Reason Interview: MeekMonizzLLLLLLe14 aka Monizzle14

Options
5th Letter
5th Letter Members, Moderators, Writer Posts: 37,068 Regulator
5th Letter- Where are you from?

Monizzle14- Born and Raised just outside of Hartford Connecticut

5th Letter- What's it like out there?

Monizzle14- The Hartford area is like the border line between New England and New York. You have influence and population that has ties to New York and the mid Atlantic and others that have family up in Massachusetts and Maine and Vermont that bring that part of the country down the CT. People think Hartford and all of CT is a bunch of rich people and that is a lie. There are small parts of towns tons of money but most of my Central Connecticut Area is either middle class (how i grew up), urban poverty, and or low class redneck/rural. It can be allot of feast or famine.

5th Letter- How did it influence your upbringing?

Monizzle14- Growing up i went to church in Hartford in the hood and grew up in an emerging suburb. So I had friends that were mostly white from my town i got to know but then on weekends i hung with black family and friends. So i was able to experience 2 different cultures at the same time. Also Boston and New York tend to segregate from each other. Living in CT i have been able to chill in both cities and understand their cultures and use their lingo/slang. I also like the Yankees and the Patriots. There are also a considerable amount of Giants and Red Sox fans which is unique about CT.

5th Letter- What made you get into hockey?

Monizzle14- I was obsessed with the NBA till i was 4. I also lived 15 minutes from the NBA HOF in Springfield Massachusetts. In 94 when i was 4 we moved to the suburbs and kids at daycare were playing street hockey. I started playing and was really good at it. Money was tight back then so i couldn't start playing on ice till I was 7. Every gift for birthday's and christmas was hockey gear from my parents and family. They made it work and sacrificed allot for it. It's not a cheap sport.

Most kids start skating at age 4 i didn't start skating till 7 so i trailed behind till about 8th grade. That's when i caught eyes was on the top travel teams. In high school i played on a team that made the final 4 my sophomore year and was #1 ranked in the state for a period during my Senior year. Given the tons of talent i was more of a role player my last 2 years. But we won allot.

5th Letter- Did your black friends tease you about it?

Monizzle14- Black friends not really. A few jokes here and there but they thought it was dope i played the sport. In middle school kids used to give the typical Oreo jokes cause i played hockey but that faded in high school. But those jokes were from white kids in my school. Little did they know half of them would be listening to wayne mixtapes years later trying to be "black" so bad haha.

5th Letter- How long did you play organized Hockey?

Monizzle14- From 98 to 2012 stopped playing after i graduated from college (played college club hockey). Since 2012 i started running and have ran 1 full marathon and about 4 half marathons.

5th Letter- What were your early memories of hip hop?

Monizzle14- I grew up in a household with both sides of the fam were Southern Baptist so hip hop was not something played but 2 moments stood out:

1. In 93 or 94 my dad played the single "Jump" by Kriss Kross and i knew the whole hook by 4. That was clean enough to be played in the household with other clean pop/r&b.
2. My uncle who was 13 years younger than my dad who somehow was able to buy rap albums. He was huge on the west coast i would discover the chronic and ? in his room in the mid 90's when he was in high school. Being the youngest my uncle was able to buy hip hop music as my grandparents chilled out by the time he was born. My dad would have never been able to buy hip hop in his high school days. But that's how parents get with time.

cool side note: My uncle loved all hip hop but growing in in Massachusetts as a black teen he hated the celtics due to the all white team. He loved the west coast rap since he was a Lakers fan. Hence the Chronic and ? being some of his favorites. Many black up in CT and Mass cheered for the Lakers due to them having many black players. My uncle would also play hip hop in his crib through the late 90s which is why i loved chilling with him. My parents didn't let me get hip hop albums.

5th Letter- Did you guys feel like the New England area was racist?

Monizzle14- Definitely. My dad was born in Portsmouth Virginia about 20 miles from where Gee 757 grew up. The south was still getting out of segregation and they moved to the Boston area when my dad was 7. He experienced more ignorance face to face up in the Boston Area than he did in VA for his first 7 years. The biggest difference is how racism was shown.

Up north it was more subtle at times and hidden by media and school systems. But it up in New England Blacks could advance after hard work and make more money. Down south it was straightforward via segregation and lynchings/killings. That is why both sides of my family moved north form the JIm Crow South. There was more growth and money for all races up north despite the ignorance and racism. And up here despite the racism there were still tons of whites who were cool with black people in my family. Also many Macklemore type whites who had white guilt and wanted to treat minorities well. Remember Massachusetts just had a Black Governor a few years ago (my Grandfather helped his campaign).

5th Letter- Back to the hip hop talk. Who are your favorite and least favorite rappers?

Monizzle14- Favorite Rappers: The Roots, J Cole, Jay Z, Kanye, and Oddisee. Least Favorite Rappers: Kevin Gates, Ace Hood, Gudda Gudda.

5th Letter- What are your favorite albums?

Monizzle14- The Low End Theory - A Tribe Called Quest, College Dropout - Kanye, How I Got Over - The Roots

5th Letter- What are your favorite songs from those albums?

Monizzle14- Low End Theory - Buggin Out, College Dropout - Never Let Me Down. How I Got Over - Dear ? 2.0

5th Letter- What are your thoughts on today's hip hop?

Monizzle14- I really have less hate for modern hip hop in 2016 than i did 2 or 3 years ago. I think now being 25 i have learned to be ok with the turnt and mumble rap for parties and working out but still being able to grab a cole or odisee album to listen to for some real ? . Hip hop is self medicating itself at this point in the 2000's. You are starting to see gimmicks like Young Thug not sell well and flop only to be replaced by the Lil Yachtys who most likely will not sell well in a few years like Young Thug now. At the same time J Cole who raps about real life issues went platinum and sold out nearly every major city. I went to the Hartford Cole show last year and saw 30,000 people at our biggest venue in the city and my faith in real messages reaching kids 4 to 10 years younger than me was happening in hip hop.

I do think that rappers overall need to really stop flooding the market and choose quality of quantity. But again hip hop is self medicating itself those rappers like Yung Thug who flood the market flop while those who improve their craft (Big Sean Dark Sky Paradise) get elevated to another tier due to them actually slowing down and making a better product.

Comments

• KnowReasonForPeace
    KnowReasonForPeace Members Posts: 2,996 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Dope interview once again.
  • StoneColdMikey
    StoneColdMikey Members, Moderators Posts: 33,543 Regulator
    Options
    This a good interview.
  • 5 Grand
    5 Grand Members Posts: 12,869 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    5th Letter wrote: »

5th Letter- What are some things you'd like to change about the IC?

Monizzle14- All my issues have to deal with the topics on the board, Certainly more restrictions on how many topics you can create/a certain amount of posts before you can make a topic (not sure if that exists), I also think people like 5 grand should be banned from half the topics they made. Some of the better rapper or best album from ny poll ideas at times gets out of hand. I wish people would spread out the content over a longer period of time instead of creating all 6 topics within a 48 hour period.

5th Letter- There is a thread limit for new posters. Why do you think 5 grand should be banned?

Monizzle14- Most of the threads he makes can be solved in a few comments are are just so out in left field that everyone is confused. 5grandpa has a wealth of hip hop knowledge and history i respect that. But as far as thread making dude just doesn't have it.

4xybfxlmzhec.jpg
  • Beta
    Beta Members Posts: 65,596 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Stew wrote: »

5th Letter- What made you get into hockey?

Monizzle14- I was obsessed with the NBA till i was 4. I also lived 15 minutes from the NBA HOF in Springfield Massachusetts. In 94 when i was 4 we moved to the suburbs and kids at daycare were playing street hockey. I started playing and was really good at it. Money was tight back then so i couldn't start playing on ice till I was 7. Every gift for birthday's and christmas was hockey gear from my parents and family. They made it work and sacrificed allot for it. It's not a cheap sport.

5wkth2ntx10s.jpg

Lmao yeah this ? got me too
  • anduin
    anduin Members Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Subway, nuff said.
  • T. Sanford
    T. Sanford Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 25,291 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    In before...................
  • a_list
    a_list Members Posts: 4,886 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2016
    Options
    Good interview.....Ct in here....
  • CashmoneyDux
    CashmoneyDux Members Posts: 11,217 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Oh ? I remember them Vegas lights ? lmaoooooooo
  • Peezy_Jenkins
    Peezy_Jenkins Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 33,205 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Put some respeck on them #vegaslights tho, let us shine
  • CashmoneyDux
    CashmoneyDux Members Posts: 11,217 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

What happened to @signh da trapper?
  • Turfaholic
    Turfaholic Members Posts: 20,429 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

9q8ezpsemdfj.jpg
  • Peezy_Jenkins
    Options

What happened to @signh da trapper?

That's the bro, he just don't b on here as much
  • Cutler 26 INT's LOL!
    Cutler 26 INT's LOL! Members Posts: 7,708 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    #VegasLights we still shinnin'

• blackgod813
    blackgod813 Members Posts: 9,577 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Vegas lights one more time for the fans!!!
  • Peezy_Jenkins
    Options
    vegasdykes was the most cringe worthy moment i've seen on the IC, it was like watching a bunch of autistic grown men playing star wars with brooms while making mongoloid sound effects that are been filmed for some sadistic reason.
    Good interview tho.

? get ? , something u have never seen in person because u look like Jared from subway b4 he lost weight, so I'm gonna file this in the backhanded compliment department, thanks fam
  • Lab Baby
    Lab Baby Members Posts: 8,154 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2016
    Options
    GOAT interview simply cuz I got a shout out.

5th Letter- What made you get into that field.

Monizzle14- I was a communications major with a business minor. The Newspaper/Media Industry was taking more L's than tyga coming out of college.

Quintuple entendre. You have officially broken literature.
  • supergangster
    supergangster Members Posts: 8,872 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Wow... So Monzille actually is black. I thought KillaCham was the one who was black.? so KillaCham is a racist..

Great Interview
  • Revolver Ocelot
    Revolver Ocelot Members Posts: 3,393 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Nice Interview