How long do you guys normally bulk?

Options
prime_time_willy
prime_time_willy Members Posts: 948 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited September 2016 in The Weight Room
Just curious, I know some usually go one a 12 week bulk then cut for 12 weeks. I've been bulking for about a year now(I'm an ectomorph so I gain weight slow) and I got up to 194 and last year I was at 169 this time. I think might push for 200 but the constant big eating is wearing me down lol.

Cutting is way easier for me physically and mentally because I've never been a big eater although I never been a big cardio fan either. I'm looking forward to what kind of improvement I've made when I cut down.

Comments

• Thereal_ba
    Thereal_ba Members Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2016
    Options
    Depends on goals but my bulking goal is 215, I'm at 190 currently. When I first started 4 months ago, I was weighing in at 155 fresh out the hospital.
  • prime_time_willy
    Options
    Well Gotdamn! That's one strong ass bulk.
  • its....JOHN B
    its....JOHN B Members Posts: 19,830 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    ? I'm almost identical, last year before I started bulking I was probably just under 170 on most mornings and would fluctuate between that and 175, then got on the bulk tip and got up to about 195, from there I started getting inconsistent with the diet gotvtired if eating the same ? and also the workout I was on fire benching as much as I ever did but maybe I would get busy for a while and start losing progress and my schedule changed working at 4 in the morning sleep is minimal, on top of all that my favorite gym closed, just kind of maintained decent strength but I just recently got into crossfit, been getting in the best shape in my life, working parts of my body I never worked before, getting my flexibility and stamina up and I'm cutting up pretty good, the plan is to do it for 4-6 months then get on a test cycle and start hitting the weights heavy again
  • silverfoxx
    silverfoxx Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 11,704 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Can you bulk from push ups only? I know it's a stupid question but since I'm in the gym temporarily, I'll do like 250 push ups and 350 sit ups
  • its....JOHN B
    its....JOHN B Members Posts: 19,830 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    silverfoxx wrote: »
    Can you bulk from push ups only? I know it's a stupid question but since I'm in the gym temporarily, I'll do like 250 push ups and 350 sit ups

Yea if you put some weight on your back
  • Thereal_ba
    Thereal_ba Members Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Without any type of additional weight you will plateau.
  • prime_time_willy
    edited September 2016
    Options

You can get one of those pull up bars so you can target different muscle groups. Also invest in getting some dumbbells and resistant bands. I have a friend of mine who works out at the gym but works out at home too if he's just too tired to go. I used to work out at home a lot as well a few years ago with pull up bars and dumbbells.
  • prime_time_willy
    Options
    ? I'm almost identical, last year before I started bulking I was probably just under 170 on most mornings and would fluctuate between that and 175, then got on the bulk tip and got up to about 195, from there I started getting inconsistent with the diet gotvtired if eating the same ? and also the workout I was on fire benching as much as I ever did but maybe I would get busy for a while and start losing progress and my schedule changed working at 4 in the morning sleep is minimal, on top of all that my favorite gym closed, just kind of maintained decent strength but I just recently got into crossfit, been getting in the best shape in my life, working parts of my body I never worked before, getting my flexibility and stamina up and I'm cutting up pretty good, the plan is to do it for 4-6 months then get on a test cycle and start hitting the weights heavy again

The before and after pics are insane. I've always been a natty guy but when you see the massive improvement people make in a year it can tempt you sometimes. But considering all the health risk you take it makes me not wanting to try.
  • silverfoxx
    silverfoxx Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 11,704 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

You can get one of those pull up bars so you can target different muscle groups. Also invest in getting some dumbbells and resistant bands. I have a friend of mine who works out at the gym but works out at home too of he's just too tired to go. I used to work out at home a lot as well a few years ago with pull up bars and dumbbells.

What kind of dumbbells should I get? I'm 180 lbs
  • dwade206
    dwade206 Members Posts: 11,558 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Nah bruh, not at all. You're going to peak quickly and you won't grow past a certain point. Your body needs to be overloaded with weight to get noticeable mass. Trust me I know. I was on that Bartendaz 500 push-ups 150 pull-ups 5 days a week regimen and I didn't grow much. When I went back to the free weights, mass came right back.
  • prime_time_willy
    Options

You can get one of those pull up bars so you can target different muscle groups. Also invest in getting some dumbbells and resistant bands. I have a friend of mine who works out at the gym but works out at home too of he's just too tired to go. I used to work out at home a lot as well a few years ago with pull up bars and dumbbells.

You can get one of those adjustable dumbbells but it's going to cost a nice chunk of change. If you don't want to spend that much(I wouldn't blame you) you can get about 30-40lbs dumbbells. Cut your rest period short and do a lot of super sets, compound sets, and circuit routines. That way you can keep the blood flow pumping and get a good work out in.
  • prime_time_willy
    edited September 2016
    Options
    dwade206 wrote: »

Nah bruh, not at all. You're going to peak quickly and you won't grow past a certain point. Your body needs to be overloaded with weight to get noticeable mass. Trust me I know. I was on that Bartendaz 500 push-ups 150 pull-ups 5 days a week regimen and I didn't grow much. When I went back to the free weights, mass came right back.

He can still add on decent size but I agree he will plateau eventually if he don't mix it up and add other stuff in there.
  • dwade206
    dwade206 Members Posts: 11,558 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Exactly my point. There's no need to to even have a bulking season of your doing just calisthenics. Dude might ? around and get fat.
  • LUClEN
    LUClEN Members Posts: 20,559 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    365 days a year. I aim to eat only slightly above maintenance though
  • Qiv_Owan
    Qiv_Owan Members Posts: 4,125 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Once you plateau isnt it all strength/endurance/stamina from then on

With push ups

I was hitting 5k a week for 3 weeks straight, ? size i literally felt stronger and less bulky...like it better actually

Plateau is a terrible word to assess it
  • BelovedAfeni
    BelovedAfeni Members Posts: 8,647 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

You can get one of those adjustable dumbbells but it's going to cost a nice chunk of change. If you don't want to spend that much(I wouldn't blame you) you can get about 30-40lbs dumbbells. Cut your rest period short and do a lot of super sets, compound sets, and circuit routines. That way you can keep the blood flow pumping and get a good work out in.

You can check craigslist and yard sales for used weights

People throw out that equipment regularly

I made a nice set from army surplus
  • luke1733
    luke1733 Members Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    30 minute workouts once every other day for about 10 weeks. After that I take a break and work out about 3 days a week.

7 sets of 10 pushups
    5 sets of 12 shoulder shrugs
    5 sets of 12 bicep curls
    5 sets of 5 stretched chin-ups for the back
    5 sets of 5 lateral raises for shoulders
    10 sets of 10 situps or more
    5 sets of 5 seated shoulder presses
    After 10 weeks I break down to this After I'm in shape.
    I cut the variety in half per day I work out, meaning on

Monday: I do pushups, bicep curls, shoulder shrugs and lateral raises.

Wednesday: I do stretched chin-ups for the back, situps, pushups, seated shoulder press, bicep curls, and seated shoulder presses.

I alternate workouts every other day after I'm in shape.