Don Lemoán Confronts Black Lives Matter Leader: Why Not Change Police Depts From Within...

stringer bell
stringer bell Members Posts: 26,212 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited July 2016 in For The Grown & Sexy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SulLXK93jMk

http://www.mediaite.com/tv/don-lemon-confronts-black-lives-matter-leader-why-not-change-police-depts-from-within/
The Dallas police chief today said activists could make a difference in their communities by joining the police force, but a Black Lives Matter leader on CNN told Don Lemon today that’s a bad idea.

Activist and California State University professor Melina Abdullah said that what Black Lives Matter wants is a “transformation of the system of policing” where black men are being shot down by the police.

Lemon argued that it could be productive for the movement if activists who want to change the system join it so that they could bring about substantive reforms from within. He said that would be a “great way” to change relationships between police and minority communities.

“We don’t,” she shot back, “want to be incorporated into the system of policing that’s fundamentally oppressive.”

Lemon insisted unity is important and said it’s a good opportunity to be teachers in the community. Abdullah asked, “Why would we want police to be teachers?”

Comments

• blackgod813
    blackgod813 Members Posts: 9,577 ✭✭✭✭✭
    He right they just wana ? ..change laws..become cops ..judges blah
  • AP21
    AP21 Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 17,743 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Was Don always coonin? Serious question. I swear ever since dude came out the closet, he been on some real ? ? . Not even Tom Dubois was this bad and he was a fictional character.

Why not use this platform as an opportunity to ask, oh gee idk, the police chief himself what kinda reform they are going to do?
  • StoneColdMikey
    StoneColdMikey Members, Moderators Posts: 33,543 Regulator
    Don't see how this is bad but whatever
  • Stiff
    Stiff Members Posts: 7,723 ✭✭✭✭✭
    AP21 wrote: »
    Was Don always coonin? Serious question. I swear ever since dude came out the closet, he been on some real ? ? . Not even Tom Dubois was this bad and he was a fictional character.

Why not use this platform as an opportunity to ask, oh gee idk, the police chief himself what kinda reform they are going to do?

The first time he came on my radar as a ? was when he did this list of 5 things Black people need to do to improve their conditions on CNN....and one of them was stop saying "? " and another was pull up our pants. I was like oh this ? ? AND he a ? how tf you gonna be both
  • blackgod813
    Don't see how this is bad but whatever

• ThaNubianGod
    ThaNubianGod Members Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭✭✭
    ? , have to agree with Tom Dubois on this. The only way to root out racism is to put your own on the beat.
  • ThaNubianGod
    ? , have to agree with Tom Dubois on this. The only way to root out racism is to put your own on the beat.

I see both sides. On the one hand, u have people saying u should become a cop to change the problems within. On the other, u have the reality that police policies will never change unless they're held accountable for their actions. The best way to change their behavior?? Start handing out real sentences for the "mistakes" they keep making

The best way to change behavior is to make PDs in black communities not appealing for racists. That means getting your own on the beat, filling the detective roles with your own, and then having those cops ascend the ranks to management positions. Instead we do the opposite and discourage black cops from even working black communities, and instead many will choose white/latino/asian hoods.
  • AZTG
    AZTG Members Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭✭✭
    ? like this is good in theory, but its not realistic. can anyone name any instance in history where the oppressor allowed the oppressed into his platform and then gave the oppressed positions of power and allowed the oppressed to make changes? no one can because this doesnt happen with humans.

change is always made from various forms of pressure applied from the outside
  • Stiff
    AZTG wrote: »
    ? like this is good in theory, but its not realistic. can anyone name any instance in history where the oppressor allowed the oppressed into his platform and then gave the oppressed positions of power and allowed the oppressed to make changes? no one can because this doesnt happen with humans.

aint nothing to really discuss

the ultimate truth is ? is comfortable and ? , STILL, aint bad enough

we can talk and dance around that all day, but were dependant and wont get off the ? till were forced to by circumstance

was telling a friend this exact same thing today. The problem ain't SOOOO bad where it can't be willfully ignored for most people.
  • Paprika
    Paprika Members Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Impossible. This is one fight that can't be won. Police tactics and more importantly the mentality has been grandfathered into the foundation.

To change the culture is akin to insubordination. We've all seen the complaints and reports from women and minorities that it's an old man's club. You get with the current dark policies and advance or be assigned to lowly tasks and excluded from the group due to the different mindset.
  • Mr.LV
    Mr.LV Members Posts: 14,089 ✭✭✭✭✭
    There is plenty of black people on the police force across the country and the system has not change.
  • iron man1
    iron man1 Members Posts: 29,989 ✭✭✭✭✭

You're definitely in the 5 worst posters on here.
  • 7figz
    7figz Members Posts: 15,294 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2016
    Melinda Abdullah handled that condescending little ? applaudingly.

FOH here with this nonsense. She answered the question very efficiently.

You think the cops in there right now are making changes ? FOH. Ask Officer Nakia Jones if they haven't fired her yet for speaking out.

They're trying to put you in at a powerless level where you can't do ? .
  • blackgod813
    iron man1 wrote: »

Suck my dead daddy roting ? an .My future daughter ? I'm loved how block me...i wish I could dig my mama up an lay u next to her I hate your kids an people who know may we see each other soon
  • blackgod813
    iron man1 wrote: »

? get involved You a hoe complaining on the net....
  • Stiff
    I love this idea that in order to ensure I'm not brutalized by police I should say ? all my hopes dreams and aspirations and become the police
  • ThaNubianGod
    AZTG wrote: »

Off the top of my head, sports leagues comes to mind. we were first not even allowed to play, but as we had players join....then ascend the ranks into coaching, and even ownership, it has drastically changed.

Military comes quickly to mind after that. I know plenty who did well with a career there. We also have quite a bit of black leadership in the Armed Forces.

As for "change is always made from various forms of pressure applied from the outside", sorry but this is false. Anyone who's worked in a office knows that there's a VAST difference between the culture when you have actually numbers versus being only one or two black people working there. Outside forces can't ? to the inside, you have to change it from within.
  • usmarin3
    usmarin3 Members Posts: 38,013 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2016
    I was watching this ? live and shaking my head at the same time. Lemon think assimilating is going to change decades of institutional racism. This issue is bigger than the police department. This a federal, constitutional, and state issue. These laws need to be look at by the legislative and judicial branch. It's some racist laws on the books.

• ThaNubianGod
    Paprika wrote: »
    Impossible. This is one fight that can't be won. Police tactics and more importantly the mentality has been grandfathered into the foundation.

To change the culture is akin to insubordination. We've all seen the complaints and reports from women and minorities that it's an old man's club. You get with the current dark policies and advance or be assigned to lowly tasks and excluded from the group due to the different mindset.

You fix an old man's club by changing its membership. Makes no sense having white dudes with sketchy intentions patrolling black communities. So....replace them with people who actually give a ? , it's really that simple. Right now too many black officers get scattered around to different PDs where they're only a fraction of the force. One cop on a force with 50 others can't do ? to change culture, but if you put 30 black cops on that force you can't damn well expect a change.