Anyone upgrade their ps4 hard drive??

Options
Lou Cypher
Lou Cypher Members Posts: 52,521 ✭✭✭✭✭
I'm running out of space on my ps4. I mainly buy my games physically and never download much, but I downloaded a free game recently and I couldn't play for a bit cuz I needed more space. Has anyone changed out their ps4 hard drive for one with more space? Have any recommendations on how to do it? Other possible solutions? I'm not super tech savvy.

Comments

• The Recipe
    The Recipe Members Posts: 10,570 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2016
    Options
    https://youtu.be/r_DEjsbC1Xc

And or
    willhustle wrote: »
    I had to get a new hard drive (ps4) last week so I'm still installing games. So I think I'm going to be in-between Resident Evil 5 & WWE/NBA 2k16.
    The Recipe wrote: »
    I had to get a new hard drive (ps4) last week so I'm still installing games. So I think I'm going to be in-between Resident Evil 5 & WWE/NBA 2k16.

I need to get a bigger hd how was the install?

Well since I did the install before it was much easier doing it than the first time around. I went on YouTube again to watch the installation tutorials. Just make sure you back up your saves on a flash drive or upload them to the ps4 online storage before you remove your original hd.

I was looking for a 3TB HD but I settled for 2TB instead. I did some reading on using external on for PS4 and I didn't feel like doing modifications. If you looking for anything over 2TB on PS4 you're going to go with an external HD because anything over the size of 2.5 inches won't fit in the hd slot.

Installing the previous games on the new hd are a headache if you have digital games because you have to go through that background/application data download and those take forever. Disc based games are quick. Funny thing though, I backed up my saved data for WWE 2K16 and still couldn't get my saved progress.

@TheRecipe

Well since I did the install before it was much easier doing it than the first time around. I went on YouTube again to watch the installation tutorials. Just make sure you back up your saves on a flash drive or upload them to the ps4 online storage before you remove your original hd.

I was looking for a 3TB HD but I settled for 2TB instead. I did some reading on using external on for PS4 and I didn't feel like doing modifications. If you looking for anything over 2TB on PS4 you're going to go with an external HD because anything over the size of 2.5 inches won't fit in the hd slot.

Installing the previous games on the new hd are a headache if you have digital games because you have to go through that background/application data download and those take forever. Disc based games are quick. Funny thing though, I backed up my saved data for WWE 2K16 and still couldn't get my saved progress.

@TheRecipe

Thanks bro

No problem. I forgot to mention if you have a ethernet cable it helps download digital games much better instead of going strictly through wi-fi.

• Lou Cypher
    Options
    That databank looks dope. Might look into that depending in the price.
  • Lou Cypher
    Options
    @willhustle what HD did you end up purchasing for your ps4? I need like a brand name and model lol. Knowing me I'll pick something that isn't compatible.
  • willhustle
    willhustle Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 6,550 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Lou_Cypher wrote: »
    @willhustle what HD did you end up purchasing for your ps4? I need like a brand name and model lol. Knowing me I'll pick something that isn't compatible.

@Lou_Cypher

2TB Samsung ST2000LM003 2.5" 2 TB

It works just fine in my PS4. I paid near $110 for it.
  • Lou Cypher
    Options

@Lou_Cypher

Damn more costly than I thought, but still doable. Don't you have to download the ps4 software on to a thumb drive and install it somehow once the new hd is in?
  • willhustle
    willhustle Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 6,550 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

@Lou_Cypher

Damn more costly than I thought, but still doable. Don't you have to download the ps4 software on to a thumb drive and install it somehow once the new hd is in?

Yeah most videos I watched on YouTube and most directions I've read require you download PS4 software to a flash drive.
  • vagrant-718
    vagrant-718 Members Posts: 4,569 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Bought a 2TB hdd when I first bought PS4 and swapped out first day. Them screws tighter than the PS3 tho
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0 Regulator
    Options
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Negro_Caesar
    Negro_Caesar Members Posts: 6,752 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Best buy had external hard drives on sale. I bought a 2 TB external for 75, cracked it open and took out the hard drive and replaced it with the old hard drive and out the old hard drive into the external she'll and use the old hard drive for movies and music. Easy ? to do. Took me 15 minutes
  • Lou Cypher
    Options
    What is SSD and HDD? Cant i just plug some sort of storage device into the USB of the PS4 and download games on to that? I aint no scientist now.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
  • Negro_Caesar
    Negro_Caesar Members Posts: 6,752 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    What is SSD and HDD? Cant i just plug some sort of storage device into the USB of the PS4 and download games on to that? I aint no scientist now.

Ain't no big difference in the speed of the hard drivers for real. Maybe a second of two when games are loading. Any hard drive is better than the original PlayStation hard drive though
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
  • StoneColdMikey
    StoneColdMikey Members, Moderators Posts: 33,543 Regulator
    Options
    Put it in rice
  • Lou Cypher
    Options
    Cain wrote: »
    Go to newegg.com and you can find a HDD drive for the low.

aye bruh let me borrow 86 dollars