After Being Stared Down by a Couple in ? Barrel, This Dad Received a Note About Parenting

Options
13»

Comments

• semi-auto-mato
    semi-auto-mato Members Posts: 2,833 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    not really sure why this is even a story. I am tired of folks acting like black dudes don't take care of their kids. Man its ur kid and u supposed to take care of them. the kid was 3 months? its nothing in ? barrel for him. go to shoprite get some gerber and call it day.
  • ThaNubianGod
    ThaNubianGod Members Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Kwan Dai wrote: »
    http://www.popsugar.com/moms/Dad-Receives-Note-From-Strangers-After-Breakfast-Son-42305417

When Kevon Smith Sr. sat down for breakfast at ? Barrel with his son Kevon Jr. in Willoughby, OH, he had no idea he was going to make headlines just for being a good dad.

Kevon noticed a couple staring and smiling at him and his 3-month-old son, and although he was confused, he just went on with the meal. "I noticed this older couple over in the corner," he said. "They kept smiling at me and I was looking at my son like, 'What is going on?'"

But when Kevon left the restaurant, it all made sense, as he saw a note on his car from the couple praising his parenting along with cash to cover his breakfast.

"Today your meal is on my wife and me," it read. "Enjoy that baby as long as ? intends. Keep doing what you're doing. The Masons."

These strangers were so amazed by Kevon and his relationship with his son, and he was just as moved by their generosity. "There's a lot of guys I know that aren't taking care of their kids," Kevon Sr. said, adding that he'll absolutely share the story with his son when he gets older to teach him that a little kindness can go a long way.

"I'm definitely going to make sure I'm paying it forward," he said. "I get blessed. I want to bless someone else."

Cool story. He could have kept that other ? to himself though.

Disagree. Parenting is something we have total control of, and could have a huge impact on our current and future generation directly. I have zero sympathy for any man who is embarrassed by this story, in fact, guys who don't parent their kids aren't men in my eyes to begin with. That goes for mothers too who play ? games keeping men from seeing their kids.

So, you agree that it is ok to be ? a ? by mentioning other fathers who aren't taking care of their kids while being given accolades for taking care of yours?

A simple thank you , and a show of appreciation would have sufficed. Mentioning other men who the public doesn't know is, fuccc ? behavior. More importantly the ? could be lying. He out here trying to grab more points like the ? he is doing is above average because, he knows alot of guys who aren't taking care of their children. I'm not rocking with that.

Lastly this ? flexing like he doing something. His sun is 3 months old. Holler at us if your azz is still around and seeing him off to college.

If you care about your people, then yeh. You act like there isn't a big problem going on with parenting in our community. The only people who will get upset over this are those who aren't taking care of their own ? , and are ashamed of that fact.

This was one of the major points of the Million Man March years ago. We as MEN, must act like MEN. Not boys, not grown children, or feminine helpless ? ? . This is something white people have zero control over us. Something that can have an immediate impact on our present & future generations.
  • deadeye
    deadeye Members Posts: 22,884 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    http://www.popsugar.com/moms/Dad-Receives-Note-From-Strangers-After-Breakfast-Son-42305417

he saw a note on his car from the couple praising his parenting along with cash to cover his breakfast.

Feel good story, but this part makes me think it's fake.

How would the couple know which car is his?
  • deadeye
    edited August 2016
    Options
    xxCivicxx wrote: »
    Patronizing act

Yeah, kinda like saying: "you speak so well."
  • 2stepz_ahead
    2stepz_ahead Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 32,324 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    SneakDZA wrote: »
    its crazy what you ? attach to and promote or clown

yall saying this man shouldnt be thanked because thats his job.....but

http://community.allhiphop.com/discussion/544675/father-surprises-his-17-year-old-daughter-after-spending-9-years-in-prison/p1

^^^^^
    yall ? was all in feelings in that thread tho.

remember....just be happy of the girl or the moment.

we celebrate a man coming out of jail and thats a happy moment but a man with his child in ? barrel is overlooked..

make that make sense

all these fatherless or misguided people but we should overlook someone spending time with his child
    i guess only i see a bigger picture and how full of ? some people are

The reason why the guy in this thread is being condescendingly commended for being a father and in turn condescendingly derides other black men is due to the false narrative that black men don't raise their children. The irony of you bringing that other video up as a comparison is that the reason that stereotype exists is due to these devils systematically locking up young black males for ridiculous amounts of time over trumped up drug charges or just straight-up ? .

an thats why in the other thread i asked....what did he go to jail for before it being a happy moment..

sooo...the reason the other thread was brought up was not to show fathers are not present but how quick we dont ask questions with a potential negative spin but want to at the same time wanting to focus on only the negative when something should be positive.

for this man to make his statement may be valid because of his surroundings...but was the question asked....nope. it was just assumed he was a fukk ? for saying it.....when we dont look at someone coming out of PRISON..in the same light because hes being reunited.

trumped up charges, protecting his family or selling drugs or being a local fukk ? ....the background does matter.

why does him saying that bother people so much...

honestly, most of the actions on this site are people having ? contests as well as in the streets...an that statement bother people.
  • 2stepz_ahead
    2stepz_ahead Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 32,324 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    as for the kid being 3months...

have any of you ? really been around a 3month old.....by yourself.

carseats, carriers, diaper changes in public bathrooms, formula, crying, germs, throwup is the shortlist...

ask some of these moms how that ? is...an homie sitting there chilling catching a bite to eat...just him an the kid.

think of the potential quality time could have had on alot of these wild ? running around
  • CapitalB
    CapitalB Members Posts: 24,556 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    when my daughter was 3months good luck catchin her out in the open air jus chillin..

ESPECIALLY at a ? restaurant..

yeh..
    he's a horrible father..
    onviously cares nothin about his childs health..

and a ? barrel of all places, around all them nasty ass white folks. smmfh
  • The Lonious Monk
    The Lonious Monk Members Posts: 26,258 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2016
    Options

carseats, carriers, diaper changes in public bathrooms, formula, crying, germs, throwup is the shortlist...

ask some of these moms how that ? is...an homie sitting there chilling catching a bite to eat...just him an the kid.

think of the potential quality time could have had on alot of these wild ? running around

My ? , do you not realize that your very post is perpetuating the ? that led to this incident. Why the ? do we have to ask moms how that ? is. Many of us are fathers. We've taken our children out by ourselves on numerous occasions. ? is wrong with you?
    when my daughter was 3months good luck catchin her out in the open air jus chillin..

yeh..
    he's a horrible father..

I don't really understand what you're trying to say. How is him being at a restaurant with his 3 month old being a bad father? Unless he was letting a bunch of random strangers at the restaurant come up and hold and touch the baby, him being out there was not a big deal.
  • Ol Jay's
    Ol Jay's Members Posts: 8,286 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2016
    Options
    a lot of assumption going on in this thread

How does anyone know the race of the couple

Or why they were even impressed by his parenting, maybe the couple was impressed because he kept the baby quiet

Ain't nothing like a hollering ass baby or some rowdy kids at a restaurant, some people dread seeing a baby or kids coming through the door at a restaurant

My question about this story is how did the couple know which car belonged to him and who told the media about this
  • Trollio
    Trollio Members Posts: 25,815 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
  • CapitalB
    Options

My ? , do you not realize that your very post is perpetuating the ? that led to this incident. Why the ? do we have to ask moms how that ? is. Many of us are fathers. We've taken our children out by ourselves on numerous occasions. ? is wrong with you?

yeh..
    he's a horrible father..

I don't really understand what you're trying to say. How is him being at a restaurant with his 3 month old being a bad father? Unless he was letting a bunch of random strangers at the restaurant come up and hold and touch the baby, him being out there was not a big deal.

sarcasm doesnt translate well via text..
    but thats exactly what it was..

i didnt have my daughter out at 3mnths tho.
    OH. HELL NAH!!!
  • Like Water
    Like Water Members Posts: 5,265 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    DWO wrote: »
    condescending

they think they're superior to us, so they congratulate us for doing basic things they do daily....like it took extreme effort and dedication and accomplishing obstacles to take my kid to get something to eat.........

? we was ? hungry....? them and their privilege

Nah man, it ain't even just white people. Black people do the same ? . I can't tell you how many times I've been walking with my daughter and had some old black woman come up to me saying ? like "Ahh that's nice that you spend time with your daughter. Keep it up."

Like people really buy into this fairy tale that black men don't give a ? about their kids. The crazy thing is there are two parks in my area that I take my kids too and at both of them, the majority of the time you'll see the fathers running around with the kids. The mothers that are there are usually sitting on the benches running their mouths. But let the world tell it black men aren't engaged at all.

This...! This! This! This!
  • Kwan Dai
    Kwan Dai Members Posts: 6,929 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    SneakDZA wrote: »

http://community.allhiphop.com/discussion/544675/father-surprises-his-17-year-old-daughter-after-spending-9-years-in-prison/p1

^^^^^

we celebrate a man coming out of jail and thats a happy moment but a man with his child in ? barrel is overlooked..

make that make sense

all these fatherless or misguided people but we should overlook someone spending time with his child

The reason why the guy in this thread is being condescendingly commended for being a father and in turn condescendingly derides other black men is due to the false narrative that black men don't raise their children. The irony of you bringing that other video up as a comparison is that the reason that stereotype exists is due to these devils systematically locking up young black males for ridiculous amounts of time over trumped up drug charges or just straight-up ? .

You sir are spot on...
  • deadeye
    Options
    we should overlook someone spending time with his child

Related video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B0B_ekSrsEk
  • Like Water
    Like Water Members Posts: 5,265 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

yeh..
    he's a horrible father..

OH. HELL NAH!!!

I got the sarcasm, but we didn't have our son out at restaurants at 3 months either. We barely took lil dude out, period, at that time. Somewhere between 6 and 9 months, if I'm not mistaken, is when we started getting him outta the house.
  • CapitalB
    Options
    Like Water wrote: »

yeh..
    he's a horrible father..

OH. HELL NAH!!!

I got the sarcasm, but we didn't have our son out at restaurants at 3 months either. We barely took lil dude out, period, at that time. Somewhere between 6 and 9 months, if I'm not mistaken, is when we started getting him outta the house.

EXACTLY!
  • Kwan Dai
    Options

When Kevon Smith Sr. sat down for breakfast at ? Barrel with his son Kevon Jr. in Willoughby, OH, he had no idea he was going to make headlines just for being a good dad.

Kevon noticed a couple staring and smiling at him and his 3-month-old son, and although he was confused, he just went on with the meal. "I noticed this older couple over in the corner," he said. "They kept smiling at me and I was looking at my son like, 'What is going on?'"

But when Kevon left the restaurant, it all made sense, as he saw a note on his car from the couple praising his parenting along with cash to cover his breakfast.

"Today your meal is on my wife and me," it read. "Enjoy that baby as long as ? intends. Keep doing what you're doing. The Masons."

These strangers were so amazed by Kevon and his relationship with his son, and he was just as moved by their generosity. "There's a lot of guys I know that aren't taking care of their kids," Kevon Sr. said, adding that he'll absolutely share the story with his son when he gets older to teach him that a little kindness can go a long way.

"I'm definitely going to make sure I'm paying it forward," he said. "I get blessed. I want to bless someone else."

Cool story. He could have kept that other ? to himself though.

Disagree. Parenting is something we have total control of, and could have a huge impact on our current and future generation directly. I have zero sympathy for any man who is embarrassed by this story, in fact, guys who don't parent their kids aren't men in my eyes to begin with. That goes for mothers too who play ? games keeping men from seeing their kids.

So, you agree that it is ok to be ? a ? by mentioning other fathers who aren't taking care of their kids while being given accolades for taking care of yours?

A simple thank you , and a show of appreciation would have sufficed. Mentioning other men who the public doesn't know is, fuccc ? behavior. More importantly the ? could be lying. He out here trying to grab more points like the ? he is doing is above average because, he knows alot of guys who aren't taking care of their children. I'm not rocking with that.

Lastly this ? flexing like he doing something. His sun is 3 months old. Holler at us if your azz is still around and seeing him off to college.

If you care about your people, then yeh. You act like there isn't a big problem going on with parenting in our community. The only people who will get upset over this are those who aren't taking care of their own ? , and are ashamed of that fact.

This was one of the major points of the Million Man March years ago. We as MEN, must act like MEN. Not boys, not grown children, or feminine helpless ? ? . This is something white people have zero control over us. Something that can have an immediate impact on our present & future generations.

I said it before and I will say it again. I don't know who or what you dudes were grown up around. But I don't know NOT one Black man in my family or personal life that isn't taking care of their children. Do, I know men that have gone through hardship? Sure. Do I know men that take care of their children not as well as other men? Sure. But not there at all, on some ? it, ? my kids I live life for myself. Sorry. I just don't know those people.

A week ago, my Sun and I pull into our drive way. We get out of the car, to my left we wave and give the what's up to the neighbor walking in to his home with his sun and daughter. Across the street we wave and give the what's up to our other neighbor walking in to his home with his two boys. I said very candidly to me Sun. You say that right? Don't let these Devils lie to you and tell you Black men aren't holding their families down.

You ? need to stop echoing the words of America's White Supremacists.

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/06/08/opinion/charles-blow-black-dads-are-doing-the-best-of-all.html?_r=0

http://www.dailykos.com/story/2015/5/13/1383179/-The-absent-black-father-myth-debunked-by-CDC
  • The Lonious Monk
    Options

yeh..
    he's a horrible father..

OH. HELL NAH!!!

Yeah, I didn't catch the sarcasm. Some people do treat it like it's a sin to take your child out in public before a certain period of time. It really isn't. It's all a matter of where you are, whose around, and how many people are around.
  • CapitalB
    Options

yeh..
    he's a horrible father..

OH. HELL NAH!!!

Yeah, I didn't catch the sarcasm. Some people do treat it like it's a sin to take your child out in public before a certain period of time. It really isn't. It's all a matter of where you are, whose around, and how many people are around.

u cant help who's around in a restaraunt tho..
    coughin sneezin.. all types of ? ..

people walkin up to u talkin to u the baby..

nah.. jus nah..
    i aint a germaphobe by any means.. but up until my daughter was damn near one she wasnt around no ? like that..

but thats jus me..
  • Kwan Dai
    Options

yeh..
    he's a horrible father..

LMAO. Dig it. My wife wasn't letting my sun or daughter out the crib at 3months. Ole non-cooking ass ? . Asking the ? Barrel waitress to warm up lil homie bottle in a microwave.
  • The Lonious Monk
    Options

yeh..
    he's a horrible father..

OH. HELL NAH!!!

u cant help who's around in a restaraunt tho..
    coughin sneezin.. all types of ? ..

people walkin up to u talkin to u the baby..

nah.. jus nah..
    i aint a germaphobe by any means.. but up until my daughter was damn near one she wasnt around no ? like that..

but thats jus me..

We probably didn't take our first daughter out til she was like 6 months. We may have taken our second daughter out at like 3 months. I can't remember. I'm not saying anyone is wrong to hold out. It's certainly safer. I just didn't agree with suggesting the guy was a bad father because of that. But you said that was sarcasm, so it's all good.
  • ericb4prez
    ericb4prez Members Posts: 4,201 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    ? is in they feelings cuz he said I now some dudes who don't take care of their kids lol
  • ChillaDaKilla
    ChillaDaKilla Members, Banned Users Posts: 7,082 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    White people in no way shape or form do not mean well...
  • optimistic
    optimistic Members Posts: 659 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

^^^^^

make that make sense

You switched up the narrative real slick like. Nobody downplayed the man for doing family, but the extra ? to confirm what that couple was already thinking was unnecessary.