Apple In Talks To Acquire Tidal

Comments

• gns
    gns Members Posts: 21,285 ✭✭✭✭✭
    This mightve been the plan in the first place
  • nohiphop1
    nohiphop1 Members Posts: 600 ✭✭✭✭
    Buy and shut down= apple's m.o when they acquire companies.
  • za'kiss
    za'kiss Members Posts: 1,564 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2016
    It's arguably a win for Jay-Z, but it's an L for black people.

Tidal is a black owned company that, although not yet a threat to Apple Music or Spotify, is a unique music service with huge upside and clearly on the radar of both companies. Apple would be seizing a golden opportunity to takeover a somewhat struggling company with great potential that would all but guarantee Apple's stranglehold on the industry. I wouldn't be surprised if they immediately shut Tidal down or integrated a watered down version into Apple Music, likely eliminating the costly lossless option (one of Tidal's biggest draws) and many of the exclusives given by artists who chose Tidal specifically because (a) Tidal pays them more than its competitors and (b) it's run by Jay-Z and Beyoncé (among other black owners).

Say what you want about Tidal's faults and weaknesses, the controversy surrounding its roll out, or its general business model. I am not defending any of that at present (although I have given a measured defense in other places). But it's undeniable that Tidal represents a unique place in the industry, particularly for black entrepreneurs, which is reflected in the fact that they are the company with the sole rights to stream Prince's discography (a decision whose principle would be undermined if Apple was able to acquire the rights by simply buying Tidal).
  • usmarin3
    usmarin3 Members Posts: 38,013 ✭✭✭✭✭
    ? can't play that race card ? when it's ? who are the main ones ? on it at the same time. ? and them Silicon Valley tech nerds.

Which is it? Maintain black owned businesses or "? Tidal, i ain't paying no 15 dollars", "Jay-z is already rich'',etc.
  • za'kiss
    za'kiss Members Posts: 1,564 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2016
    usmarin3 wrote: »
    ? can't play that race card ? when it's ? who are the main ones ? on it at the same time. ? and them Silicon Valley tech nerds.

I'm a subscriber - full disclosure - but I'm also (hopefully) a constructive critic. Why? Because I want Tidal to succeed and beat out the competition. Tidal has made mistakes, especially at its rollout, but this past year has been great for Tidal, and a lot of that is due to the fact that Jay-Z responded to the criticism. Now he's potentially in position the sell the company probably in part because of that fact.

Nevertheless, there has been a lot of mean spirited criticism from people within the community who criticize and actively root for the company to fail. This is unfortunate and I think that black people should be more vocal in their support of the company. I think a lot of the mean-spirited criticism of Tidal is irrational and not well motivated.

Which is it? Maintain black owned businesses or "? Tidal, i ain't paying no 15 dollars", "Jay-z is already rich'',etc.

Again, I'm a subscriber and support Tidal. Those who were rooting for Tidal to fail now probably aren't too disappointed by this news, unless they don't want to see Jay-Z get a big paycheck. Keep in mind - nearly half of Tidal subscribers are black. That's unprecedented (compare to the 16% on Spotify and presumably less on Apple). So it's probably true black people are some of Tidal's most vocal critics, but they're among its biggest supporters too. Like I said though, I generally agree that blacks should be more vocal in support of Tidal and what it represents, however.
  • MeekMonizzLLLLLLe14
    MeekMonizzLLLLLLe14 Members Posts: 15,337 ✭✭✭✭✭
    GetoBoy wrote: »
    Yall act like Jay just sold them Tidal though...

Lol at Geto Boy cosigning this like he ain't already posting about how jay out here playing chess.

This is all chess it's business smh

Jay would catch a body and you would say "Yup all part of the plan hes a business man". Lol ? is pathetic.

Wtf??? Bruh you a extra kind of wack I see why ppl see you as a joke around these parts smh

If this was any other rapper but hov that owned tidal you would be saying that they were trying to sell out their business for the white mans paycheck. But if Jay ever sells this ? to a rival streaming service like spotify or apple (both who you have shown hate for) you will be bragging like you getting a cut of Jays deal.

Last month you were knocking Apple for potentially getting rid of the i tunes store. Now rumours that Hov might sell to them and you ready to pop bottles in anticipation of Jay making tons of money.
  • StoneColdMikey
    StoneColdMikey Members, Moderators Posts: 33,543 Regulator
    Couple months ago was talks about Samsung buying tidal... Don't believe it
  • jono
    jono Members Posts: 30,280 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If Apple is buying they will sell. Support black businesses
  • GetoBoy
    GetoBoy Members Posts: 3,879 ✭✭✭✭✭

Lol at Geto Boy cosigning this like he ain't already posting about how jay out here playing chess.

Jay would catch a body and you would say "Yup all part of the plan hes a business man". Lol ? is pathetic.

Wtf??? Bruh you a extra kind of wack I see why ppl see you as a joke around these parts smh

If this was any other rapper but hov that owned tidal you would be saying that they were trying to sell out their business for the white mans paycheck. But if Jay ever sells this ? to a rival streaming service like spotify or apple (both who you have shown hate for) you will be bragging like you getting a cut of Jays deal.

Last month you were knocking Apple for potentially getting rid of the i tunes store. Now rumours that Hov might sell to them and you ready to pop bottles in anticipation of Jay making tons of money.

? show me any history of myself saying a rapper making money is him selling out to the white man??? Hate ? that really just make up an opinion you would have without seeing a history of you doing it smh..... And I had a problem with Apple getting rid of iTunes becuz that would basically force ppl to HAVE to sign up to Apple music rather then it just being a choice wtf do that gotta do with this??? Just ? bruh you sounding more and more dumb by the post
  • D0wn
    D0wn Members Posts: 10,818 ✭✭✭✭✭

The ones who want Jigga to maintain Tidal or obvious subscribers...
    The lnes saying ? Tidal are obvious dusty ass bums, who cant afford a subscription.
    Its not that difficult.

• MeekMonizzLLLLLLe14

? show me any history of myself saying a rapper making money is him selling out to the white man??? Hate ? that really just make up an opinion you would have without seeing a history of you doing it smh..... And I had a problem with Apple getting rid of iTunes becuz that would basically force ppl to HAVE to sign up to Apple music rather then it just being a choice wtf do that gotta do with this??? Just ? bruh you sounding more and more dumb by the post

The bolded makes no sense.The rumor is that the i tunes store (not i tunes) would be removed. If you actually used i tunes you would realize you can import digital albums from other music stores like amazon for free to i tunes without singing for apple music or going to the i tunes store. this clearly shows how dumb you are. you don't get that i tunes the product that stores your music and downloads it to devices can be used without the store or apple music.

A rapper making money is separate from a rapper selling a business which is what i accused you of doing. You are basing your reactions and opinions on everything happening off the fact this has to do with the rapper you dickride nonstop out here.
  • Candleguy
    Candleguy Members Posts: 108 ✭✭✭
    IF apple wants to buy Tidal they have the money to do it

I'll be surprised if Hov the businessman doesn't OK the move.

If it was me I'd use the Apple billions to invest directly into black neighborhoods (artistically, open up studios, help finance new labels) since I personally don't see how a streaming service is really elevating black folk.
  • MeekMonizzLLLLLLe14
    edited July 2016
    Candleguy wrote: »
    IF apple wants to buy Tidal they have the money to do it

I'll be surprised if Hov the businessman doesn't OK the move.

If it was me I'd use the Apple billions to invest directly into black neighborhoods (artistically, open up studios, help finance new labels) since I personally don't see how a streaming service is really elevating black folk.

You're right supporting tidal doesn't help black people. All it does is get jay richer and allow him to brag about his white circles of rich friends most black people will never be allowed to hang wtih.
  • GetoBoy

The bolded makes no sense.The rumor is that the i tunes store (not i tunes) would be removed. If you actually used i tunes you would realize you can import digital albums from other music stores like amazon for free to i tunes without singing for apple music or going to the i tunes store. this clearly shows how dumb you are. you don't get that i tunes the product that stores your music and downloads it to devices can be used without the store or apple music.

A rapper making money is separate from a rapper selling a business which is what i accused you of doing. You are basing your reactions and opinions on everything happening off the fact this has to do with the rapper you dickride nonstop out here.

Yo ? ass talking like you know the details of the deal would look like.....see that's why yo avi look the way it do now becuz you don't know when stop being dumb and actually get out yo hate feelings and think... And if you don't believe Apple was thinking of getting rid of iTunes to improve their apple music numbers you're more of an idiot then I thought.....but ima fall back off this type of talk with you becuz you've already shown you don't be knowing what you talking bout
  • MeekMonizzLLLLLLe14

Yo ? ass talking like you know the details of the deal would look like.....see that's why yo avi look the way it do now becuz you don't know when stop being dumb and actually get out yo hate feelings and think... And if you don't believe Apple was thinking of getting rid of iTunes to improve their apple music numbers you're more of an idiot then I thought.....but ima fall back off this type of talk with you becuz you've already shown you don't be knowing what you talking bout

Apple was never thinking of getting rid of i-tunes. There were rumor's that the digital store where you can purchase music. I tunes was never rumored to be removed and that is a fact. I-Tunes encourages you to import music from other music stores and or CD's. ? if you trapping out the bandwith it will find album artwork for your music you import. All of this can be done for free without signing up for apple music as well.

Again reports were that they were cutting the i tunes store not the i tunes application/program. You sound dumb as hell lol.
  • GetoBoy
    edited July 2016
    I'm off it bruh whatever you say.... Guess I'll be the ? while you be the smart one with the L all through yo avi and profile name *shrugs* lol
  • anduin
    anduin Members Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭✭✭
    these companies selling for billions off the back of music's back, these companies are the new record labels
  • Stew
    Stew Members, Moderators, Writer Posts: 52,234 Regulator
    Why. So. Invested. In. This. ? .
  • DarthRozay
    DarthRozay Members Posts: 20,570 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Stew wrote: »
    Why. So. Invested. In. This. ? .

"My favorite rapper invested in this company so it's ride or die til it's stock prices crash!"

shout out to the dudes who still keep their fridges full of crunk juice like a 02 episode of mtv cribs
  • rapmusic
    rapmusic Members Posts: 4,130 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Heads are going to explode if Tidal is actually sold! I mean somebody has to go because there are too many streaming services out here, but not Tidal.. Not like this.. Jay better hold the ? out! We all know why they want Tidal. Don't you do it Jay lol! Twitter is going to ? be on fire!
  • rip.dilla
    rip.dilla Members Posts: 17,412 ✭✭✭✭✭
    These threads always bring out the worst in stans. I laugh at you ? living your lives vicariously through HOV

Anyways Apple wanting to purchase Tidal to me seems like the competition from Tidal getting too much for Apple, with the array of artistes on there: the biggest Black artistes on the planet are all on Tidal...

About Prince's catalogue... well it's just what he himself released that we all heard. I think he got a pretty huge stash at his mansion 'cos he wasn't orthodox with his music. He made music whenever he felt like. Hence his falling out with Warner Bros. in the 90s

I'll watch and see how this goes but I see Jay probably buying into Apple Inc. stock as returns for a possible deal with 'em. I'm sure all them Tidal artistes use Apple products everyday... anyway
  • not_osirus_jenkins
    not_osirus_jenkins Members, Banned Users Posts: 3,670 ✭✭✭✭✭
    D0wn wrote: »
    I knew it. And he'll be a billionaire and stay on the payroll as a spokesman or a corporate position.

U goofy ? stilll dont get it.... Tidal was the only blk owned music streaming service...
    Alot of ? was eating because of Tidal. For one, the money and violence ? .

Ownership is important. I hope Hov don't sell.

? so? When did Shawn Carter become obligated to put food in a ? mouth? The only reason I don't want him to sell is so those cacs can't have Prince music. Anything other than that is selfish ? . Let that man be great how he chooses.
  • Stiff
    Stiff Members Posts: 7,723 ✭✭✭✭✭
    D0wn wrote: »
    I knew it. And he'll be a billionaire and stay on the payroll as a spokesman or a corporate position.

U goofy ? stilll dont get it.... Tidal was the only blk owned music streaming service...
    Alot of ? was eating because of Tidal. For one, the money and violence ? .

Ownership is important. I hope Hov don't sell.

? so? When did Shawn Carter become obligated to put food in a ? mouth? The only reason I don't want him to sell is so those cacs can't have Prince music. Anything other than that is selfish ? . Let that man be great how he chooses.

If this was just any other business I'd say ? all you bitter ass ? sell sell sell get this money

But the way he pushed Tidal was on some "rebel against the establishment" ? . He got all the artists to sign with TIdal because he told them they were going to be able to write their own story and have more control of their income. Him selling so soon it would be a slap in the face to those artists and the fans who supported the company because they believed in what he was pushing.

lol it'd LITERALLY be selling out. That being said...ppl jumping the gun acting like the sell already happened..they just in "talks"...that could mean anything.