What you know about HDMI cables and 4K TV's?

Options
Karl.
Karl. Members Posts: 8,015 ✭✭✭✭✭
I just upgraded my TV for 4K/HDR. Just wondering if I need to upgrade my HDMI cables to "High Speed" or are the standard PS4/Xbox One cables sufficient?

The stupid ? in the store tried telling me I need to buy these gold plated ? for £80. Smh/Lmao I know there are old folks out there who are duped by this dumb ? .

Comments

• vagrant-718
    vagrant-718 Members Posts: 4,569 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Need to upgrade to hdmi 2.0. Can probably get them cheap on Amazon
  • AP21
    AP21 Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 17,743 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    you can get hdmi cords for little or nothing

i've gotten them as cheap as $5. that gold plated, platinum plated stuff is just for marketing

also, hold out on the 4k b/c the tech hasnt caught up yet. Most things have to be scaled up to 4k instead of being native to that resolution. Just wait until stuff starts getting made in 4k, and wait for the price drop.
  • Karl.
    Options
    The tech has caught up. You can stream UHD/4K with Netflix etc and the new consoles will have 4K and HDR. Plus it upscales standard HD too. They're not even that expensive anymore either.
  • AP21
    Options
    RE: netflix, 4k isnt the standard which is why only a few things on netflix are in 4k

i mean, i aint counting ya pockets, but to me, the demand still aint there for 4k, but if you got it, more power to you, but 1080p is still awesome and way more affordable
  • Karl.
    Options
    I feel you. I needed a new TV anyway. We were rocking an old 32" in our room so I thought why not?

It was only £600 and I had an extra 200 from a quick job I did for a friend. Pretty much free money. £400 is still a lot of money but that's pretty standard for a TV.
  • AP21
    Options
    idk what that is in US currency and im too lazy to look lol

but i feel you
  • VulcanRaven
    VulcanRaven Members Posts: 18,859 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    HDR is the reason I got a 4KTV because I will be getting the Pro eventually and got a good deal on one. Not too early if you got a good deal like me. More content will be coming in the next year and up-scaling is still better than 1080p.
  • Karl.
    Options
    HDR is the reason I got a 4KTV because I will be getting the Pro eventually and got a good deal on one. Not too early if you got a good deal like me. More content will be coming in the next year and up-scaling is still better than 1080p.

I wasn't interested in the Pro but now I have this TV I'm thinking about it.
  • Negro_Caesar
    Negro_Caesar Members Posts: 6,752 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Karl. wrote: »

Most reviews I've read on the pro says it's not worth the money. If u already have a PS4
  • Karl.
    Options
    ? _Caesar wrote: »

Most reviews I've read on the pro says it's not worth the money. If u already have a PS4

Yea they're probably right. Looking at the PS4 in this tv it looks absolutely stunning!
  • The Recipe
    The Recipe Members Posts: 10,570 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2016
    Options
    Lmfao they tried to get me to buy a 80$ surge protector with scare tactics talking about lightning hitting power lines or what not and blowing out the TV, when I picked up my first flat screen back in they day the ? was convincing too, lowkey had me spooked but I still wasnt about to drop 80 for whats essentially an extension cord.
  • Karl.
    Options
    They offered me insurance for the drive home. £30. Utter ?
  • metal face terrorist
    metal face terrorist Members Posts: 1,708 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    The best 4k TV with HDR is the 2016 Vizio P Series.
  • AP21
    edited September 2016
    Options
    The Recipe wrote: »
    Lmfao they tried to get me to buy a 80$ surge protector with scare tactics talking about lightning hitting power lines or what not and blowing out the TV, when I picked up my first flat screen back in they day the ? was convincing too, lowkey had me spooked but I still wasnt about to drop 80 for whats essentially an extension cord.

iirc, having the tv plugged in the surge protector trips that lil box before it gets to the tv so it doesnt short circuit your tv...you aint gotta pay $80 tho lol
  • Karl.
    Options

I hear Samsung is better in spec and quality but Vizio is better for value and range of sizes etc.

You can't really find Vizio products in the UK though
  • The Recipe
    The Recipe Members Posts: 10,570 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    AP21 wrote: »
    The Recipe wrote: »

iirc, having the tv plugged in the surge protector trips that lil box before it gets to the tv so it doesnt short circuit your tv...you aint gotta pay $80 tho lol

Yeap thats what they said lol.
  • Karl.
    Options
    When was the last time your house was struck by lightning though?
  • AP21
    Options

might be the electric pole or the grid your house is on

i mean, its possible lol
  • KNiGHTS
    KNiGHTS Members Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    The upgraded cables thing is scam as ? . I bought a set, picture looked the same, and promptly took it back. I don't do super blu-ray or whatever the claim was that it'd improve things on. The TV looks amazing with native 4K content on Netflix and YouTube on standard cables, so I wouldn't go out of my way for the upgraded cables.
  • banginscrew901
    banginscrew901 Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 7,148 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I got the Samsung k9000 series tv 4k tv and I used my old cables for the time being.. I did upgrade the cables but I got them off Amazon and they were cheap needed the length. But even still playing the ps4,hd channels and watching blu-ray still showing like it did at the store
  • banginscrew901
    Options
    I wouldn't dare buy cables from best buy or any box store. When they come out with some new technology with hdmi cables I'll think about upgrading again
  • OGDirtyDee
    OGDirtyDee Members Posts: 1,699 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

last year lightning hit my near my window and my dvd player and TV were dead in on contact. When you drop alot of money on a TV might as well make sure you protect that ? in every way possible.
  • not_osirus_jenkins
    not_osirus_jenkins Members, Banned Users Posts: 3,670 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Monster has some 4k rated hdmi cables.
  • not_osirus_jenkins
    not_osirus_jenkins Members, Banned Users Posts: 3,670 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

The colors on vizios are off. I'd only get a p series if it was one of the big boys. 75 inch tv for under 2k..? that a deal by anyone's standards. And you get a tablet remote.
  • banginscrew901
    Options
    Monster has some 4k rated hdmi cables.

Monster cables are over rated and over priced