Racist Maine Gov. LePage: 90 percent of drug dealers coming into Maine are Black or Hispanic…

stringer bell
stringer bell Members Posts: 26,212 ✭✭✭✭✭
http://wgme.com/news/local/gov-lepage-talks-crime-and-race-in-north-berwick-town-hall
Gov. LePage talks crime and race in North Berwick town hall

NORTH BERWICK (WGME) -- Governor Paul LePage talked crime and race at Wednesday night's town hall, claiming 90 percent of drug dealers coming into Maine are Black or Hispanic.

The comment came after one man in the audience accused the governor of creating a "toxic" environment for racists in the state.

The governor took a lot of questions from residents at Wednesday night's town hall, but maybe the one that struck a chord the most with the governor was one from a resident who questioned his political correctness on recent racial comments.

"The fact of the matter is sir I am not a racist and I don't promote it," LePage said.

The man who was questioning the governor says he's an entrepreneur, but feels the LePage doesn't stand up to racists.

The man was referencing comments made earlier this year by LePage, where he said black drug dealers, named D-Money and Shifty, were coming to Maine from out of state.

"Ever since I made that comment I've been collecting every single drug dealer that has been arrested in our state,” LePage said. “Sir you are welcome to come look at it."

LePage says through the photos he’s collected, a large portion reflects his comments.

"90 percent of the photos in my book, and it's a three ring binder, are Black and Hispanic people from Waterbury, Connecticut the Bronx and Brooklyn," LePage said.

The ACLU released a statement to CBS 13 Wednesday night about the governor's comments.

"White people are statistically more likely to sell drugs than black people, yet according to the governor police in Maine are nine times more likely to arrest black people for doing so. We look forward to working with the governor to end any unconstitutional racial profiling that may be occurring"

"You can say white, black, purple, green, white or orange,” LePage said. “The fact of the matter is people from Connecticut and New York are coming to Maine and are killing our citizens."

The governor says he hopes to continue to have an open dialogue with his constituents. He has another town hall scheduled for next Wednesday as well.

Comments

• 2stepz_ahead
    2stepz_ahead Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 32,324 ✭✭✭✭✭
    he might be right 90% thats coming in...i can see that.
    but what about the 90% of white dealers thats already there.
  • babelipsss
    babelipsss Members Posts: 2,517 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Didn't you already make this thread a couple of months ago?
  • Beta
    Beta Members Posts: 65,596 ✭✭✭✭✭
    He gave a statistical fact though..
  • Brother_Five
    Brother_Five Members Posts: 4,448 ✭✭✭✭✭
    he might be right 90% thats coming in...i can see that.
    but what about the 90% of white dealers thats already there.

Lol
    So he makes a ? comment then has his police gather data that supports his position... And u think that's believable?
    Man listen....lmao
  • dalyricalbandit
    dalyricalbandit Members, Moderators Posts: 67,918 Regulator
    Didn't something like this come out a few months ago or last year?
  • numbaz...80's baby
    numbaz...80's baby Members Posts: 5,104 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2016
    That's going to happen if most of the ppl pulled over are black.

That's what these folks aren't understanding. If a cop is driving behind two cars, 1 full of ? and 1 full of crackas, they're going to pull the ? over. One of them may have some type of drug but the crackas riding past with a car full of ? . No ? given

That's what they dont understand and/or in denial about.
  • A Talented One
    A Talented One Members Posts: 4,202 ✭✭✭
    I'm not saying it's true, but what he said may be true. Most drug dealers arrested in Maine may be black or Hispanic and from out of town. The matter requires investigation.

Also, I don't believe that white people are statistically more likely to sell drugs than black people. Use drugs, yes, but not sell drugs.
  • HafBayked
    HafBayked Members Posts: 16,248 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Maine got drugs?....? barely got seasoning but they got that smack tho eh?
  • Brother_Five
    edited October 2016
    not sure if there is another thread about his, but the actual binder was full of white ppl...
  • b'mer...
    b'mer... Members Posts: 1,119 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Mitch McConnell's OIL TANKER carrying ? was seized a couple years back. I wonder what happened to that.
  • 2stepz_ahead

That's what these folks aren't understanding. If a cop is driving behind two cars, 1 full of ? and 1 full of crackas, they're going to pull the ? over. One of them may have some type of drug but the crackas riding past with a car full of ? . No ? given

this is my point.
    black and Hispanic stand out.
    I am sure that the whites selling drugs are already there an dug in.
  • 5onblackhandside
    5onblackhandside Members Posts: 2,585 ✭✭✭✭✭
    inflated statistics, another form of scare tactics, aint no ? tryin to live in Maine
  • leftcoastkev
    leftcoastkev Members Posts: 6,232 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Let's say he's right....

So basically they target blacks for arrest then complain it's mainly blacks that are the problem. Typical.

Would they be happier if all the happier if all of the drug dealers were white? Probably so because they could more easily ignore the problem.

But the drum beat of "the ? are invading and acting a fool" is good for increased police funding.

They understand it. It's denial. They'd rather point the finger at you than to look at their own.
  • 2stepz_ahead
    Let's say he's right....

So basically they target blacks for arrest then complain it's mainly blacks that are the problem. Typical.

Would they be happier if all the happier if all of the drug dealers were white? Probably so because they could more easily ignore the problem.

But the drum beat of "the ? are invading and acting a fool" is good for increased police funding.

They understand it. It's denial. They'd rather point the finger at you than to look at their own.

exactly...
    all dealers go where the work is.

but if you want to create an image of what it is..you gonna focus on just that.

these are white people that are now suffering from heroin now.
    Maine is mostly white...you see a black or brown person with outta state plates..."random" checks..can make these stats true.

random white ppl with out state plates don't have the same aura of guilt around them. ppl think they just going to see family or tourists.

they still skipping over whites dealers who are there or who's not pulled over that could have drugs.
  • Brother_Five
    So y'all gonna continue with the hypothetical?
  • Breezy_Kilroy
    Breezy_Kilroy Members Posts: 10,500 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yeah that would make sense if you're only targeting black and Hispanics.

The white couple in the mini van doesn't get stopped and searched even though they are using.

aaoverdose1-large_trans++SfYPnLVx2OdKTzdusYJa4rnwzpBppBWXeVwLzJ0KfuM.jpg
  • Copper
    Copper Members Posts: 49,532 ✭✭✭✭✭

Also, I don't believe that white people are statistically more likely to sell drugs than black people. .

giphy.gif