Better Olympian: Usain Bolt vs Michael Phelps

Options

Comments

• Beta
    Beta Members Posts: 65,596 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Michael Phelps
    Is it who's more dominant or who's the better Olympian?
  • usmarin3
    usmarin3 Members Posts: 38,013 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Usain Bolt
    Beta wrote: »

Better Olympian is a subjective term. What is the measurement based on?

Dominant can be measured. It can be measured based on winning percentage, world records,etc.
  • Shizlansky
    Shizlansky Members Posts: 35,095 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Michael Phelps
    If bolt ran the 400 he would be.

But he don't.
  • Beta
    Beta Members Posts: 65,596 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Michael Phelps
    usmarin3 wrote: »
    Beta wrote: »

Better Olympian is a subjective term. What is the measurement based on?

Dominant can be measured. It can be measured based on winning percentage, world records,etc.

I ain't make the thread
  • O.G.
    O.G. Members Posts: 7,555 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Michael Phelps
    O.G. wrote: »
    Bolt runs no more than 600m for his three gold medals per Olympics. No more than two races a day for Bolt. While Phelps is in the water all day for a week. Phelps will break a world record in one race then have to be ready to go again in less than an hour. Bolt is more dominant but Phelps is the better Olympian. Phelps is actually racing against people who have a chance to beat him but he finds a way to win. That is greatness.

you just made a better case for Bolt

Yes for being more dominant but the thread is about being the better olympian.
  • O.G.
    Options
    Michael Phelps
    ? voted on race

and my silly ass fell for the trap. Can't win this one. lol
  • Olorun22
    Olorun22 Members Posts: 5,696 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Usain Bolt
    Bolt runs no more than 600m for his three gold medals per Olympics. No more than two races a day for Bolt. While Phelps is in the water all day for a week. Phelps will break a world record in one race then have to be ready to go again in less than an hour. Bolt is more dominant but Phelps is the better Olympian. Phelps is actually racing against people who have a chance to beat him but he finds a way to win. That is greatness.

You don't even make sense. Dominanting your field is part of being a better olympian. Why are you trying to separate the two is beyond me.

Usmarin3 is right he has made the most sense. Running is harder on your body than swimming.
    Has bolt received gold in every event hes been in
  • O.G.
    Options
    Michael Phelps
    En-Fuego22 wrote: »

You don't even make sense. Dominanting your field is part of being a better olympian. Why are you trying to separate the two is beyond me.

Usmarin3 is right he has made the most sense. Running is harder on your body than swimming.

Mike Tyson was more dominant than Ali. Is Tyson the better boxer? Bolt runs no more than 2 races per day in the olympics. Yall acting like that is a killer schedule. If you played any kind of sport you have ran more than that at any practice. Hell Michael Johnson was running the 200 & 400 in the same day. That's a way harder schedule than Bolt.

Is Bolt the Goat sprinter? Hell Yes
    Is Bolt the Goat Olympian? Hell No

I'm through with this yall can have it. I ain't changing my opinion and obviously yall ain't changing yours.

Peace
  • Breezy_Kilroy
    Breezy_Kilroy Members Posts: 10,500 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Usain is 9/9 he's never lost and it wasn't ever close.

They said mfers not supposed to be that fast til 2030 and we still might not see that ? .

Phelps might have more medals but its because there are more events for him to compete in. That doesn't take anything away from him its just the truth.

There aren't any ? events like running backwards or running suicides so Phelps will always have the one up on volume. But as far as dominance goes I gotta go with Usain.

Besides comparing a sprinter to a swimmer will never work they aren't even remotely the same.
  • Hevalisk
    Hevalisk Members Posts: 1,595 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Shizlansky wrote: »
    If bolt ran the 400 he would be.

But he don't.

Even if he did, he wouldn't be able to do all three sprints at the Olympics.
  • Hevalisk
    Options

Mike Tyson was more dominant than Ali. Is Tyson the better boxer? Bolt runs no more than 2 races per day in the olympics. Yall acting like that is a killer schedule. If you played any kind of sport you have ran more than that at any practice. Hell Michael Johnson was running the 200 & 400 in the same day. That's a way harder schedule than Bolt.

Is Bolt the Goat sprinter? Hell Yes
    Is Bolt the Goat Olympian? Hell No

I'm through with this yall can have it. I ain't changing my opinion and obviously yall ain't changing yours.

Peace

If you did run Track, I'm assuming you don't know much about the sport.

Like I said earlier, there is a reason no one does the triple outside of talented HS competitors.
  • dwade206
    dwade206 Members Posts: 11,558 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Usain Bolt
    Any other way would be coonlike
  • Shizlansky
    Options
    Michael Phelps
    If a ? can play football for 4 years in college and than another 10 in the nfl.

You can run the 100, 200 and 400

• Hevalisk
    Options
    If a ? can play football for 4 years in college and than another 10 in the nfl.

You can run the 100, 200 and 400

Are you talking about running all three in one Olympics or doing something like

the 200 and 400m one Olympic

Then the 100m and 200m at the next Olympics.
  • Peace_79
    Peace_79 Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 8,964 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Usain Bolt
    There is really no wrong answer, here...

But ? are seriously downplaying the difficulty of competitive swimming.

• Olorun22
    Olorun22 Members Posts: 5,696 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Usain Bolt
    Peace_79 wrote: »

Yeah by having a debate on who is the greatest Olympian..smh
  • Peace_79
    Peace_79 Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 8,964 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Usain Bolt

Yeah by having a debate on who is the greatest Olympian..smh

No ... by downplaying the difficult of competitive swimming

Like I said...
  • Hevalisk
    Options

People are also downplaying the difficulty in completing the 100m, 200m, and 400m in a single championship.

The person who made the football comparison hasn't responded to my question, so I'm not sure which they were referring to.

But, Track isn't Football, a person in Football isn't going to be as negatively affected as a sprinter would be if they were suddenly .15-.20 seconds slower in a full extended sprint. In sprint events that's the difference between being a champ, and not even making it into the finals.

Can someone run the 100, 200, and 400 at a single championship? Yes.

Are they going to win gold in each one? Hell no, not unless the competition that year is extra weak, and there aren't many occasions where you will have weak fields in all three sprint events.

• Shizlansky
    Options
    Michael Phelps
    If you swim the 200 and run the 200. Your body would be more fatigued from swimming than running.

On top he participated in more events which makes you even more tired.
  • Hevalisk
    edited August 2016
    Options
    If you swim the 200 and run the 200. Your body would be more fatigued from swimming than running.

Apples and Oranges, swimming will take more out of you, but it's not going to have the same wear and tear that running does. I'm not saying swimming is easier, I'm saying it doesn't impact you the same way running does, so if someone wanted to push themselves to the limit in swimming, they can do that without worry about pulling something, or giving themselves a stress fracture.

In running if someone doesn't take a couple days rest from that kind of hard running, the effects will start to show in their times, and I'll say again, Track isn't football, Football isn't measuring who can run the fastest in a straight line, so those time differences are relatively unnoticeable in FB

Like people have said before, there is a reason you never see any sprinters doing the 100, 200, 400 in a single meet, especially a big one with rounds.

Not to mention, track has less "short" distance events than swimming, If you added the 150m dash, and the 4x200 to the Olympics that would quickly increase his medal count.

Many high profile Track & Field coaches and former athletes will tell you Bolt should have ran the 400 during a couple of his active years, but they will never tell you he should do the 100, 200, and 400 all at one meet. (well a few would, there are always those few)
  • The Lonious Monk
    The Lonious Monk Members Posts: 26,258 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

The first point isn't really a good point. Swimmers don't compete against runners. They compete against other swimmers, so how swimming compares to running is irrelevant. If we're judging by what event is more grueling then they both lose because there are far more grueling events in the Olympics than what either one of them compete in.

The second point is valid though.

I will point out this. Bolt has never lost a race in the Olympics. And I don't just mean he's always gotten the gold. I mean, he's never come in anything but first in any Olympic race be it preliminaries, semifinals or finals. So yeah, Phelps does more events, but he's also lost or been challenged in those events. Bolt has never lost in the Olympics and if we're being honest, he's never even been challenged. The best athletes perform even better when they have someone challenging them. Phelps has had that and benefitted from it. Bolt never has, so it's probably the case that we've never even seen Bolt at his potential best.
  • Will Munny
    Will Munny Members Posts: 30,199 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Usain Bolt
    Bolt by a narrow margin. Everyone can run, not everyone can swim. The pyramid of humanity that must be conquered to be the fastest sprinter is much bigger than that of the fastest swimmer.
  • Revolver Ocelot
    Revolver Ocelot Members Posts: 3,393 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Usain Bolt
    I'm going with Bolt but Bolt has lost races.

In 2004 Olympics he lost in semifinals for the 100m.
  • The Lonious Monk
    The Lonious Monk Members Posts: 26,258 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I'm going with Bolt but Bolt has lost races.

In 2004 Olympics he lost in semifinals for the 100m.

Yeah you're right. I should have prefaced that by saying since 2008 when he was in his prime. Phelps has lost during his prime. Bolt has not.