Better year: 1997 WWF or 1998 WWF

Options
5th Letter
5th Letter Members, Moderators, Writer Posts: 37,068 Regulator
edited July 2016 in Off The Turn Buckle
These are arguably the 2 best years in WWF history. Which year do you think was better. Factor in everything. Storylines, in ring work, roster etc.

Better year: 1997 WWF or 1998 WWF 14 votes

1997 WWF
35%
5th LetterjonoBroddieSwiffness!JohnBlackwell 5 votes
1998 WWF
64%
DupacwillhustleCymicaldanePanchoYoSanchoDOPEdweebzTheBoyRoVader_F_KennedygenocidecutterOGDirtyDee 9 votes

Comments

• OGDirtyDee
    OGDirtyDee Members Posts: 1,699 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2016
    Options
    1998 WWF
    98 for me, even tho the main events weren't Bret and Michaels type matches the story lines were solid. Also 98 is whej the Midcard started becoming entertaining again for me. 97 still a solid year tho
  • TheBoyRo
    TheBoyRo Members Posts: 13,647 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    1998 WWF
    98 was when the wwf stared to overtake wcw. I know the screw job happened in 97 but the wwf came full circle in 98
  • dalyricalbandit
    dalyricalbandit Members, Moderators Posts: 67,918 Regulator
    edited July 2016
    Options
    98 was more entertaining.

but 97 had the better wrestling ? felt more real also
  • 5th Letter
    Options
    1997 WWF
    For me its 1997. Better main event scene with Bret, Shawn, Taker, Vader, Sid (early 97), and an ascending Steve Austin. The quality of the ring work was better, once Bret and Shawn left the match quality declined. Better storylines the Paul Bearer/Undertaker/Kane angle. USA vs Canada, DX vs The Hart Foundation. Better mid card with Ken Shamrock, The Rock, Davey Boy Smith, Brian Pillman, Hunter Hearst Helmsley, Goldust, Mankind etc.
  • Peezy_Jenkins
    Peezy_Jenkins Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 33,205 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I gotta go 98 cuz that's when I started watching, I should go check 97 as much as I can on the network
  • genocidecutter
    genocidecutter Members Posts: 17,825 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    1998 WWF
    98 aka best year of the attitude era
  • DOPEdweebz
    DOPEdweebz Members, Moderators, Writer Posts: 29,364 Regulator
    edited July 2016
    Options
    1998 WWF
    98 was the perfect mixture (and transitioning) of 97 rawness (pun intended) and 99s clean character marketing, look, overall appeal, peak fan interest, fan involvement, and had formula down to a science.

98-99 were my personal two favorite years of the Attitude Era. WCW died by 99 in comparison, nevermind how 2000 started..
  • Broddie
    Broddie Members Posts: 11,750 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    1997 WWF
    '97 was magic. All of a sudden it went from straight trash to must see TV. Austin Vs. Michaels 1997 is one of the GOAT WWF feuds.
  • dalyricalbandit
    edited August 2016
    Options
    Broddie wrote: »
    '97 was magic. All of a sudden it went from straight trash to must see TV. Austin Vs. Michaels 1997 is one of the GOAT WWF feuds.

That was 98

In 97!Austin was fueding with Bret then Owen in the mid card that year.

Hbk and Bret fued late summer till S Series.
  • Broddie
    Broddie Members Posts: 11,750 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    1997 WWF
    You're right that's when Owen broke Austin's neck.
  • DOPEdweebz
    DOPEdweebz Members, Moderators, Writer Posts: 29,364 Regulator
    Options
    1998 WWF

That was 98

Pretty much proves my point.
  • 5th Letter
    Options
    1997 WWF

That was 98

They feuded in '97 too which led to a match at KOTR.
  • JohnBlackwell
    JohnBlackwell Members Posts: 134 ✭✭
    Options
    1997 WWF
    For them and their $$$$ 98 without a doubt, but 97 had the best match of the two (Hart/Austin WM13), the best start to finish PPV (Canadian Stampede) and the most memorable moment (Screw Job).

Proper makes you appreciate Bret when you look at it like that.
  • dalyricalbandit
    Options
    For them and their $$$$ 98 without a doubt, but 97 had the best match of the two (Hart/Austin WM13), the best start to finish PPV (Canadian Stampede) and the most memorable moment (Screw Job).

Proper makes you appreciate Bret when you look at it like that.

U know what I never looked at it like that This make Bret goat soot even more official.

Let's not forget

Bret and Austin rumble show down Austin on the top rope when brets music hits.

Bret after his cage match with Sid the promo he did.

Summer slam vs taker and spittin on HBK.

• PanchoYoSancho
    PanchoYoSancho Members Posts: 13,177 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    1998 WWF
    97 had the better headliners, but was severly lacking in the undercard until the later part of the year.
  • Cymicaldane
    Cymicaldane Members Posts: 2,109 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    1998 WWF
    90 was a very hot year in wrestling in general. You had Kane vs Taker with Austin as special ref. Austin vs Taker at IYH: Rock Bottom was alright, the ladder match at Summerslam and of course Taker vs Mankind at KOTR
  • willhustle
    willhustle Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 6,550 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2016
    Options
    1998 WWF
    I'm a say this...

WWF (yeah we get it's WWE now) throughout the 90's was on a down slide from '92 until about the spring of '97. The entire 1990's in WWF was in a transitional period and business really didn't start come back around until after the WM 13 submission match with Bret & SCSA imo. The following year WWF took off again and had another boom period with the Attitude Era like they did with the Hulkamania Era in the 80's.

'97

- Undertaker regains the WWF title after a near 6 year drought. (After the title picture for the first 2 months was a mess)

- Stone Cold wins the Royal Rumble, ends up in a classic WM submission match, wins the tag team and IC titles (almost paralyzed at Summerslam), regains it at Survivor Series.

-Bret turns goes heel at WrestleMania 13 wins beats the ? out of Stone Cold. Starts the Hart Foundation stable and is boo'ed like hell in America across arenas but cheered everywhere else around the world. Wins WWF Title at Summerslam after HBK hits Taker with a chair.

-First HIAC match happens in October between HBK/Taker (Kane debuts), HBK regains title at Survivor Series in infamous screwjob angle orchestrated by Vince, HHH, & HBK.

'98

-Stone Cold wins the Rumble again and actually goes on to Mania this time and wins the title. The Attitude Era begins. Vince constantly throws obstacles at Stone Cold.

-DX takes off and becomes very popular after HBK leaves.
    -Taker throws Mankind off HIAC at KOTR, Kane wins the title at KOTR, Ken Shamrock wins KOTR
    -The Rock and HHH feuded all throughout the summer and finished the feud in lC title ladder match at SummerSlam
    -The Rock wins vacant WWF title at Survivor Series in Deadly Games tournament.

I think '97-98 were about neck & neck with each other but I'll give '98 the win because no ? was given.

• jono
    jono Members Posts: 30,280 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    1997 WWF
    They were all out of ? in late 1997
  • willhustle
    willhustle Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 6,550 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    1998 WWF
    jono wrote: »
    They were all out of ? in late 1997

I agree in late '97 they started wildin with HIAC, Montreal screwjob, DX finally becoming official around Oct-Dec of that year along with having their own PPV. Everybody knew Stone Cold was on his way to becoming the top guy.