Are Elitists or "heads" Bad for hip hop?

Options
2»

Comments

• ZNLMR
    ZNLMR Confirm Email Posts: 75
    edited August 2010
    Options
    Hip-hop has evolved over time in it's elements but the foundation of it has to remain as this is what has made it hip-hop. So their may be different takes and preferences in hip-hop but it's roots can't be unearthed.
  • Mvpbrodie93
    Mvpbrodie93 Members Posts: 8,036 ✭✭✭
    edited February 2011
    Options
    Can one of the mods change it to bad "for" hip hop?
  • musicology1985
    musicology1985 Members Posts: 4,632 ✭✭
    edited February 2011
    Options
    brombonze wrote: »
    "Heads" are good 4 hip hop. Elitists are just another term 4 haters that refuse to accept change.

I agree. It's the most important sect of Hip Hop and should be preserved. That's why I call them purists as well.

They are the highest degree.
  • Mvpbrodie93
    edited February 2011
    Options
    I agree. It's the most important sect of Hip Hop and should be preserved. That's why I call them purists as well.

They are the highest degree.

Heads>>>Elitists
  • Mvpbrodie93
    edited April 2011
    Options
    Bump... .......
  • Mvpbrodie93
    edited April 2011
    Options
    on the real tho, i like hip hop heads its just elitists can go overboard.
  • Knives Amilli
    Knives Amilli Members Posts: 4,632 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2011
    Options
    JokerzWyld wrote: »

All-in-all i don't think that "elitists" as we view them are bad for hip hop, i think they are the most critical of hip hop. I see a lot of so called elitists in this forum crushing stans and haters in various debates. Hip Hop Heads just simply care enough about the music to learn about it, as most people who listen to the music don't. Most people who listen to the music and buy the music are casual music listeners who go to the radio as a primary source of music. Hip Hop Heads appreciate hip hop from an artistic POV much like a hip hop artist would.

Enough of my rant. Personally, the only think I think is bad for hip hop is the hip hop industry and the radio, but that's me.
    Legend24 wrote: »
    Elitists: Bad for hip-hop (bad for music in general). They are stuck in the past and refuse to open up their ears to different sounds. They won't be satisfied unless you get them a time machine to send them back to 1988.

Heads: Good for hip-hop. They appreciate the history of the art and know what they like. With that said, they're open to change and can still enjoy new music if they deem it to be quality stuff.

Pretty much sums up my thoughts.
  • Authentic100
    Authentic100 Members Posts: 1,320 ✭✭✭
    edited April 2011
    Options
    elitists are usually sum nerd ? ............
  • Fazeem_Blackall
    Fazeem_Blackall Members Posts: 4,216 ✭✭
    edited April 2011
    Options
    JokerzWyld wrote: »
    I did a thread asking people on here to define an "elitist" and it always comes back as those who like a certain brand of underground or lyrical hip hop. However, the same could be said about people who like the music that's less lyrical of today. You can be an elitist if you like ? that bangs in the whip >>>>>>>> anything with substance to it.

I say that to say this: Hip Hop has many sides, and if people prefer certain content to others, than that is their preference and not what i would consider elitism, but no matter what content you enjoy that's no reason to excuse poor talent.

For those people who are upset because they perceive that fans of yesterday are hating on hip hop of today because they are stuck in their ways, consider this: The climate of music in general is worse today than it was ten years ago. I don't just mean that the artistry has declined, but the business itself has declined. I don't like some of the artists of today, but i don't hate those artists for existing or even playing constantly on the radio. I recognize as a fan of music that these artists were placed here by the industry to be stupid in order to get exploited by a 360-Deal that most serious artists would be too smart to sign without some form of concession.

All-in-all i don't think that "elitists" as we view them are bad for hip hop, i think they are the most critical of hip hop. I see a lot of so called elitists in this forum crushing stans and haters in various debates. Hip Hop Heads just simply care enough about the music to learn about it, as most people who listen to the music don't. Most people who listen to the music and buy the music are casual music listeners who go to the radio as a primary source of music. Hip Hop Heads appreciate hip hop from an artistic POV much like a hip hop artist would.

Enough of my rant. Personally, the only think I think is bad for hip hop is the hip hop industry and the radio, but that's me.

Realest ? Posted in this thread and should be enough to shut down any argument...