Are you a loser for playing video games?

Karl.
Karl. Members Posts: 8,015 ✭✭✭✭✭
Interesting video. Whats your opinion on this?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ikFliwgZpII

Comments

• Broddie
    Broddie Members Posts: 11,750 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The stigma of gamers being losers ended by 2001.
  • Karl.
    Broddie wrote: »

Not completely true.
  • Built 4 cuban linx
    Built 4 cuban linx Members Posts: 12,285 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Guess I'm a loser than *shrugs*
  • Broddie
    Broddie Members Posts: 11,750 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Karl. wrote: »

Not completely true.

Gaming has never been as mainstream as it has been in the 21st century. Just like the internet stigma died cause the net went mainstream so did th gamer stigma. It's been normalized because now everyone plays video games one way or the other.
  • The Recipe
    The Recipe Members Posts: 10,570 ✭✭✭✭✭

I think we lost the stigma with the invent of mobile gaming, now everybody and they grandma is gaming. Them same ? that use to say gaming is immature was sending ? mad candy crush invites and ? a few years ago.
  • The Recipe
    edited August 2016
    Like you said everbody has their vice or hobby gaming is probably the least expensive and harmless one, so I could careless what anyone thinks cuz the same people judging you probably buys every pair of Jordans that come out, buys weed or drinks on a regular basis.
  • genocidecutter
    genocidecutter Members Posts: 17,825 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • R0mp
    R0mp Members Posts: 4,250 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • kzzl
    kzzl Members Posts: 7,548 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The first mistake is even watching this guys vids. I never did like this youtuber. An ol' Egor, self defeating, son'? .

But I forgot how good that Shadow Of Mordor was.
  • vagrant-718
    vagrant-718 Members Posts: 4,569 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Didn't watch the video but I know some ppl out there (women mostly) that still think videogames is for kids.
  • zzombie
    zzombie Members Posts: 11,280 ✭✭✭✭✭
    NO, it is 2016 and video games are just another form of entertainment in that reguard playing video games are no different from watching tv
  • The Recipe
    Didn't watch the video but I know some ppl out there (women mostly) that still think videogames is for kids.

How many games they playing on they phone though?
  • dontdiedontkillanyon
    dontdiedontkillanyon Members Posts: 10,172 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2016
    The Youtuber in that video sounds like a loser, full stop. That's not gaming's fault, that's just him.

You're not a loser if you enjoy videogames, but I feel the mainstream press and media still has a problem with the subject and still likes to push that notion to a point that people still believe it to be true.

Considering the videogame industry makes more money than the film industry it can hardly be considered niche. Everyone from console owners to smartphone users takes part in some form of gaming at some point yet it still feels like it gets treated like an activity only children or male, socially-awkward, teenage geeks locked in their rooms take part in. Considering twenty and thirty-somethings are the larger demographic when it comes to console games it just seems like the press just refuses to shake off what is a very outdated view of the subject. Add that some people still think videogames are corrupting children and I just think it's an issue with the press and how they still portray the subject.
  • dontdiedontkillanyon
    dontdiedontkillanyon Members Posts: 10,172 ✭✭✭✭✭
    zzombie wrote: »
    NO, it is 2016 and video games are just another form of entertainment in that reguard playing video games are no different from watching tv

The same people who are quick to ? on gamers as losers will probably be the same ones who are happy to binge watch boxsets or Netflix without seeing society and sunlight for two days.
  • Turfaholic
    Turfaholic Members Posts: 20,429 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nah not a loser... .

But video games fell off.

Miss the days when I could run 24 hour marathons.
  • Ghostdenithegawd
    Ghostdenithegawd Members Posts: 16,231 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Turfaholic wrote: »
    Nah not a loser... .

But video games fell off.

Miss the days when I could run 24 hour marathons.

? is impossible to do late in life tho

Only form of entertainment that ? me off is black reality TV
  • [Trillmatic]
    [Trillmatic] Members Posts: 3,531 ✭✭✭✭✭
    How did games fall off?
  • Karl.
    Are you a loser if you post on a message board about if your a loser for playing video games?

I asked if "you" were a loser. I'm happy that I'm not. Just wanted your thoughts on it.
  • willhustle
    willhustle Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 6,550 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2016
    I been playing video games since I was 6-7 years old. I'm 34 now and still enjoy playing them from time to time. The lack of quality releases nowadays doesn't hold my interest to where I can play them non-stop when I was a kid and as you get older your priorities change. To sit up and call someone a loser because they choose to indulge in a hobby they've enjoyed since childhood doesn't make them a loser.

If I enjoy playing video games, watching wrestling, & checking for comics from time to time (all nerd ? ) then I guess I'm a ? "loser".

9/10 this premise is built off or come from some women that deems video games as "immature ? " and won't deal with a man that has xbox or playstation in his vocabulary but these are the same broads that know everything about all the BBHW reality shows and the hoes that contribute nothing of value or worth to society but be loud mouth ghetto hoes.

FOHWTBS