Former Cheerleader Jaelyn Young Gets 12-Year Jail Term For Trying To Join ISIS

Options
1CK1S
1CK1S Members Posts: 27,471 ✭✭✭✭✭
jaelyn-young-isis-cheerleader-usa.jpg?w=400

A federal judge in Mississippi sentenced former cheerleader Jaelyn Young to 12 years in prison for trying to join Islamic State (Isis) on Thursday (11 August). The 20-year-old from Vicksburg apologised to the judge following her sentencing, saying she was ashamed of her actions and for causing pain to her family.

Young, along with her fiancé Muhammad Dakhlalla, had planned to go to Syria by disguising their travel plansas a honeymoon trip, the court was told. She also informed the court she had converted to Islam in 2015 amid an emotional crisis she faced during her days at Mississippi State University.

In addition to the prison sentence, US District Judge Sharion Aycock sentenced Young to 15 years of probation. The judge also ordered her to undergo mental health treatment and to allow probation officers to search through her electronic devices for any terrorism-related materials or documents. Dakhlalla, who had earlier pleaded guilty to the same charge, will be sentenced on 24 August.

Young, the daughter of a policeman and Navy veteran mother, broke down in the court on hearing her punishment and said: "I wasn't myself. I said and did things that were so contrary to me. Much of this remains surreal to me.

"When things really began to snap back into place, then I began to feel shame," she was quoted by the Associated Press (AP) as telling the court

She said: "The guilt of my father being in the military and then me being in this position, it's like a slap in the face. There's just so much humiliation. And I didn't think of that."

While testifying for the case, Young's father Leonce Young requested the judge to show some leniency on his daughter as part of what she did was his fault.

"I wasn't there for Jaelyn's graduation. I wasn't there for her senior day. I wasn't there the day she went to Mississippi State. What she did was wrong, but part of it was my fault, I'm willing to do whatever it takes to keep my country safe. But my daughter was lost," Young said.

Both Young and her fiancé were reportedly planning to join IS (Daesh) as medics.

Comments

• StoneColdMikey
    StoneColdMikey Members, Moderators Posts: 33,543 Regulator
    Options
  • StoneColdMikey
    StoneColdMikey Members, Moderators Posts: 33,543 Regulator
    Options
    She'll get out at 32 maybe sooner
  • Olorun22
    Olorun22 Members Posts: 5,696 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
  • Ajackson17
    Ajackson17 Members Posts: 22,501 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Islam is an enslaver just like your Judeo-Christian religion. All slave ? unless you are the slaver.
  • babelipsss
    babelipsss Members Posts: 2,517 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    They brainwashed her. 12 years in a Mississippi prison. Sad.
  • warren98
    warren98 Members Posts: 472 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Sheesh silly girl. I doubt her and hubby would have lasted the distance.
    A media report says that ISIS numbers had dwindled down to 15K.

http://www.news.com.au/world/middle-east/45000-islamic-state-fighters-taken-off-battlefields/news-story/4ae3268e7c800a58575244d0f94a9e3a
    En-Fuego22 wrote: »
    ? Islam

Too generalized dude.

I think you may mean "? the people that have used Islam and has brought pain and suffering to society in recent times"
  • So ILL
    So ILL Members Posts: 16,507 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Knew she was black, ? don't get no chances and they always have to make an example out of us, even with the sponsored team lol.
  • zzombie
    zzombie Members Posts: 11,280 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    only 12 years???? realistically she won't even do half that ?
  • The Lonious Monk
    The Lonious Monk Members Posts: 26,258 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    So ILL wrote: »
    Knew she was black, ? don't get no chances and they always have to make an example out of us, even with the sponsored team lol.

Nah bruh, anybody would have gotten hammer laid on this for them. ISIS is pretty much the nation's biggest enemy now. I don't know how treason charges work, but I have to believe she was pretty close to that, and that carries a possible death penalty.
  • warren98
    warren98 Members Posts: 472 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    warren98 wrote: »

http://www.news.com.au/world/middle-east/45000-islamic-state-fighters-taken-off-battlefields/news-story/4ae3268e7c800a58575244d0f94a9e3a
    ? Islam

Too generalized dude.

I think you may mean "? the people that have used Islam and has brought pain and suffering to society in recent times"

Nah I mean ? Islam.

There's alot of strength to your statement. Each to their own I guess.
  • LPast
    LPast Members Posts: 4,546 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    She was framed...
  • CashmoneyDux
    CashmoneyDux Members Posts: 11,217 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

? Islam

Too generalized dude.

Nah I mean ? Islam.

There's alot of strength to your statement. Each to their own I guess.

Don't mind him. You know the uneducated are the most dead set in their views
  • Trillfate
    Trillfate Members Posts: 24,008 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    She kinda reminds me of Meagan Vaughn... google her
  • So ILL
    Options

Nah bruh, anybody would have gotten hammer laid on this for them. ISIS is pretty much the nation's biggest enemy now. I don't know how treason charges work, but I have to believe she was pretty close to that, and that carries a possible death penalty.
    Please, the nation's biggest enemy has always been whoever is in the way of them making some money. That, and they gotta keep those prisons full somehow, especially with Obama erasing drug sentences. They weren't worried about her like that, they were just trying to look like they were doing the right thing lol.
  • The Lonious Monk
    Options

Please, the nation's biggest enemy has always been whoever is in the way of them making some money. That, and they gotta keep those prisons full somehow, especially with Obama erasing drug sentences. They weren't worried about her like that, they were just trying to look like they were doing the right thing lol.

What you're saying may be true for the rich elite, but that ? doesn't apply to most of America, especially those overly patriotic people. They are the same people that want to see whistle blowers damn near hanged even though those whistle blowers are revealing dirt that everyone should be glad to know about.
  • So ILL
    Options

What you're saying may be true for the rich elite, but that ? doesn't apply to most of America, especially those overly patriotic people. They are the same people that want to see whistle blowers damn near hanged even though those whistle blowers are revealing dirt that everyone should be glad to know about.
    Don't you hate that ? ? Lol.
  • The Lonious Monk
    Options

Don't you hate that ? ? Lol.

Hell yeah. I can't stand those fools. Wanting to call French Fries "Freedom Fries" just because the French decided they didn't want to fight in a pointless ass war anymore. What kinda dumb ? is that?
  • Olorun22
    Olorun22 Members Posts: 5,696 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    LordZuko wrote: »
    ? be runnin to Islam like that's the answer. I remember I was thinkin that ? in college, reading Malcolm X and ? only to find out Arabs and Islam are just as if not bigger pieces of ? that Euro Christians

But but I can't say ? Islam. . I know the ? history of Islam and African
  • playboy buddy rose
    playboy buddy rose Members Posts: 2,844 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    the brawd didn't commit a crime ... she "tried" to join isis.... if you gon give her 12 years(which she will serve 4 to 6 tops) then honkys who tried to join the kkk should get the same sentence
  • Lurkristocrat
    Lurkristocrat Members Posts: 8,378 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    the brawd didn't commit a crime ... she "tried" to join isis.... if you gon give her 12 years(which she will serve 4 to 6 tops) then honkys who tried to join the kkk should get the same sentence

bruh, ? all that.