Options
DOPEdweebz
DOPEdweebz Members, Moderators, Writer Posts: 29,364 Regulator
edited August 2016 in From the Cheap Seats
tujyldnvmnsp.jpeg

Better Olympian: Usain Bolt vs Michael Phelps 57 votes

Usain Bolt
71%
lion_heartsupergangstergnsdwade206killapdontdiedontkillanyonblakfyahkinginternationalusmarin3d.greenineedpussyyung$Mr.LVWill MunnyFlyFreeCtLPastS.jR.Already Home_17texasdaking88NothingButTheTruth 41 votes
Michael Phelps
28%
the ghostintlhakdallas' 4 evaspit_fiyaunspoken_respectPanchoYoSanchoShizlanskyKairoBetachgarcia345saracenwiremanofmorehouseO.G.prime_time_willyTsotsi Cape Townmrtdb 16 votes

Comments

• O.G.
    O.G. Members Posts: 7,555 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Michael Phelps
    USA!!!
    USA!!!
    USA!!!

Phelps: 23 gold (13 individual), 3 silver, 2 bronze and setting 15 world records at the Olympics alone.

Bolt: 8 maybe 9 (4x100 tbd)gold (6 individual) and 3 world records set at Olympics.
    Phelps set world records in seven different events at the 2008 Beijing Games.
  • gns
    gns Members Posts: 21,285 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Usain Bolt
    Dude would win a gold in 200m freestyle then another in 200m butterfly....no hate but thats the same ? race, granted ones technique makes a difference in the results but the distance is the same.

Track is obviously not like that and u cant win a medal running the same race doing different techniques.
    Phelps is a beast tho. But if ? ever decide to really ? with swimming all them records gon be gone.

Im more impressed with usain, everyone at least one time or another have tried their hand at running. He really is the fastest dude on earth.
    Who really ? with swimming on a competitive level like that except cacs?!
  • dalyricalbandit
    dalyricalbandit Members, Moderators Posts: 67,918 Regulator
    Options
    I can't swim for ? so I'll most likely say Michael.

But what these two are doin is amazing straight shittin on everyone in their fields
  • Mr_Vicodin81G
    Mr_Vicodin81G Members Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Hard 2 choose. They both dope
  • mrtdb
    mrtdb Members Posts: 2,080 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Michael Phelps
    Phelps broke a 2000+ year record...Bolt is a beast in his own right. We're witnessing greatness.
  • dontdiedontkillanyon
    dontdiedontkillanyon Members Posts: 10,172 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2016
    Options
    Usain Bolt
    Look at how many different races and medal opportunities there are in swimming compared to running. Usain Bolt is a freak, he set the world alight and changed the game. He's forced experts and coaches to reevaluate what it is that makes a great runner. You can't play down Phelps's achievements but Bolt is on a different level of athleticism.
  • O.G.
    Options
    Michael Phelps
    Bolt runs no more than 600m for his three gold medals per Olympics. No more than two races a day for Bolt. While Phelps is in the water all day for a week. Phelps will break a world record in one race then have to be ready to go again in less than an hour. Bolt is more dominant but Phelps is the better Olympian. Phelps is actually racing against people who have a chance to beat him but he finds a way to win. That is greatness.
  • usmarin3
    usmarin3 Members Posts: 38,013 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Usain Bolt
    O.G. wrote: »
    Bolt runs no more than 600m for his three gold medals per Olympics. No more than two races a day for Bolt. While Phelps is in the water all day for a week. Phelps will break a world record in one race then have to be ready to go again in less than an hour. Bolt is more dominant but Phelps is the better Olympian. Phelps is actually racing against people who have a chance to beat him but he finds a way to win. That is greatness.

The wear and tear of running is way more stressful than swimming. There is a reason why doctors require pool for rehab. It's less stressful on your body.

Why do you think you see 38 year old 5 time Olympian swimmers in the Olympics. lol
  • usmarin3
    edited August 2016
    Options
    Usain Bolt
    Not to mention running is a basic sport everyone does in the world. The best athletes in the world run at some level (track, soccer, baseball, football, basketball,etc). Swimming is more of a privilege type sport where a lot of blacks, Latinos, poor people etc don't have access to swimming pools. The talent pool is swimming is real thin and white washed.
  • O.G.
    Options
    Michael Phelps
    usmarin3 wrote: »

The wear and tear of running is way more stressful than swimming. There is a reason why doctors require pool for rehab. It's less stressful on your body.

Why do you think you see 38 year old 5 time Olympian swimmers in the Olympics. lol

Doctors ain't telling people to go out and swim at competition pace. Swimming takes a lot of stamina .

So we gonna act like some of those distance runners ain't in their mid 30's and couple are even 40?
  • Beta
    Beta Members Posts: 65,596 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2016
    Options
    Michael Phelps
    Ol' I'm black or jamaican too so there you go" ass ?
  • O.G.
    Options
    Michael Phelps
    Beta wrote: »
    Ol' I'm black or jamaican too so there you go" ass ?

I'm black. Can't swim and was very very good in track and even I can say Phelps was the better Olympian.
  • O.G.
    Options
    Michael Phelps
    Phelps won multi gold over 4 different Olympics. Bolt won multi gold over 3 different Olympics. 4>>>3
    ? . Phelps placed fifth in the 2000 Olympics as a 15 year old. Goat.
  • O.G.
    Options
    Michael Phelps

Bet you that 100 and 200 record stand for at least 25 years. Phelps ain't as dominant as Bolt. He just has more events to participate in. That's like track and field saying we are now adding a 125m, 150m, 250m, and 300m race.

Phelps just more opportunity to win and that's all. No doubt Bolt could run another Olympics and win if he wanted. Especially in the 200m.

The question isn't who is the most dominant it's who's the better Olympian. Phelps is swimming four different techniques while being the best in the world. Not just doing the same race at two different distances like Bolt is. Now if Bolt was Running the 100,200, hurdles and long jumping then we could put in perspective the kinda ? Phelps is doing. Bolt is the fastest ? in the world at two distances but Phelps has been the best in the world at two distances but at four different swimming styles, and he has done it for 16 years. If Bolt comes back for a fourth Olympics and wins multi golds then i will change my vote. Until then its Phelps>Bolt.
    Btw if it wasn't for the Boycott in 1980 Carl Lewis would have more gold than Bolt. As it stands they both have 9 gold medals. I only say that to show that Bolt has company in his sport when it comes to greatness. Nobody is coming close to 23 that Phelps has. The question isn't who is the most dominant it's who's the better Olympian.
  • Mr.LV
    Mr.LV Members Posts: 14,089 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Usain Bolt
    This video puts in perspective how dominant and fast Usain Bolt is.
    https://youtu.be/_L_vq5JYQlE

• usmarin3
    edited August 2016
    Options
    Usain Bolt

Bet you that 100 and 200 record stand for at least 25 years. Phelps ain't as dominant as Bolt. He just has more events to participate in. That's like track and field saying we are now adding a 125m, 150m, 250m, and 300m race.

Phelps just more opportunity to win and that's all. No doubt Bolt could run another Olympics and win if he wanted. Especially in the 200m.

The question isn't who is the most dominant it's who's the better Olympian. Phelps is swimming four different techniques while being the best in the world. Not just doing the same race at two different distances like Bolt is. Now if Bolt was Running the 100,200, hurdles and long jumping then we could put in perspective the kinda ? Phelps is doing. Bolt is the fastest ? in the world at two distances but Phelps has been the best in the world at two distances but at four different swimming styles, and he has done it for 16 years. If Bolt comes back for a fourth Olympics and wins multi golds then i will change my vote. Until then its Phelps>Bolt.
    Btw if it wasn't for the Boycott in 1980 Carl Lewis would have more gold than Bolt. As it stands they both have 9 gold medals. I only say that to show that Bolt has company in his sport when it comes to greatness. Nobody is coming close to 23 that Phelps has. The question isn't who is the most dominant it's who's the better Olympian.

The only way you can truly measure it is by measuring them by their dominance over their peers. To me this argument is the Bill Russell vs MJ argument. Sure Phelps got the most gold, but the eye test says Bolt is the best. Phelps isn't as dominant as Bolt. At no point did anyone ever touched Bolt in the 100 and 200. Even when he was coming off injury he was still beating Gatlin, Gaye, Blake,etc. Ryan Locthe got 13 ? medals for ? sakes and he was right there with Phelps in 2012.

Running 100m, 200m, 800m,1500m long jump,etc are way more difficult feats than swimming different strokes. The physical wear and tear it takes to compete is sprint, middle distance, jumping, and long distance is 3 different type of training. You think for one second any of the Kenyans could run a sub 11 seconds 100m. lmfao That's fast twitch muscle vs slow twitch muscle.

I don't want to hear that IF ? . If Ben Johnson had a country protecting him from the steroids scandal like Carl Lewis and Flow Joe then he would be looked at in the same light as Lewis.

• Hevalisk
    Hevalisk Members Posts: 1,595 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2016
    Options
    Not voting because I don't know much about swimming, but I'm going to say

Saying Phelps is the better Olympian because he was more medals is ridiculous, the nature of the sport of swimming allows him to do that.

In Track & Field there have been athletes in the past, and some current capable of running medal winning times in the 100m, the 200m, and the 400m, but no one ever does this, and there is a good reason why. They would be too wore out, and they would be asking for a very early retirement.
  • Inglewood_B
    Inglewood_B Members Posts: 12,246 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Usain Bolt

you just made a better case for Bolt
  • Inglewood_B
    Inglewood_B Members Posts: 12,246 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2016
    Options
    Usain Bolt
    Figo wrote: »
    giphy.gif

These are the fastest men on the planet and Bolt is winning by 3-4 lengths