is still poorly understood by most people, most notably among Chinese and Africans themselves who are still getting to know one another. In that spirit, we’ve started this new column as a way to help spark dialogue and cross-cultural communication in order to explore this fascinating, complex relationship.

In many instances, people are either too shy or embarrassed to publicly ask that question that could be misconstrued as insensitive or politically incorrect. In an issue like this that touches on questions of race, power and culture, things can get messy real fast. Instead, we’ll take each question seriously, and with the benefit of our backgrounds in China-Africa journalism and academic scholarship, we’ll do our best to give you a thoughtful, well-reasoned response.

So let’s get started...
Hey Guys: why are Chinese people so racist towards black people? I mean really. I am from Nigeria and I have lived in Guangzhou for 6 months already and I can tell you that a lot of people here really don’t like black people. What %$^&#* me off so much is that there are so many more Chinese people who live in my country and yet they don’t get hassled anywhere near as much as we do in China! Why?

— Sent from Guangzhou via email

Yeah, you’re totally right to be upset because it sucks big time to be on the receiving end of any kind of discrimination, racism or prejudice. So we get that. Before I go any further, though, I also want to point out that none of my explanations here are intended to justify people being jerks and their bad behavior. However, there is a context here that may be helpful to shed some light on why some Chinese people seemingly respond negatively to blacks, whites and people of other ethnicities (yes, it’s not just a black thing).

The Chinese will take every opportunity they can find to talk about their 5,000 years of history and that theirs is the longest continuous civilization on Earth (which is pretty impressive). For all of that history, including the present, China has been almost exclusively a mono-ethnic culture that is basically ethnic Han Chinese. Moreover, throughout Chinese history there has been a strong belief that they are superior to all other countries and people. As you may already know, the word “China” in Chinese is pronounced “zhong guo,” which literally means “Middle Kingdom,” or in plain English, “The Center of the Universe.”

So combine the fact that there has long been a sense of cultural superiority that is deeply ingrained in Chinese culture mixed with the fact that the vast majority of Chinese people you meet on the streets of Guangzhou have probably never interacted with someone of another race or ethnicity and, well, you have all you need for a lot of cultural misunderstanding.

But wait, there’s more…

When I worked at a radio station in Hong Kong way back in the day (really really way back in the day in 1990), a young student intern in the company would often quiz me about life in the U.S.. Not surprisingly, it didn’t take long for our discussions to turn to the issue of race. For someone who’s grown up largely around Chinese people, she was particularly intrigued about what it was like to live in a more racially diverse country. Interestingly, though, when I turned the question around and asked about her views on black people in particular, she became much more animated.

She told me straight up that when she sees a black person on the street she crosses the street in fear. Wait what?!

Curious about what in the world could provoke such mortal fear, I had to find out what she was so afraid of:

“Have you ever met a black person?” I asked. “No,” she answered without hesitation.

“Have you ever even spoken to a black person?” Again, without any reservation, she said, “no.”

The vast majority of Chinese people you meet on the streets of Guangzhou have probably never interacted with someone of another race or ethnicity.

“So let me get this straight,” I followed up feeling a bit agitated over the stunning level of ignorance, “you’ve never met or even talked with a black person but yet you are so afraid that they might hurt you that you cross the street to get away? It just doesn’t make any sense.”

She then went on to explain that the only black people she has ever seen are in Hollywood movies and in almost every movie the black person is the violent, bloodthirsty bad guy who hurts people. “So I know what I see from the movies and I just don’t want to take any chances,” she explained with that “duh” look at me as if I was the idiot!

That night I went to a movie theater to try and see the world not as an American who grew up in a multicultural environment but someone who is ethnic Chinese. I saw the Sylvester Stallone movie “Cliffhanger” (totally dating myself here, I know) and sure enough guess who was the bad guy who tried to ? the white movie superstar? Yup, the main black character! Not only that, he had blood dripping from his teeth and depicted to be not only violent but immoral, and since that was the ONLY black character in the film, it highlights just how racist American films have been and continue to be today in their depictions of black and brown people.

So to wrap this all up, sure, there are racist jerks in China just as there are everywhere. However, a lot of these people are struggling themselves to live in a suddenly new multicultural environment that challenges a lot of what they have learned from their own culture on top of the fact that a lot of the messaging about black people they consume from Hollywood and elsewhere contributes to their ignorant attitudes.

As China engages the world and more of the world comes to China, a lot of these views will likely begin to change. It will take time… so in the meantime, the best thing I can tell you is hang in there and good luck!

— Eric

576ab51e1500002b0073bef4.jpeg

Comments

• 2stepz_ahead
    Options
    ^^^^^^^message
  • Maximus Rex
    Maximus Rex Members Posts: 6,354 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Why are the Chinese racist towards us? They learned it from Europeans. If these cats are going to leave their country, they need to try and get to America, Canada, or Western Europe. At least in these countries, you'll have some sort of recourse in regards to blatant racism.

Also, you're in those people's countries. Not that I condone it, but I like I say with the illegals over here, you can't go to the next man's country, especially ones with homogeneous cultures such as the Chinks and the Dotheads and start demanding ? . Stay home, demand accountability from your government, get those wild ass Muslims under control, and develop the natural wealth of your nation so you don't have to leave.
  • StillFaggyAF
    StillFaggyAF Members Posts: 40,358 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Good thing about Africans going to Asia to study is that they have to go back to their countries
    No brain drain
  • The_Jackal
    The_Jackal Members Posts: 3,628 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Btw black people are the most hated race in the world. Almost every country that I've traveled to, they made it clear that I was unwanted. I was going to make a thread on where it's safe and not to travel(extremely violent neo-nazis in Poland for example)

It's funny how Jews think they are even close to being hated like us. Even got the nerve to make up a new word for it(anti sematic)

When I see Seth Rogen I see a fat white dude. Ain't nobody thinking about Jews.

Ehhhh I was in Poland for a training mission last month for the Army. The Polish ? loved me and more people just seemed amazed that I was 6,6 more then anything. Nor to say you aren't right or you haven't experiencedone that
  • A Talented One
    A Talented One Members Posts: 4,202 ✭✭✭
    Options
    Btw black people are the most hated race in the world. Almost every country that I've traveled to, they made it clear that I was unwanted. I was going to make a thread on where it's safe and not to travel(extremely violent neo-nazis in Poland for example)

It's funny how Jews think they are even close to being hated like us. Even got the nerve to make up a new word for it(anti sematic)

Flagged.

Anti-semitism is real, and has been a major historical phenomenon over many centuries. Why do you think the Holocaust happened? It was the culmination of something that has been going on for a long time. Read your history.

That, by the way, is not to say that in 2016 Jews are hated like us.

• jono
    jono Members Posts: 30,280 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

She told me straight up that when she sees a black person on the street she crosses the street in fear. Wait what?!

Curious about what in the world could provoke such mortal fear, I had to find out what she was so afraid of:

“Have you ever met a black person?” I asked. “No,” she answered without hesitation.

“Have you ever even spoken to a black person?” Again, without any reservation, she said, “no.”

The vast majority of Chinese people you meet on the streets of Guangzhou have probably never interacted with someone of another race or ethnicity.

“So let me get this straight,” I followed up feeling a bit agitated over the stunning level of ignorance, “you’ve never met or even talked with a black person but yet you are so afraid that they might hurt you that you cross the street to get away? It just doesn’t make any sense.”

She then went on to explain that the only black people she has ever seen are in Hollywood movies and in almost every movie the black person is the violent, bloodthirsty bad guy who hurts people. “So I know what I see from the movies and I just don’t want to take any chances,” she explained with that “duh” look at me as if I was the idiot!

That night I went to a movie theater to try and see the world not as an American who grew up in a multicultural environment but someone who is ethnic Chinese. I saw the Sylvester Stallone movie “Cliffhanger” (totally dating myself here, I know) and sure enough guess who was the bad guy who tried to ? the white movie superstar? Yup, the main black character! Not only that, he had blood dripping from his teeth and depicted to be not only violent but immoral, and since that was the ONLY black character in the film, it highlights just how racist American films have been and continue to be today in their depictions of black and brown people.
    This is the root cause of most prejudices. Here in America most white people have very limited meaningful contact with black people. So the images, stories they see and hear shape their views. Oversees it's worse because most never see us at all, and only see the worse of us from the news(you usually don't make the news for good things).

I don't know why people are so surprised about that.

You have no contact with these people, they talk weird, they look weird, they eat weird foods...yeah you probably not going to like them very much
  • 2stepz_ahead
    Options
    jono wrote: »

This is the root cause of most prejudices. Here in America most white people have very limited meaningful contact with black people. So the images, stories they see and hear shape their views. Oversees it's worse because most never see us at all, and only see the worse of us from the news(you usually don't make the news for good things).

You have no contact with these people, they talk weird, they look weird, they eat weird foods...yeah you probably not going to like them very much

do people feel this way about Hawaiians.
  • jono
    jono Members Posts: 30,280 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

How the hell would I know?
  • 2stepz_ahead
    Options

How the hell would I know?

one of those questions not directed.....nevermimd
  • Melqart
    Melqart Guests, Members Posts: 3,679 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Surprisingly enough, Chinese bigotry of black people predates the alantic slave trade. I read about it a couple years ago. They used to call black people demons because supposedly they had contact with black people with magic powers lol. Lemme see if I can find the document
  • Jabu_Rule
    Jabu_Rule Members Posts: 5,993 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2016
    Options

Flagged.

Anti-semitism is real, and has been a major historical phenomenon over many centuries. Why do you think the Holocaust happened? It was the culmination of something that has been going on for a long time. Read your history.

That, by the way, is not to say that in 2016 Jews are hated like us.

Jews were openly accepted and had an established religion in Africa until white people came through.
  • CracceR
    CracceR Members Posts: 4,346 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

alotta places jews are hated tho especially when they are recognizable with their yamaka or with them orthodox clothes and locks
  • CracceR
    CracceR Members Posts: 4,346 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Why are the Chinese racist towards us? They learned it from Europeans. If these cats are going to leave their country, they need to try and get to America, Canada, or Western Europe. At least in these countries, you'll have some sort of recourse in regards to blatant racism.

Also, you're in those people's countries. Not that I condone it, but I like I say with the illegals over here, you can't go to the next man's country, especially ones with homogeneous cultures such as the Chinks and the Dotheads and start demanding ? . Stay home, demand accountability from your government, get those wild ass Muslims under control, and develop the natural wealth of your nation so you don't have to leave.

maybe they just dislike you and it has nothing to do with whites
  • JokerzWyld
    JokerzWyld Members Posts: 5,483 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    It's true that many Asian groups don't mingle well with other ethnicities. Probably with good reason. Chinese and Japanese history was relatively peaceful until other people came in to upset their societies. The Chinese century of humiliation began when the British came to what is now Hong Kong to sell ? . Japan had 200 years of peace until the US threatened them with war if they didn't trade. These once closed societies were now "new markets" to be exploited by whites.

Africans by contrast are much nicer to visitors. Their society is more open, and the people are more willing to understand others. This cultural practice is in direct contravention to those of Asia. It's not surprising to me that Asians are racist. They use it to insulate themselves culturally. I pity them though. As a traveler I notice that when I go places with Asian tourists they are more to themselves and not involved much with natives or the environment. That behavior can only limit a human being.
  • The Lonious Monk
    The Lonious Monk Members Posts: 26,258 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    JokerzWyld wrote: »
    It's true that many Asian groups don't mingle well with other ethnicities. Probably with good reason. Chinese and Japanese history was relatively peaceful until other people came in to upset their societies. The Chinese century of humiliation began when the British came to what is now Hong Kong to sell ? . Japan had 200 years of peace until the US threatened them with war if they didn't trade. These once closed societies were now "new markets" to be exploited by whites.

Africans by contrast are much nicer to visitors. Their society is more open, and the people are more willing to understand others. This cultural practice is in direct contravention to those of Asia. It's not surprising to me that Asians are racist. They use it to insulate themselves culturally. I pity them though. As a traveler I notice that when I go places with Asian tourists they are more to themselves and not involved much with natives or the environment. That behavior can only limit a human being.

Wh...what? Uhhh I suggest you check back on your history. I mean it could be argued that for both China and Japan, they were in the midst of relatively peaceful times before outsiders forced them to open up to the greater world, but it took a ? load of bloodshed and violence to get them to those peaceful times and there was no guarantee those times would have lasted had the outsiders not come.
  • Melqart
    Melqart Guests, Members Posts: 3,679 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Abraxas wrote: »
    Surprisingly enough, Chinese bigotry of black people predates the alantic slave trade. I read about it a couple years ago. They used to call black people demons because supposedly they had contact with black people with magic powers lol. Lemme see if I can find the document

Found it. Went ahead and provided an excerpt.
    The presence of kunlun slaves is plentiful in several short stories that appeared during the Tang dynasty. In these stories, they are portrayed as culturally Chinese (speaking Chinese, acting Chinese etc), heroic and resourceful. One example of these stories is Kunlun Nu also known as The Kunlun Slave or The Negrito Slave. The main character of this story, Mo Le is a time-honoured knight-errant in almost every way except that he is black. In Kunlun Nu, Mo Le uses his supernatural physical abilities to save his master’s lover from the harem of a court official.

There's a lot more to it, here's the link

https://beyondvictoriana.com/2011/01/14/africans-in-ancient-china-vice-versa-part-2-the-kunlun-servants-african-merchants-guest-blog-by-eccentric-yoruba/
  • Brother_Five
    Brother_Five Members Posts: 4,448 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I reject the notion that anti-blackness stems from ppl not being around black people.
    it stems from them being disgusting people.
  • The Lonious Monk
    Options
    I reject the notion that anti-blackness stems from ppl not being around black people.

I don't think that's true. It works in the other direction too. Like I have a lot of black family that don't really have a lot of interaction with whites, and some of them have weird ideas about how whites act. I realized they get it from tv.
  • Brother_Five
    Brother_Five Members Posts: 4,448 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

I don't think that's true. It works in the other direction too. Like I have a lot of black family that don't really have a lot of interaction with whites, and some of them have weird ideas about how whites act. I realized they get it from tv.

oh yeah?
    they're disgusting people.
  • caddo man
    caddo man Members Posts: 22,476 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I watch alot of videos from people that stay in China and I know alot of young students that go overseas for classes.

Blacks get a bad rap. No doubt! Chinese people or no different from from any society in the way they treat immigrants. It is a result of the pack mentality. Most people stick to the people that look like them. Indians, Filipinos, middle eastern are other minorities get treated the same way.

Now on the other spectrum. Whites get treated helluva of ways better. But are you surprised by that? This has been established.

One thing to note is African American get a certain respect in China over Native Africans. Reasoning is they know if we moved to China, We are perceived to be much more established than our counterparts that moved there for low or remedial work. This is shown when they hire actors to show off high rise apartments. They hire alot of foreigners that speak english, spanish, French or german. These foreigners range from white, black, or latino. White is better but black or brown will do.
  • The Lonious Monk
    Options

oh yeah?
    they're disgusting people.

I think simple would be more accurate. I don't really see how the act of filling in ignorance with pop depictions makes a person disgusting.