Why Does Japan Get it Wrong with the Best Tekken Characters?

2»

Comments

• P-Dogg77
    P-Dogg77 Members Posts: 4,429 ✭✭✭
    edited August 2010
    I'll whoop your ? with Devil Jin
  • arbitration
    arbitration Members Posts: 1,969 ✭✭✭
    edited August 2010
    Well put Shyheim. I guess then the issue, as you're suggesting, is who are your favorite characters in Tekken and why. IMO, it's Eddy, Lei, Law because I playing with them is more fun than playing with Jin or Heihachi, whose moves are more powerful, but feel a lot less smooth. Among many people I know, people really like Law, Paul, Nina, and Yoshimistu. Very few ppl I know enjoy playing with Heihachi. No one I know likes playing with Jin. Which is why I get perplexed when these guys get the most face time when Namco publicizes Tekken. You would think there would be a demand inside of Japan to push other players (fine, not Eddy, but how about Yoshimitsu? Law? Lei?). But instead, these guys get the short end of the stick.

Compare this with Mortal Kombat. The story initially focused on Liu Kang and Raiden. Fans became drawn to Sub-Zero, Scorpion, etc., so eventually, the mythos around their characters became just as well developed as any other character. This isn't happening with Tekken. Lei and Law get relegated to sh*tty storylines. They aren't placed on the cover of games, or featured in cross overs. What gives?
  • the1nonlyruru
    the1nonlyruru Members Posts: 1,055 ✭✭
    edited August 2010
    noob started this post here if he first brought up gordo
  • vagrant-718
    vagrant-718 Members Posts: 4,569 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2010
    You said that Jin was not in T1 and T2 but he is still relevant to the storyline as he is the son of two tekken 2 characters and was there in T3 to to represent the new breed/offspring of past characters like Forest Law, Hworang and Julia.

Since the first tekken centered around the rivalry between Kazuya and Heihachi, it only make sense that Jin would be thrown into the mix since he has the devil genes from Kazuya

The characters that you mention (Eddy, Law, Lei) has no storyline so it makes no sense to make them the face of the series

And I like playing as Jin and he was top tier in Tekken 3 and 4
  • The Lonious Monk
    The Lonious Monk Members Posts: 26,258 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2010
    I love me some Heihachi. He literally has three different way to stomp a mudhole in your ass. Plus there is nothing better than being able to knock your opponent halfway across the screen with half the moves in your arsenal.