DJ Battle "The City's".......Harlem Vs The Bay Area (Yay Area dub)

Options

Comments

• Turfaholic
    Turfaholic Members Posts: 20,429 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2016
    Options
    The Bay
    Dubbz was all over the place. Alot of Big L & Rocky. It was over for me when "Breathe, Stretch, Shake" came on. That was produced by Rick Rock, a Bay Area producer. Transitions weren't crisp. Alot of jumping between time periods. Alot of tracks with non Harlem artist.

If you're not up on Bay Area music you won't see that @HerbalVaporCapers mix told a story. It was a timeline of Bay Area music. From Mob Music to Hyphy. I can tell he played it safe too.

But to be fair, I can see why it was stated Harlem is only a neighborhood. The Bay mixtape had San Francisco, Oakland, Hayward, Vallejo, & Pittsburg.

I think alot of people voted based on familiarity
  • eastbay510
    eastbay510 Members Posts: 2,063 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Harlem
    At first he suggested just an Oakland mix but we all thought everyone else wasn't familiar enough with Bay music to desperate the Bay by cities so we just included it as a whole
  • Turfaholic
    Options
    The Bay
    LUClEN wrote: »
    Not gonna lie... once victory started I voted Harlem

You voted based on adlibs?

Diddy adlibs only thing Harlem about that song
  • BedStuy
    BedStuy Members Posts: 3,001 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2016
    Options
    Harlem
    Beta wrote: »
    eastbay510 wrote: »
    Name names then

5 grand, John B, lucien, cybertron

I'm sleep though

@Beta

incorrect stupid ?

Like Diddy said, "don't make an ass out of ya self assuming" because "You Don't Know Me.... ohhh noo"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XKHbl6DPFdU&index=30&list=LLi4jMkMRvGlMVxZfrNcAb_Q
  • Beta
    Beta Members Posts: 65,596 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    The Bay
    My Harlem listening experience...

1. The first voice I should hear should not be biggie lol plus i thought maybe you only had diddy's small verse but nah you had biggie's too

2. I'm like "okay that was a rough start for me, what else he got?" ? follows up with a Jay-Z verse on welcome to nyc...I'm like this ? man...plus i didn't like the song choice

3. I was amazed when even after the discussion we had and this ? asking me like he was gonna tweak some ? that dubbz kept the whistle song

4. Wasn't enough dipset representation and the mix in the last half lost its swagger imo

5. Atleast he had charles hamilton still

But despite all of that he did a great job mixing and had I not been looking forward to this mix and wasn't under the assumption that he changed ? I woulda probably voted Harlem. It just wasn't hard enough imo

• its....JOHN B
    its....JOHN B Members Posts: 19,830 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Harlem
    I skimmed through them I'll admit I was looking for who was more skillful in actual mixing, you don't have to count my vote I just don't have time to listen to all these mixes, I'm starting to think you should shorten them to a half hour
  • its....JOHN B
    its....JOHN B Members Posts: 19,830 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2016
    Options
    Harlem
    And around the 30 minute mark on the Bay mix got me thinking I might of made the wrong choice, ? banging
  • Beta
    Options
    The Bay
    Somebody make a mix for me!!! Please! I'm deadass!
  • HerbalVaporCapers
    HerbalVaporCapers Members Posts: 3,202 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Turfaholic wrote: »
    Dubbz was all over the place. Alot of Big L & Rocky. It was over for me when "Breathe, Stretch, Shake" came on. That was produced by Rick Rock, a Bay Area producer. Transitions weren't crisp. Alot of jumping between time periods. Alot of tracks with non Harlem artist.

If you're not up on Bay Area music you won't see that @HerbalVaporCapers mix told a story. It was a timeline of Bay Area music. From Mob Music to Hyphy. I can tell he played it safe too.

But to be fair, I can see why it was stated Harlem is only a neighborhood. The Bay mixtape had San Francisco, Oakland, Hayward, Vallejo, & Pittsburg.

Pretty much no 40, Husalah or Federation on this mix. Wanted to make something the whole IC could rock with, but yeah I left a lot of ? off even from SF to keep the mix flowing.

I may just have to ? around and make a mix just for us bay cats after this.

And I know you were geekin when that Barney came on
  • 5th Letter
    5th Letter Members, Moderators, Writer Posts: 37,068 Regulator
    edited August 2016
    Options
    The Bay
    I vote for the Bay. And I hate a lot of Bay Area music but that mix was much better put together than the Harlem mix. Harlem mix is dope though.
  • _Goldie_
    _Goldie_ Members, Moderators, Writer Posts: 30,349 Regulator
    Options
    The Bay
    I think I'm done with mixes for awhile

Whooped this ? 's ass so bad he went into retirement lol
  • ChillaDaKilla
    ChillaDaKilla Members, Banned Users Posts: 7,082 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    The Bay
    _Goldie_ wrote: »

? didn't I whip you the last time we went head up

• _Goldie_
    Options
    The Bay
    _Goldie_ wrote: »

? didn't I whip you the last time we went head up

tumblr_n2o29vO03B1rtpm86o1_400.gif
  • TonyDubbz
    TonyDubbz Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 19,261 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    My Harlem listening experience...

1. The first voice I should hear should not be biggie lol plus i thought maybe you only had diddy's small verse but nah you had biggie's too

2. I'm like "okay that was a rough start for me, what else he got?" ? follows up with a Jay-Z verse on welcome to nyc...I'm like this ? man...plus i didn't like the song choice

3. I was amazed when even after the discussion we had and this ? asking me like he was gonna tweak some ? that dubbz kept the whistle song

4. Wasn't enough dipset representation and the mix in the last half lost its swagger imo

5. Atleast he had charles hamilton still

But despite all of that he did a great job mixing and had I not been looking forward to this mix and wasn't under the assumption that he changed ? I woulda probably voted Harlem. It just wasn't hard enough imo

I told yall I won't doing that ? again, I thought about it but then the cyol started up so I knew I wouldn't be redoing it

Plus I was under the impression that features could be involved, ? the songs used belonged to artist from Harlem anyways
  • Turfaholic
    Options
    The Bay

Pretty much no 40, Husalah or Federation on this mix. Wanted to make something the whole IC could rock with, but yeah I left a lot of ? off even from SF to keep the mix flowing.

Yeah you got a version of Barney I've never heard before. I've never heard it with that intro. I was surprised you didn't throw "Don't Give Me No Bammer" on the mix.
  • HerbalVaporCapers
    Options

Yeah you got a version of Barney I've never heard before. I've never heard it with that intro. I was surprised you didn't throw "Don't Give Me No Bammer" on the mix.

I kept it off for a couple of reasons, mainly because it slowed down the mix and I wanted a song to show the transition to synthesizers being used. Blue Bird got put on for those very reasons
  • BrideofKilla
    BrideofKilla Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 4,566 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2016
    Options
    The Bay
    That edited version of the dipset anthem made me want to punch a wall...Both mixes were well put together... Harlem had more recognizable songs which increases playability... But the bay mix made me want to research more of their music....I thought all they had was E40 and was prepared to hate it accordingly but I couldn't.... I'm giving it to the bay for representing their area best...

Great job to both of you!!
  • _Goldie_
    Options
    The Bay
    The Bay came back? lmaoooooooooooo Dubbz bout to go into retirement with Chilla
  • _Goldie_
    edited August 2016
    Options
    The Bay
    This is a tough to pick. Cuz the Bay area's music is an acquired taste. I only ? with a handful of songs from that area, but I appreciate how it was put together and how it went from era to era.

Then you got the Harlem mix smh. I ? with Harlem music heavyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy, so it hurt to hear that bs that Dubbz cooked and it's ? up cuz homie's a dope DJ, I just don't think homie knows that much about Harlem music or he just took the safe radio single route.

SN: I'm mad I gave ? the blueprint to use mainly side b's/unreleased ? , cuz I know yall gonna start doing that now , but it's coo it's coo lol.

But as far as this match up I gotta go with The Bay.
  • Beta
    Options
    The Bay
    Goldie it hurt my soul too man...

Dubbz wanna collab on a Harlem mix pt 2?
  • Beta
    Options
    The Bay
    Lmao @ the bay coming back
  • HerbalVaporCapers
    Options
    Wait, hol up

I actually won?

1408.gif

Shout out to @TonyDubbz first and foremost. I think if you went with another city/borough I wouldn't have had a chance. Also shout out to @achewon87 for the feedback you gave me during the years battle: I worked alot on transitioning records and actually re-recorded this whole mix maybe 4 times before finally uploading it.

Shoutout to @Beta @5th Letter @_Goldie_ & @BrideofKilla for not letting your bias (hate in your own words hahahaha) for the Bay sound get in the way of your making your choice. Definitely shout out to @Turfaholic (sorry for tagging you twice today fam, I'm not on some stalker ? !) for holding a cat down and advocating for folks to just give my ? listen.

Shout out to @5 Grand too. When a cat was down 8-3 I was ready to plot on your ? ass but now it won't be necessary. Looking forward to the next round!

oq7lnpxqnuh7.gif

l4r07atvynw3.gif

86sle92e0pw1.gif

fb5ewm767wcm.gif

BAY ? MANE!

• Beta
    Options
    The Bay
    I'll give you the songs! You don't even have to mix it well!
  • LUClEN
    LUClEN Members Posts: 20,559 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Harlem
    eastbay510 wrote: »
    LUClEN wrote: »
    Not gonna lie... once victory started I voted Harlem

After 1 song in an hour long mix?

After like 30 Years. When the hell has the Bay ever been better than Harlem?

Exhibit a was all I needed to see, your Honor
  • 5th Letter
    5th Letter Members, Moderators, Writer Posts: 37,068 Regulator
    Options
    The Bay
    I'll give you the songs! You don't even have to mix it well!

I'll do it ? it.