Columbus,OH pigs ? a black 13-year-old boy Tyre King who was carrying laser BB gun...

stringer bell
stringer bell Members Posts: 26,212 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited September 2016 in For The Grown & Sexy
https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2016/sep/15/columbus-police-shoot-dead-13-year-old-bb-gun-ohio-tyree-king
Columbus police shoot dead 13-year-old boy carrying BB gun

Police in Columbus, Ohio on Wednesday shot and killed a 13-year-old boy who was carrying a BB gun, authorities said.

The air gun which Tyree King was holding had a laser sight. An officer mistook it for a lethal firearm, police said. The boy was shot multiple times and died in a Columbus children’s hospital.

Authorities said officers were responding to a report of a robbery in which several people, one carrying a gun, approached a man and demanded money. Police said officers spotted three people, including Tyree, who matched a description of the robbers.

The officers approached the group and Tyree and one of his companions fled, police said. Tyree was shot multiple times after allegedly pulling the BB gun from his waistband.

Officials did not immediately identify the officer involved or release more detailed information about the shooting, including the race of Tyree or the officer who shot him. The city’s mayor and police chief were expected to address the public at 11am.

The death of Tyree King has similarities with the police shooting in a Cleveland park of 12-year-old Tamir Rice in 2014. Tamir, who was black, was carrying a pellet gun; officer Timothy Loehmann opened fire moments after pulling up to the park.

Dispatchers had received a 911 call reporting that someone was pointing a gun at people in the park, the caller adding that the gun was “probably fake” and the carrier was “probably a juvenile”.

Tamir’s death was one of a number of high-profile police killings of African Americans that spurred protests across the country regarding the disproportionate number of black people killed by police.

According to The Counted, the Guardian’s project to track every person killed by police in 2015 and 2016, Tyree is one of 14 children killed by police so far this year.

At least 34 people who were killed by police this year were carrying non-lethal firearms, such as pellet or toy guns, that authorities mistook for lethal weapons.

Smh...

Comments

• Vellum
    Vellum Members Posts: 471 ✭✭✭✭
    ? happens. There were a group of people that robbed someone earlier, they fit the description. Cops go to talk to them, they take off running, allegedly he pulls out his bb gun, gets got.

Who cares. Clearly ? aint learning in America. Keep repeating the same cliche over and over. His age is irrelevant. Parents should be ashamed.
  • twizza 77
    twizza 77 Members Posts: 4,201 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm skeptical about police shootings. But I am going reserve judgement. For right now.
  • blackamerica
    blackamerica Members Posts: 2,897 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Vellum wrote: »
    ? happens. There were a group of people that robbed someone earlier, they fit the description. Cops go to talk to them, they take off running, allegedly he pulls out his bb gun, gets got.

Who cares. Clearly ? aint learning in America. Keep repeating the same cliche over and over. His age is irrelevant. Parents should be ashamed.
    Man shut yo ? troll azz up. If ur white then ur a ignorant cac baby made outta ? . Either way run along now
  • stringer bell
    stringer bell Members Posts: 26,212 ✭✭✭✭✭

http://abcnews.go.com/US/police-responding-armed-robbery-cleveland-shoot-? -13/story?id=42105421
    'Patience' Needed During Investigation Into Teen's Fatal Shooting by Cop, Says Columbus Mayor

As authorities investigate an officer's shooting of a 13-year-old boy who fled the scene of an alleged armed robbery in Columbus, Ohio, the city's mayor called the death "troubling" and asked for "patience," saying an investigation "takes time."

The young victim -- identified as Tyree King -- pulled what looked like handgun from his waistband as officers pursued him and two other robbery suspects Wednesday night. The officer shot and struck Tyree multiple times. The boy was rushed to a hospital and pronounced dead that night, police told ABC affiliate WSYX. The weapon has since been determined to be a BB gun.

Columbus Chief of Police Kim Jacobs this morning called the shooting a "tragedy," saying that after all the evidence is gathered, the investigation will be turned over to the prosecutor's office, which will present it to a grand jury to determine if criminal charges should be filed.

Mayor Andrew Ginther called the teen's death "troubling." The eighth-grader had nearly an exact replica of a police firearm and was involved in "very dangerous conduct," added the mayor. He said this should be a "call to action" for the community to help keep neighborhoods safe.

Anyone with information about shooting is urged to contact police, said Ginther, adding, "I ask for everyone's patience" as an investigation "takes time."

The shooting happened Wednesday night, when an alleged robbery victim told officers that a group of individuals had approached him, one of them brandishing a gun, and demanded money, a police statement said.

Officers responded to the scene on Hoffman Street, where they said they saw three males matching the victim's description of the suspects and approached them, prompting two of the males to flee on foot.

The officers followed the males to a nearby alley and attempted to take them into custody, when one suspect pulled what looked like a handgun from his waistband, the police statement said.

"Detectives processed the shooting scene and collected what appeared to be a handgun," the statement continued. "Upon further inspection, it was determined to be a BB gun with an attached laser sight."

The officers and other suspects were not injured.

"Our thoughts and prayers are with everyone involved," Ginther said today.

Jacobs said the officer involved has been placed on administrative leave for one week. He will see a psychologist before returning to work, she said.

"I will not let an officer out on the street ... if I don't trust them," she added.
  • Ajackson17
    Ajackson17 Members Posts: 22,501 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Damn, let me ask my cousin that might be her baby dad kin their last name is king
  • mryounggun
    mryounggun Members Posts: 13,451 ✭✭✭✭✭
    caddo man wrote: »
    Bruh my son asked me to buy him a toy gun awhile back. I told him hell no! You aint getting a watergun. I dont give a ? . Damn shame I feel that way but unless we are in the woods hunting. He doesnt need ? that resemble a weapon. ? getting shot butt naked.

My girls son is 8 and mine is 7. We both forbid them from having toy guns that look even remotely realistic.
  • The Lonious Monk
    The Lonious Monk Members Posts: 26,258 ✭✭✭✭✭
    xxCivicxx wrote: »
    So they're saying he pulled the bb gun out of his waist as he was running away?

Smh ok

Seems fishy. Why would someone knowingly pull a BB gun on someone with a real gun? If it really did go like that though, I can't fault the cops here. Most BB guns now look real.
  • stackmaster 313
    stackmaster 313 Members Posts: 1,347 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Seems fishy it is fishy, very sad and tragic its not hard to get a bb gun can't blame the victim yet. Plus it doesn't say he aimed it or fired it for that matter. Again older white men with pistols are not shot by police. I need to see his body cam or dash cam.. But having a gun shouldnt be a death sentence in America when you have a right to have one. So im tired of that argument that he had a gun?! Everyone has a gun this is America you shouldnt get killed for that!
  • D. Morgan
    D. Morgan Members Posts: 11,662 ✭✭✭✭✭
    xxCivicxx wrote: »
    So they're saying he pulled the bb gun out of his waist as he was running away?

Smh ok

Seems fishy. Why would someone knowingly pull a BB gun on someone with a real gun? If it really did go like that though, I can't fault the cops here. Most BB guns now look real.

Always my thought process.

• Focal Point
    Focal Point Members Posts: 16,307 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2016
    7figz wrote: »
    Before this whole thread is occupied by people vilifying BB guns and justifying this ? , let me ask you 2 things:

- Are BB guns illegal ?
    - How many white kids are killed for carrying BB guns ?

Very true, but then the real question is how many incidents are similar so that a comparison can be made
  • 7figz
    7figz Members Posts: 15,294 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Before this whole thread is occupied by people vilifying BB guns and justifying this ? , let me ask you 2 things:

- Are BB guns illegal ?

Very true, but then the real question is how many incidents are similar so that a comparison can be made

That's the thing, ? doesn't even seem to become an "incident" when white people have BB guns (or real guns for that matter).
  • ThaNubianGod
    ThaNubianGod Members Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭✭✭

- Are BB guns illegal ?

I had a BB gun as a kid, but I was also not a stick up kid rolling with other to rob people. I'm gonna wait for the facts because media reports are wrong at first, half the time. But I wish people on Twitter would stop bringing up Tamir Rice's name, because that kid did nothing criminal and the two situations don't look close to being the same.
  • ghostdog56
    ghostdog56 Members Posts: 2,947 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Do yall think the outcome would have been the same if the kid was white?

o05wecd7cimn.jpg
  • Focal Point
    Focal Point Members Posts: 16,307 ✭✭✭✭✭

- Are BB guns illegal ?

That's the thing, ? doesn't even seem to become an "incident" when white people have BB guns (or real guns for that matter).

And that's the part that is so hard because it isn't an incident if there were some type of record or something to pair up, all bases would be covered
  • Stiff
    Stiff Members Posts: 7,723 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Welp cops walking.