Gonorrhea, Chlamydia, Syphilis Becoming Untreatable, According To WHO

1CK1S
1CK1S Members Posts: 27,471 ✭✭✭✭✭

The World Health Organization (WHO) announced Tuesday that the world is running out of ways to treat a once easily curable sexually transmitted infection, gonorrhea. The infection is reportedly becoming increasingly resistant to antibiotics due to "misuse and overuse" of antibiotics, according to WHO. The organization also released new guidelines for treatment of gonorrhea as well as chlamydia and syphilis, which are also becoming resistant to the drugs typically used to treat them.

In light of the drug resistance to gonorrhea, the new guidelines from the WHO advises that doctors treating gonorrhea patients cease to prescribe quinolones, a class of antibiotics previously effective in the treatment of gonorrhea. Now, doctors are advised to use cephalosporins, a different class of antibiotics.

Ian Askew, WHO's director of Reproductive Health and Research, said in the news release,

Chlamydia, gonorrhoea and syphilis are major public health problems worldwide, affecting millions of peoples' quality of life, causing serious illness and sometimes death. The new WHO guidelines reinforce the need to treat these STIs with the right antibiotic, at the right dose, and the right time to reduce their spread and improve sexual and reproductive health.
Askew added that health agencies worldwide need to monitor the resistance of these infections to antibiotics.

But gonorrhea is already showing resistance to cephalosporins in some countries, according to the journal Science. In some cases, doctors are using combinations of antibiotics to cure gonorrhea, but Toedora Wi, also with WHO's Department of Reproductive Health and Research, tells Science that in order to adequately treat gonorrhea, "We will have to have new drugs in 5 years, I think."

In its news release regarding the updates to the best treatment plans, WHO noted that gonorrhea, chlamydia, and syphilis are especially dangerous when untreated in women. Any of these STIs can cause long-term reproductive health problems for women, including pelvic inflammatory disease and miscarriage​. In both men and women, untreated gonorrhea and chlamydia can cause infertility, and seriously increase the risk of becoming infected with ? .

Comments

• mc317
    mc317 Members Posts: 5,548 ✭✭✭✭✭
    whats the matter you burning
  • vagrant-718
    vagrant-718 Members Posts: 4,569 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Damn @ burning for 5 years.

Doc: you got gonorrhea, ask my secretary to get you an appt for 2021
  • Max.
    Max. Members Posts: 33,009 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Will Munny
    Will Munny Members Posts: 30,199 ✭✭✭✭✭
    DWO wrote: »
    monogamy>>>>>>>

For real. I think I might start actively seeking a girlfriend. This ? is too scary.
  • blackgod813
    blackgod813 Members Posts: 9,577 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I never really used a condom maybe twice an never got sick....
  • Lou Cypher
    Lou Cypher Members Posts: 52,521 ✭✭✭✭✭
    This has been going on for quite awhile. Didnt read the article so it may have been mentioned already, but this is because of people continuously getting infected and going in for treatment. They either will not wait the full 2 weeks of treatment before having sex again, or will repeatedly sleep with the person that has been infecting them and then the strain becomes resistant to the antibiotics. Then that person with the resistant strain has sex with someone else, infecting them, then that newly infected person goes in for treatment but it doesnt work.

They have been doing a lot of presentations on it here at the hospital I work at and say its blowing up in Hawaii and a lot of folks down there are unable to be treated for their Clap or gonnorhea
  • Vellum
    Vellum Members Posts: 471 ✭✭✭✭
    Lou_Cypher wrote: »
    This has been going on for quite awhile. Didnt read the article so it may have been mentioned already, but this is because of people continuously getting infected and going in for treatment. They either will not wait the full 2 weeks of treatment before having sex again, or will repeatedly sleep with the person that has been infecting them and then the strain becomes resistant to the antibiotics. Then that person with the resistant strain has sex with someone else, infecting them, then that newly infected person goes in for treatment but it doesnt work.

They have been doing a lot of presentations on it here at the hospital I work at and say its blowing up in Hawaii and a lot of folks down there are unable to be treated for their Clap or gonnorhea

Yup. Its really just stupid people being stupid and lazy. Youd be surprised who has stuff too. Ive known two lilly white girls, one i worked with, and one that was my gf's roommate, who both got herpes from their military boyfriends. Oh wait, a third one too. She was a white girl that was a friend of a friend. Had da herp too.

It really changed my perspective on who has std's out here. You think you can tell, or judge, but you cant. Sometimes ? 's be out here clean as ? , and the cute girl who is quiet has been living with herpes for like 6 years.
  • VulcanRaven
    VulcanRaven Members Posts: 18,859 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Vellum wrote: »

Yup. Its really just stupid people being stupid and lazy. Youd be surprised who has stuff too. Ive known two lilly white girls, one i worked with, and one that was my gf's roommate, who both got herpes from their military boyfriends. Oh wait, a third one too. She was a white girl that was a friend of a friend. Had da herp too.

It really changed my perspective on who has std's out here. You think you can tell, or judge, but you cant. Sometimes ? 's be out here clean as ? , and the cute girl who is quiet has been living with herpes for like 6 years.

Anybody can have an STD dog lol
  • Vellum
    edited September 2016
    Vellum wrote: »

Anybody can have an STD dog lol

No ? sherlock, but usually youre thinking loose women. Dudes who ? any and everything. Silly ? ? . Drug addicts, ect... Im sure you saw the white part, and thought, "wait, did this ? not think white girls/people could get std's". No you ? ? . That wasnt what i was implying, and those were the only people i knew with non curable stds in my life.

These were just women that were the very last on my list to have genital herpes. Nothing about their demeanor, education level, careers, social life made me think, oh, of course dat ? got herp. One was even kinda nerdy. Like, they werent the pamela andersons of the world, or miley cyruses of the world. The fact that two got it from military men, one who seemed to know he had it, and just spread it to shorty, was also mind boggling to me.

Ya, my brother has gotten ? and the clap before. So has my best friend, but both, one male, one female, were ? , so it was to be expected.

Excuse me for being naive at one point in my life. lol
  • D. Morgan
    D. Morgan Members Posts: 11,662 ✭✭✭✭✭
    All the pesticides being used on our food is also part of the problem for why antibiotics are not work like they used to.
  • not_osirus_jenkins
    not_osirus_jenkins Members, Banned Users Posts: 3,670 ✭✭✭✭✭
    monogamy>>><<<

fixed that for you. <<<Getting tested with your new partners before you go in raw
  •   Colin$mackabi$h
    Colin$mackabi$h Members Posts: 16,586 ✭✭✭✭✭
    There is a reason why the world health organization has a snake in their logo, they are not to be trusted.
    D. Morgan wrote: »
    All the pesticides being used on our food is also part of the problem for why antibiotics are not work like they used to.

• Will Munny
    Will Munny Members Posts: 30,199 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2016
    monogamy>>><<<

fixed that for you. <<<Getting tested with your new partners before you go in raw

I can tell you right now when I'm staring at a pair of ? the last thing I'm thinking about it an STD or getting tested.
  • zzombie
    zzombie Members Posts: 11,280 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Kai
    Kai Members, Moderators Posts: 704 Regulator

No, it's because they are over prescribed and people don't take all of their antibiotics, stopping when they start to feel better. But that can leave some of the infection behind allowing it to evolve and develop resistance. If this keeps going on you get increasingly more and more drug resistant infections.

So we need to stop prescribing them so much and take all of your antibiotics, no matter how much better you feel

It's actually really interesting to see the evolution of resistance in bacteria, if it wasn't so terrifying

• Bussy_Getta
    Bussy_Getta Members Posts: 37,679 ✭✭✭✭✭
    White people problem. ? immune to this ? fam.
  • Qiv_Owan
    Qiv_Owan Members Posts: 4,125 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Kai wrote: »

No, it's because they are over prescribed and people don't take all of their antibiotics, stopping when they start to feel better. But that can leave some of the infection behind allowing it to evolve and develop resistance. If this keeps going on you get increasingly more and more drug resistant infections.

So we need to stop prescribing them so much and take all of your antibiotics, no matter how much better you feel

It's actually really interesting to see the evolution of resistance in bacteria, if it wasn't so terrifying

The problem is people aint concerned with theot health till their in bad shape

I pop garlic and take vitamin c on the regular, only been sick once since 2013 and that was this year...was doing laptop support at a charter school

u wanna test your immune system walk into a school classroom for an hour (college included)

As far as stds go ? need to use condoms if they aint exclusive
  • Vellum
    Qiv_Owan wrote: »
    Kai wrote: »

The problem is people aint concerned with theot health till their in bad shape

I pop garlic and take vitamin c on the regular, only been sick once since 2013 and that was this year...was doing laptop support at a charter school

u wanna test your immune system walk into a school classroom for an hour (college included)

As far as stds go ? need to use condoms if they aint exclusive

? , you weak. I havent been sick in 15 years. lol. The most i get is a semi soar throat for a day and a half, and i drink and eat what the ? i want.

Superior genes, ? . ? getting sick.
    tumblr_mphv4rJK7z1r72ht7o1_500.gif