Are you for or against temporary music streaming exclusives in the rap game?

Options
MeekMonizzLLLLLLe14
MeekMonizzLLLLLLe14 Members Posts: 15,337 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited June 2016 in The Reason
I just wanna start this off by saying this isn't a tidal bashing thread but an overall music streaming bashing thread/poll. Even the products i use (spotify/apple music) are guilty of this ? . But overall i don't like the fuckery going on in the game where artists are hyping up singles and mixtapes and albums only to drop them for the first week or month and sometimes just a few days on one platform. I feel like this ? is like the console wars except i don't wanna sign up for 3 music services just to potentially get a decent album from a jay or desiigner or drake etc etc. What is your guys takes on this?

Are you for or against temporary music streaming exclusives in the rap game? 16 votes

For (support aritsts dropping exclusive albums/mixtapes only on 1 serivce)
43%
700lamontbdcFlightKingAlready Home_17StoneColdMikeyGetoBoyTsotsi Cape Town 7 votes
Against ( do not support the albums/mixtapes temporarily being on 1 service)
56%
nex ginanduinHustleThaDontompetrez3Mr.LVBussy_Getta FyHunnitMeekMonizzLLLLLLe14TheGOAT 9 votes

Comments

• Revolver Ocelot
    Revolver Ocelot Members Posts: 3,393 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Rapgodfather, Datpiff ect

Download song, album/mixtape

Upload to mp3 player and enjoy

Problem solved
  • The Recipe
    The Recipe Members Posts: 10,570 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Rapgodfather, Datpiff ect

Download song, album/mixtape

On to phone

Problem solved

• Mr.LV
    Mr.LV Members Posts: 14,089 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Give the music to the fans
  • nohiphop1
    nohiphop1 Members Posts: 600 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    No such thing as exclusive on the Internet.
    It will make its way to a download eventually.
    The industry changed that's all.
  • SheerExcellence
    SheerExcellence Members Posts: 6,140 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    as long as i get to hear it eventually i dont care...only problem is a bunch of these new albums are not relevant 1 month later. not to sound like an old man here, but very few new albums do i want to hear after a month...so if by the time it gets to spotify, its already out of the musical discussion, then i probably won't play it anyway.

for instance, i still haven't heard drake or kanye's new albums yet, but because i read the threads on them when they came out on apple or tidal, i had no desire to listen to them. they are both on spotify and i haven't listened to em yet, and don't think i will.
  • MeekMonizzLLLLLLe14
    Options
    as long as i get to hear it eventually i dont care...only problem is a bunch of these new albums are not relevant 1 month later. not to sound like an old man here, but very few new albums do i want to hear after a month...so if by the time it gets to spotify, its already out of the musical discussion, then i probably won't play it anyway.

for instance, i still haven't heard drake or kanye's new albums yet, but because i read the threads on them when they came out on apple or tidal, i had no desire to listen to them. they are both on spotify and i haven't listened to em yet, and don't think i will.

The bolded is what may ruin up and coming rappers getting smaller exclusive deals. Drake and Kanye will get big checks from services for their short term deals with apple music. But as far as a mid tier or up and coming rapper dropping your debut album exclusively on apple music may ruin your buzz. All it takes is a few apple music customers to say it was average then other fans will not listen after the delay.

Just like you said you finally got those albums on spotify and you ain't even check for it. I think that may ruin smaller level rappers buzz.
  • BobOblah
    BobOblah Members Posts: 9,324 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I don't have any streaming service so "exclusive"= illegal download for me.

If it comes out on CD or iTunes I'll support my favorite artists
  • The Recipe
    The Recipe Members Posts: 10,570 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

What happened to listening to music because you like music?
  • SheerExcellence
    Options
    The Recipe wrote: »

What happened to listening to music because you like music?

nothing.

we talking about how streaming on one site might affect us, i gave an example.
  • FlightKing
    FlightKing Members Posts: 1,921 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I like the idea a lot. People always had to wait on music, but in these times, waiting is like torture. Exclusives bring value to the services and to the artists too. Then again, I pay for 3 or 4 services cause I'm bout that life.
  • 5 Grand
    5 Grand Members Posts: 12,869 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I liked the way they did it in the 90s and early 00s. The DJ would yell over the music but you'd still get to hear it. If you really wanted the song without the DJ yelling you'd have to buy it. Inevitably somebody would buy it and upload it without the yelling but when the song first came out, or before it came out, the DJ would yell over it.
  • Idiopathic Joker
    Idiopathic Joker Members, Moderators Posts: 45,691 Regulator
    Options
    Torrents make everything available. Nothing is exclusive.
  • SheerExcellence
    Options

lolol
    you sound like a damn computer hacking nerd

"oh you want credit card numbers? i can get you credit card numbers! torrents make everything available. nothing is exclusive"
  • Idiopathic Joker
    Idiopathic Joker Members, Moderators Posts: 45,691 Regulator
    Options

lolol

"oh you want credit card numbers? i can get you credit card numbers! torrents make everything available. nothing is exclusive"

Talking about music, have you ever used torrents?
  • lazypakman
    lazypakman Members Posts: 4,913 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

lolol

Just 'hacker' by itself suffices my friend.

No need for all them other fancy words.
  • SheerExcellence
    Options

lolol

i just attacked you because of your avatar, it hurts my soul.
  • GetoBoy
    GetoBoy Members Posts: 3,879 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I'm all for artist getting they money however they can I mean ? it aint like most fans pay for music these days anyways so why should the artist lose money for ppl who ain't even gonna buy it to begin with...... If I REALLY wanna hear something not on my streaming service it the internet makes it so easy so ? don't bother me not one bit
    700 Members Posts: 14,496 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I like it for the artist

I'm gon download it eventually anyway but I still like it
  • rapmusic
    rapmusic Members Posts: 4,130 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I don't know what to think about it. I just know that I'm not getting all these streaming services just to get a couple albums tho.
  • anduin
    anduin Members Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    anything that makes me do more than what I have means I just go to means #2 aka the internet
  • Shizlansky
    Shizlansky Members Posts: 35,095 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    It's their "art"

Let them do what they want with it.
  • MeekMonizzLLLLLLe14
    edited June 2016
    Options
    Shizlansky wrote: »
    It's their "art"

Let them do what they want with it.

They can but in many ways they are selling out the fans. They are pretty much saying ? the free market i am gunna take a payday from a service and let my album flop sales wise for a week. Everyone appears to be worried about the artists well being but nobody cares about the fans access (legally without torrents).

For someone like me i pay good money to see artists at live shows and will plan trips to a city just to see an artists show. So in many ways I care about the artists by supporting their tour. Even with these streaming deals 95% of aritsts are gunna get their money from a tour and or merch versus an album.

So to me the tradeoff should be that either

A) the album is available from day 1 to buy anywhere on any music store/service

b) if you release a ? damn mixtape release it for everyone to hear from 1 or more free mixtape sites. ? these tidal or apple music "mixtape" exclusives. The whole point of a mixtape is to promote your music and draw fans to see you live.