Reason Interview: Turfaholic

5th Letter
5th Letter Members, Moderators, Writer Posts: 37,068 Regulator
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TjEWgSbSb3I
5th Letter- Where are you from?

Turfaholic- Iight, I'm from Pittsburg, CA. A small town in the Bay Area. About 30 minutes East east of Oakland. 45 minutes East of San Francisco.

5th Letter- What's life like out there?

Turfaholic- ? changed the 30 years I been on the planet. I used to see drug dealers wearing jerri curls shooting dice in the playgrounds as a kid. During my teens, all my friends were alcoholics and druggies. Now everybody is grown with kids of there own and trying to start up they own business. So you know, it comes with a little good and bad. The gentrification is real though. You can go to Wal-Mart and see a rich Asian, drive two blocks and got ? asking you to give up the shoes on ya feet. ? gets confusing at times.

5th Letter- How did seeing that affect you growing up

Turfaholic- ? caused split personality issues low-key. Like, In the latest 80s, early 90s Pittsburg was hit hard by the ? epidemic. Our D- Boys were driving to Oakland to get that work. Wasn't no real competition in the city because the town was so small. Half the town was grimey and strung out, then you could drive 5 minutes away to uptown. Uptown is where everybody who had that old money from World War 2 and Vietnam lived. ? a peaceful suburb. My mother eventually moved to uptown, while my father stayed in the grimey part. During the week I would be in the suburbs living peacefully with no worries. And during the weekend I would be in the hood with strung out Aunties and Uncles. So even today in my 30s there's always apart of me that wants to get married and do the right thing, work hard. Then there's always a part of me that just wants to do drugs, get ? , and ? random ? with no condom.

5th Letter- Did you get caught up in it?

Turfaholic-I dibbled and dabbled in it. Nothing too serious. My father used to be in the game. But on the wrong end of it. I can laugh at it now, but some of my earliest memories of my dad are going to rehab and counseling with him. Lol. As a kid, the one thing my dad put emphasis on was "Never do ? son". Lol. So that lightweight kept me away from drugs. Selling or using. I started smoking weed in high school. I used to get lifted. This is when California started getting real Frankenstein with the weed. So I pushed a few eighths here and there. Enough for lunch money. Then the hyphy movement kicked in. My gawd the hyphy movement. Started popping ? every weekend. For a good year. ? a bath/ shower with a woman is some goat ? . But once that phase was over I kinda chilled on the drug use.

5th Letter- If you don't mind answering what do you do for a living?

Turfaholic- I do security. Last year I was doing security for hotels on the Las Vegas strip. Now I'm doing security in the projects.

5th Letter- How is that like?

Turfaholic- It's coo. I've met alot allot of celebrities and gotten into alot of events for free working security on the strip. Got into the Pacquiao vs Mayweather fight for free. Billboard awards. EDC. All kinda ? . That Mayweather/ Pacquiao fight brought the ? from all over out though. Working in the projects isn't as fun, but it comes with a little more prestige and opens up the door to better opportunities. But I deal with ? like Mexican dumpster divers talking ? ? in Spanish. I hate that ? . I should've stayed my ass in school

5th Letter- What made you move to Vegas?

Turfaholic- I left the Bay to join the Army. I was too head strong for that ? . Plus I was a cook, so I was mostly in the kitchen and hardly got to know my unit. Didn't really adjust to people I didn't know having so much control over my life. So that ? didn't last long. Got booted out. Figured it was time to enjoy life a little bit. Left Texas and came to Vegas. But I want to thank ? for NY though. Baddest ? I smashed out here was from the LES. Bad Puerto Rican ? . Crazy as ? though. How yall ? back east deal with that ? ?

5th Letter- How is life in Vegas?

Turfaholic- ? fantastic. There's always something to do. Females to smash. Drugs to do. Shows and concerts to attend. Police got me by the ? right now though. This place lacks culture though. I'm not really a gambler. Las Vegas is little California. So many people I went to school with moving out here. Getting ready to move into a luxury apartment next week. I love it here.

5th Letter- What are your early memories of hip hop?

Turfaholic- Rob Base & DJ EZ Rock "It Takes Two".That ? was a maaaaaajor vent as a kid. I used to spend alot of time with one of my older cousins. She was going through a domestic issue. Her and her boyfriends fighting reminded me of the guy and girl screaming on "It Takes Two". So I would just imagine that song to take me away from that ? . I was like 4 at the time. After that, ? dropping. I was 6. My introduction and understanding to the west coast music scene. It also helped spark my interest into 70's R&B.

5th Letter- Who are your favorite and least favorite rappers?

Turfaholic- My favorite rapper is Rydah J. Klyde. He's my hometown hero. He signed to Mac Dre before the hyphy movement really jumped off. One of the original guys signed to Thizz Ent. A guy Mac Dre was really rocking with tough before he got murdered. But I'm sure y'all have no clue who that is, so ima say my favorite commercial rapper is Snoop. His flow on ? is the smoothest flow I've heard in the genre.

5th Letter- What are your favorite albums?

Turfaholic- Good question.... they change with the seasons.
My number 1 will always be 400 Degreez. Mannie Fresh production was crazy. Juvie penned a very versatile album. Remaining 4 in no particular order. ? , Love Below/ Speakerboxxx, Get Rich Or Die Trying, & R&G Rhythm & Gangsta.

5th Letter- Bay Area hip hop is an acquired taste what's your thoughts on people's disparaging remarks about your areas hip hop?

Turfaholic- It is what it is. We been dealing with it for awhile now. Most people give props to Mac Mall, Spice-1, Too $hort, and some times Uncle Earl. When the West was on top in the 90s the Bay area music scene only outlet to the world was only Jive and they didn't have clout like Ruthless and Death Row in L.A. so we didn't really get to shine that much. Pac died and besides Dre & Snoop the West went quiet. The Bay developed it's its own sound, but only Uncle Earl was the only one who was able to bring it to the masses. Mac Dre died, then magazines and MTVs came around. That's was during when all the Mac Dre clones was dropping 1,000 song a day. So people had to filter through the ? . So I understand. But I also have the vision to see our style was heavily bitten. California really started it's comeback with the Nu Boyz. That "You're a ? " song. Them were two L.A. kids making music to Bay Area sounding beats. So it went from being bitter to just recognizing that no matter what, we got a grasp on the culture. DJ Mustard got on using Bay Area sounding beats. Iggy Azealia hopped in the game using a Bay Area sounding beat. That "Fancy" song? Yeah that's a Bay Area beat. Even on the IC. Peezy Jenkins.....Peezy? That's Bay Area lingo. Mdizzle? Izzle? That's Bay Lingo. H to the Izzo, V to the izzay....bay lingo. So we here. Made or impression on The culture quietly. For the record, Drake sampled Too $hort on his new hit "For Free".

Comments

• HerbalVaporCapers
    HerbalVaporCapers Members Posts: 3,202 ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Turfaholic a real one, one of the first folk I ? with here. And that ? about Vegas being little Cali is no joke: I was there late 2014 and like every other person I chopped it up with was either from or lived in the Bay for hella

Dope interview.

Bay Area stand up! 925 stand up!
  • KnowReasonForPeace
    KnowReasonForPeace Members Posts: 2,996 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Good interview.
  • gee757
    gee757 Members Posts: 26,374
    @turf wats funny is I seen gunplay & Debbie n the studio together like last yr lol....5th I see u r on a roll doing legit interviews of real posters(dilla, ? aka axl, blk gawd & turf) who can be identified ? them other donkey interviews of faceless ? talking scary ?
  • Beta
    Beta Members Posts: 65,596 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Melqart
    Melqart Guests, Members Posts: 3,679 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Good lookin out on the shout out bruh. Im definitely hittin you up next time i go to vegas. Great interview btw, prob one of the best so far in terms of detail.
  • aladdin1978
    aladdin1978 Members Posts: 4,609 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Saw the title..This should be good.
    giphy.gif
  • aladdin1978
    aladdin1978 Members Posts: 4,609 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That last paragraph tho.

Nuff respect
  • supergangster
    supergangster Members Posts: 8,872 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2016
    You are just as disheveled as your mother , you should comb your hair .
    You're so ugly , I would not invite you home on Christmas.
    I hate you Turfaholic, you are a bit too large when you talkin
    Stop rapping , you sound like your dad.
    You are so bad at math that you can not give change for a coffee
    You're the worst at washing dishes, I want to learn you with my whip.
    Your mom sucked my ? so hard. She is good at it without having to call support .
    You said Zorrow handicapped but she runs the ? ? . Right down to the ? .
    Swallowing ? she does it so easily. I'm moaning until I come in falsetto .
    She says " it tastes wonderful . Your mom is cheap is pretty obvious .
  • Stew
    Stew Members, Moderators, Writer Posts: 52,234 Regulator
    edited July 2016
    .This should be good.
    giphy.gif

• Peezy_Jenkins
    Peezy_Jenkins Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 33,205 ✭✭✭✭✭
    _Goldie_ wrote: »
    That "junkie music" ? gotta be the dumbest thing I've heard on here all year lol ? been making gettin high music for decades lol

Then this ? Beta quoted Troy Ave like the ? aint garbage lmaooooooo

It be the ? stupid enough to let music make em junkies that complain about junkie music too, like it's so impossible to change the disc or like drugs are only a recent discovery. Then they cape for non rappin clowns who are the so called pushers like that's positive lmao
  • Turfaholic
    Turfaholic Members Posts: 20,429 ✭✭✭✭✭
    _Goldie_ wrote: »
    That "junkie music" ? gotta be the dumbest thing I've heard on here all year lol ? been making gettin high music for decades lol

Then this ? Beta quoted Troy Ave like the ? aint garbage lmaooooooo

It's one thing to make get high music. But it's another when you're talking about getting high on forms of heroin. ? used tap about smoking weed with females and having a good time. Now you got ? rapping about taking drugs and nodding the ? out. Straight junkie ? IMO.
  • Turfaholic
    Turfaholic Members Posts: 20,429 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Turfaholic a crash ? , I give no damn what a ? who listens to krayshawn says about any music let alone mine, top flight security of the world ass ? . U mad cuz u constantly get roasted in here talm bout u should have been stopped being mad, lmao. This ? openly admitted listening to lil Jon is the reason he caught charges and couldn't drive so he decided to listen to Kendrick to boost his iq, u too ? old to b that impressionable u pea brained ? u. ? said he tired of the drug culture and super friends but listens to keak da sneak crackhead ass, defended krayshawn sayin ? (this y he don like me), e-40 angel dust smoking Scooby Dooby Doo sounding ass and Mac Dre thizz face ass, and I bet your ? white, fat and get trained to help on the rent behind your back , AND u let her say ? even after yo cape of tpab

A real ? wouldve thanked me for the promotion......

bqrwj1tq2xmx.gif
  • _Goldie_
    _Goldie_ Members, Moderators, Writer Posts: 30,349 Regulator
    This ? was a hit record in the 90s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lOWKGXpl9E0

3-6 and other ? beennnnnnnnnnnnnnn talkin bout the same drugs for decades, molly and lean is a popular drug in this era. In the 80s it was coke and even in the 90s ? talked about doin coke. This ? aint nothin new, there's still a billion fake ass hustla rappers out here.