Was Cleopatra Black?

Options
Maximus Rex
Maximus Rex Members Posts: 6,354 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited July 2010 in R & R (Religion and Race)
Just a random thought running through my head. Was Cleopatra black, mixed, or white? Chime in.

Comments

• bankrupt baller
    bankrupt baller Members Posts: 12,927 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2010
    Options
    im pretty sure she was black
  • whar67
    whar67 Members Posts: 542
    edited July 2010
    Options
    Cleopatra was Greek. He family was famous of being insular from the rest of Egypt. She in fact was the first Ptolemy in 300 hundred years of rule to actually speak the language.

The only issue of Cleopatra origin that is 'mysterious' is her maternal grandmother is unknown. She could have been a mix of Greek and Egyptian descent if this grandmother was egyptian.
  • the_underground
    the_underground Members Posts: 1,561 ✭✭
    edited July 2010
    Options
    whar67 wrote: »
    Cleopatra was Greek. He family was famous of being insular from the rest of Egypt. She in fact was the first Ptolemy in 300 hundred years of rule to actually speak the language.

The only issue of Cleopatra origin that is 'mysterious' is her maternal grandmother is unknown. She could have been a mix of Greek and Egyptian descent if this grandmother was egyptian.

? this post. lol That ? was Black.
  • DarcSkies777
    DarcSkies777 Members Posts: 5,600 ✭✭✭
    edited July 2010
    Options
    Well she was black but in her depictions in Greece she purposely made herself more European looking to better "relate" to the Greeks. Her true face was reserved for her own people.

^^^ 4:15 - 4:50to explain her depiction as a European/Mixed type...

Skip to 6:20 to hear and see a CPU model of her face based on historical accounts and her blood line etc.

The ? up thing is the true and historic and scientific account of her true face is only about 2 minutes of this hour to 2 hour long special. Then they go right back to portraying her as a damn white ? .
  • konceptjones
    konceptjones Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 13,139 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2010
    Options
    im pretty sure she was black

she was supposed to be a descendant of the family of Alexander the Great, a Greek, who's lineage ruled Egypt for nearly 300 years. If so, then she was of Greek heritage, but that doesn't mean that the family didn't intermingle with the native Egyptians. In fact, there's a bit of mystery surrounding her mother, Cleopatra V, as to whether she was an illegitimate child of Ptolemy IX and then who her mother was.
  • DarcSkies777
    DarcSkies777 Members Posts: 5,600 ✭✭✭
    edited July 2010
    Options
    BTW your poll is misleading. BLACK/AFRIKAN is a RACE you have a lot of NATIONALITIES listed.

FYI...carry on.
  • Maximus Rex
    edited July 2010
    Options
    BTW your poll is misleading. BLACK/AFRIKAN is a RACE you have a lot of NATIONALITIES listed.

FYI...carry on.

I thought about that, but I felt it was important to include the nationalities.
  • Sourpatch Kid
    Sourpatch Kid Members Posts: 3,809 ✭✭✭
    edited July 2010
    Options
    Africans, Egyptians, Moors were all considered black or darker skinned. Being dark represented power according to Shakespeare. Blacks were feared and in war we disguised ourselves as animals, especially when Hannibal took over parts of Athens, Greece and many European nations before forfeiting them back so yea Cleopatra was black and as a matter of fact any Egyptian statue that has had it's nose cut off has black ancestry because the noses were cut off to prevent archeologist from determining the ethnicity of these people and they fear what they don't know. The first ancestors to actually settle in America were black and the only evidence of this is the Olmec heads which the mayans and aztecs built to mimic black people with broad lips and noses.
    4l4qaq.jpg
  • garv
    garv Confirm Email Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭
    edited July 2010
    Options
    Cleopatra was Macedonian, she wasn't a real queen anyways.

And she was courted by two white men in Marc Anthony and Caesar, what makes you think she was black?
  • theillestrator
    theillestrator Members Posts: 1,085 ✭✭
    edited July 2010
    Options
    Cleopatra was indeed a mix of Laotian and Inuit. I thought everyone knew this by now.
  • Maximus Rex
    edited July 2010
    Options
    garv wrote: »
    Cleopatra was Macedonian, she wasn't a real queen anyways.

And she was courted by two white men in Marc Anthony and Caesar, what makes you think she was black?

Dude, you have to understand something. Romans didn't trip off of race the way people eventually did. They felt you were inferior just of off the strength of people not being citizens of the Republic and late the Empire. Though the Romans did hold the Greeks in high esteem, considering Rome essentially "bit," Greek culture. When Anthony and Caesar saw Cleopatra, they didn't what we would term a "black chick," they saw an exotic looking Egyptian chick who was very charismatic and probably had an extraordinarily sensual and sexy aurora about herself.

As far as how she looked I'm thinking it's possible that she might have light skinned chick. I read that one of relatives was an Egyptian concubine or that she might have been white. I've come to this conclusion because of the incestuous relationships between the Ptolemies. If I was forced to guess, I figured resemble a chick that looks like Mariah Carey or Halle Berry.
  • garv
    garv Confirm Email Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭
    edited July 2010
    Options
    Dude, you have to understand something. Romans didn't trip off of race the way people eventually did. They felt you were inferior just of off the strength of people not being citizens of the Republic and late the Empire. Though the Romans did hold the Greeks in high esteem, considering Rome essentially "bit," Greek culture. When Anthony and Caesar saw Cleopatra, they didn't what we would term a "black chick," they saw an exotic looking Egyptian chick who was very charismatic and probably had an extraordinarily sensual and sexy aurora about herself.

As far as how she looked I'm thinking it's possible that she might have light skinned chick. I read that one of relatives was an Egyptian concubine or that she might have been white. I've come to this conclusion because of the incestuous relationships between the Ptolemies. If I was forced to guess, I figured resemble a chick that looks like Mariah Carey or Halle Berry.

She was a plotemy, she had no Indigenous African lineage to my knowledge, people just want to make her seem as she was African, when she was not she was a fake queen.
  • Chike
    Chike Members Posts: 2,702 ✭✭✭
    edited July 2010
    Options
    Just wondering why bloth Black and Nubian were on the list. What's the difference?

I voted Black btw.
  • And Step
    And Step Members Posts: 3,726 ✭✭✭
    edited July 2010
    Options
    I don't know but her both of her babys' daddy was white dudes.
  • hrap-120
    hrap-120 Members Posts: 9,449 ✭✭✭
    edited July 2010
    Options
    garv wrote: »
    She was a plotemy, she had no Indigenous African lineage to my knowledge, people just want to make her seem as she was African, when she was not she was a fake queen.
    Seti said the exact same thing.