So I'm 75% sure I will join the Air Force after this school year

Options

Comments

• smp4life
    smp4life Members Posts: 2,922 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    A bunch of rear echelon mother ? in here.
  • The_Jackal
    The_Jackal Members Posts: 3,628 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2016
    Options
    silverfoxx wrote: »
    The_Jackal wrote: »
    Stiff wrote: »
    Are only the people who wanted to end up in combat in combat? Like is it possible to join the military just for all the va benefits when you get out and then somehow find yourself in the desert somewhere in the world getting shot at?

To emphasize what @JusDre313 said I'd despite what the media tells you the war on terror is still on. My unit actually might be deploying to Afghan next year. Understand regardless of what branch you are you could find yourself deployed down range. It's a risk that you have to decide if it's worth taking for the benefits. In my opinion it is.

Even if your in the AF reserves or National/coast guard Reserves?

Reserves and national guard deploy more the regular army.

But if y'all think you can go for it as far as Ranger and special forces go then try. Alot of people don't know but are mad up of older men being in there 25 to 30 range. They like to have men who have a personal stake ( a family) that can continue to drive them forward. I'm not going to say you can do it but right now I'm hitting 285 to 290 on pt test and been given the offer to attempt it. If you get that offer take it. And that goes for any schooling in the army wither it's airborne, air assault, mountaineer, expert Infantry, etc etc the ? transfers to the civilian side.

smp4life wrote: »

You never serves so who the ? are you to look down on anyone who join?
  • silverfoxx
    silverfoxx Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 11,704 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Are only the people who wanted to end up in combat in combat? Like is it possible to join the military just for all the va benefits when you get out and then somehow find yourself in the desert somewhere in the world getting shot at?

To emphasize what @JusDre313 said I'd despite what the media tells you the war on terror is still on. My unit actually might be deploying to Afghan next year. Understand regardless of what branch you are you could find yourself deployed down range. It's a risk that you have to decide if it's worth taking for the benefits. In my opinion it is.

But if y'all think you can go for it as far as Ranger and special forces go then try. Alot of people don't know but are mad up of older men being in there 25 to 30 range. They like to have men who have a personal stake ( a family) that can continue to drive them forward. I'm not going to say you can do it but right now I'm hitting 285 to 290 on pt test and been given the offer to attempt it. If you get that offer take it. And that goes for any schooling in the army wither it's airborne, air assault, mountaineer, expert Infantry, etc etc the ? transfers to the civilian side.

You don't even service so who the ? are you to look down on anyone who join?

That's my first time hearing this ? . Everyone i known who did reserves never got deployed
  • geechiedanbuford214
    geechiedanbuford214 Members Posts: 456 ✭✭✭
    Options
    mc317 wrote: »
    Joined Maryland ANG at 32. Started to go in 97 at 18 but got a job at the post office and my ? thought $22 an hour back then was ballin so I never finished the DEP process. I will tell you Basic Training was a lil tougher especially the ? running, but the getting up early and yelling at you and ? was cake I had been in the real adult working world for 14 years. In the Reserves and Guard you can pick your specific job as long as your scores meet that afcs requirement but active duty no promises you pick jobs out of a group. My partner that was going in with me back in 97 with me is now getting ready to retire as an E-9 First Shirt, and my ass got at least 14 to go. Drill weekends in Baltimore consists of lobster and steak at chow hall and watching Ravens on flat screens. Free College in Maryland, gi kicker $350 a month plus drill pay so around extra $1000 a month for 2 days work.

At 32 really? What is the age limit fam just curious
  • Like Water
    Like Water Members Posts: 5,265 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

? is you even talkin bout, bruh? Why don't you take yo ? ? on somewhere? You clearly have nothing of value to add to the thread, as evidenced by your previous posts of ignorance and uninformed opinions, so how about you ? and vacate the premises?
  • Like Water
    Like Water Members Posts: 5,265 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

That's my first time hearing this ? . Everyone i known who did reserves never got deployed

Nah. Usually the guard and reserve people are the first ones to get deplyoyed. I mean, it's kinda like the military is getting at least something outta you, considering all of the benefits you receive compared to the relatively small amount of time you actually spend in uniform.

The theory is that you gotta bite the bullet somewhere. Of course there are exceptions to the rule, however.
  • mc317
    mc317 Members Posts: 5,548 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

mc317 wrote: »
    Joined Maryland ANG at 32. Started to go in 97 at 18 but got a job at the post office and my ? thought $22 an hour back then was ballin so I never finished the DEP process. I will tell you Basic Training was a lil tougher especially the ? running, but the getting up early and yelling at you and ? was cake I had been in the real adult working world for 14 years. In the Reserves and Guard you can pick your specific job as long as your scores meet that afcs requirement but active duty no promises you pick jobs out of a group. My partner that was going in with me back in 97 with me is now getting ready to retire as an E-9 First Shirt, and my ass got at least 14 to go. Drill weekends in Baltimore consists of lobster and steak at chow hall and watching Ravens on flat screens. Free College in Maryland, gi kicker $350 a month plus drill pay so around extra $1000 a month for 2 days work.

At 32 really? What is the age limit fam just curious

39-40 i think
  • smp4life
    smp4life Members Posts: 2,922 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

You never serves so who the ? are you to look down on anyone who join?

Just a joke from watching war movies. Chill b.
  • BeleeDatPleighboy
    BeleeDatPleighboy Members Posts: 8,461 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    babelipsss wrote: »
    To get the best jobs you must have an ASVAB score of at least 110. Anything below that score will limit your options and lowers your chances for any decent sign-on bonuses. You can retake the tests as much as you like.

The highest you can make is 99. FOH you dont know WTF you talking bout breh
  • BeleeDatPleighboy
    Options
    Military Police

Yes I figured thatll look great for me because I want to work for a fed agency like homeland , secret service / FBI efc

You can still be a fed w/o doing MP work. All the federal agencies are actively looking for agents with tech backgrounds...
  • BeleeDatPleighboy
    Options
    Did active Navy for 7yrs...currently serving in the reserves..

Best decision ive made in my adult life...got into a great profession (IT)

Most of the advice in this thread is legit breh. Again....just make sure you do your due dilligence and reserch and KNOW what you want. Dont let the recruiter dictate anything breh.
  • StoneColdMikey
    StoneColdMikey Members, Moderators Posts: 33,543 Regulator
    Options
    Military Police

Yes I figured thatll look great for me because I want to work for a fed agency like homeland , secret service / FBI efc

You can still be a fed w/o doing MP work. All the federal agencies are actively looking for agents with tech backgrounds...

@BeleeDatPleighboy that's the thing idek ? about IT . Idk if I would be good at it . I haven't even taken a math class since high school.... That was 3- Years ago
  • BeleeDatPleighboy
    edited August 2016
    Options
    Military Police

@BeleeDatPleighboy that's the thing idek ? about IT . Idk if I would be good at it . I haven't even taken a math class since high school.... That was 3- Years ago

Good thing about military training is its mostly hands on. While there is some "traditional" classroom stuff you might do...majority is all hands on functional training
  • BeleeDatPleighboy
    Options
    And by all means...if IT aint your thing...dont do it breh...nothing worse than being stuck in a job you have no interest in.
  • StoneColdMikey
    Options
    Military Police

Good thing about military training is its mostly hands on. While there is some "traditional" classroom stuff you might do...majority is all hands on functional training

I'm a pretty smart kid. Act was a 25. GPA is decent I think Ima test good I'll seee when I take the test . I broke my toe Thursday so now i have to wait a month and a half to actually talk to a recruiter in person
  • StoneColdMikey
    Options
    It ain't even that. I want to learn about IT/CS just felt that Criminal justice was more for me but I know knowing about all that will do wonders for me
  • grYmes
    grYmes Members Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    And by all means...if IT aint your thing...dont do it breh...nothing worse than being stuck in a job you have no interest in.

Damn right. I came in back in '06 & became a HM (hospital corpsman) only so I can get into boot camp faster. Once I was in A School & got the full grasp of what my job was gonna be I flunked out on purpose. Picked up AO (aviation ordnance) & goin on almost 10 years strong. It could of went way wrong tho, which is why you need to be sure what you want.
  • soul rattler
    soul rattler Members Posts: 18,852 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Bruh do Navy JAG. Get some legal experience and let them pay your way through law school. If you get deployed, you're on a ship.

That's what every Chief PO I had ever met told me is that if you want to travel, Navy is the best choice.

The rating equivalent of SF in the Navy is Master at Arms. They don't get disrespected like other branches might but the way we look at it, you just doing your job. Just don't be a ? . There was one old ass MA on my base who stayed talking crazy when he was on his post but if you ever caught him off duty he was quiet as a mouse with his lil ? ass.
  • The_Jackal
    Options
    Military Police

I'm a pretty smart kid. Act was a 25. GPA is decent I think Ima test good I'll seee when I take the test . I broke my toe Thursday so now i have to wait a month and a half to actually talk to a recruiter in person

Brah recruiters are dying to get people especially if you were to try to go officer route. You can call them up and tell them your situation ? will come to your house. Make sure when talking to them you let them know exactly what you want. If they not getting you what you want/need go to another one.
  • silverfoxx
    silverfoxx Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 11,704 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Like Water wrote: »

Nah. Usually the guard and reserve people are the first ones to get deplyoyed. I mean, it's kinda like the military is getting at least something outta you, considering all of the benefits you receive compared to the relatively small amount of time you actually spend in uniform.

The theory is that you gotta bite the bullet somewhere. Of course there are exceptions to the rule, however.

Man wtf is this real? I thought people do reserve so they won't get deployed. Is this some type of joke or something ? I'm serious with this .
  • The_Jackal
    Options
    Like Water wrote: »

Man wtf is this real? I thought people do reserve so they won't get deployed. Is this some type of joke or something ? I'm serious with this .

LOL. My ? regardless if you active or reserves you are literally at the Beck and call of the army needs. Don't be fooled if the arm needs your unit, you're gone to wherever they send you. Don't give a ? about you being in school, your job, wife's pregnant, etc etc. You sign that contract and they got you.
  • StoneColdMikey
    Options
    @The_Jackal thsts the thing idk what i want or need . Idk what that mean o? Some posts talks about bonuses got me confused
  • atribecalledgabi
    atribecalledgabi Members, Moderators Posts: 14,063 Regulator
    Options
    If you have certs do they count those if you join?

For yall that nosigned...say you're a paramedic or firefighter. They won't honor those specialized skills with a job close to it if you enlist?
  • R0mp
    R0mp Members Posts: 4,250 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Hakeem Oluseyi, one of the few black male astrophysicists, got a lot of help in the Navy; he got accepted into this officer training program called boost(?) for enlisted sailors where he received intensive academic training: basic arithmetic to calculus within a single year--before that his basic math wasn't so good-- which led to helping him get his masters and phd in astrophysics from Stanford.
  • Lurkristocrat
    Lurkristocrat Members Posts: 8,378 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2016
    Options
    If you have certs do they count those if you join?

For yall that nosigned...say you're a paramedic or firefighter. They won't honor those specialized skills with a job close to it if you enlist?

if you meet the asvap qualifications and job is available, sure. it wont help towards any rank tho.

key is availability. Jobs like firefighting (especially in the reserve components) is sought after and slots usually dont come about unless somebody retires out.