Saltine homeowner held without bond after young black man killed in shooting...

stringer bell
stringer bell Members Posts: 26,212 ✭✭✭✭✭
http://wncn.com/2016/08/08/nc-homeowner-set-to-appear-in-court-after-young-man-killed-in-deadly-shooting/
Raleigh homeowner held without bond after young man killed in shooting

RALEIGH, N.C. (WNCN) – A Raleigh homeowner, who police say shot and killed a man outside his home, is being held without bond after his first court appearance Monday afternoon.

Chad Cameron Copley, 39, was charged with murder after police said he shot 20-year-old Kouren-Rodney Bernard Thomas with a shotgun on Singleleaf Lane early Sunday morning.

After completing their initial investigation the incident, Raleigh Police Department detectives obtained an arrest warrant charging Copley with murder. He has been transported to the Wake County Detention Center.

Police said the incident happened around 1 a.m. Sunday morning when Copley fired a shot from inside his garage. The bullet hit the victim who was standing outside in the street.

Police said after Thomas was hit, he was taken to WakeMed where he was pronounced dead.

On Monday, family members of Thomas said they were devastated by his death.

His mother says she can barely function without her joyful son in her life.

“They take my baby…this is the worst,” said Simone Butler-Thomas, Kouren Thomas’ mom. “He’s loving and he loves everything and everybody.”

“He was getting ready to move into his new apartment. We was shopping, we was happy. And now…we planning a funeral,” the mother added.

Simone Butler-Thomas is being comforted by her two sons, while she grieves the loss of her youngest child.

“He was just a good friendly guy that everybody, everybody loved to be around him,” said brother Kellen Crosby.

Thomas’ two brothers say he was a good kid and that he didn’t deserve this.

“I lost somebody that I can’t even put in words how much they’ve taken from us,” said brother Kristian Williams.

The Thomas family is trying to raise money for Kouren’s funeral.

CBS North Carolina obtained 911 calls that appear to have been made by the suspect.

He called police shortly before the shooting happened and tells dispatchers that a large group of people were outside racing in the street and he was going outside to secure the neighborhood.

He then called back and said the same group of people were outside with guns.

He said he fired a warning shot and someone got hit.

“We got a bunch of hoodlums out here racing…I am locked and loaded and I am going outside to secure my neighborhood. You need to send PD as quickly as possible. I am going to secure my neighborhood. I am on the neighborhood watch. I am going to have my neighbors with me,” the caller said at 12:50 a.m.

Copley’s next court appearance is August 29.

x6hhkd7sze25.jpeg

Comments