Pa. Officer Loses Job After Racially Charged Snapchat Photo

Options
1CK1S
1CK1S Members Posts: 27,471 ✭✭✭✭✭
MCKEESPORT, Pa. —A screenshot showing a police officer in uniform with text that included a racial slur created a social media firestorm Tuesday and cost her two jobs with local departments.

'IT WAS A STUPID MISTAKE': POLICE OFFICER CAUGHT USING...
It was a stupid mistake Police officer caught using racial slur in social media photo
A screenshot showing a local police officer in uniform with text using a racial slur created a social media firestorm Tuesday.
MORE
The photo shows Melissa Adamson in full uniform with the caption, "I'm the law today n____."

"I'm not a racist. That's not how I plan on portraying myself," Adamson told Pittsburgh's Action News 4. "I love my job. I love what I do. It's what I want to do for the rest of my life."

McKeesport Mayor Michael Cherepko posted the following statement on Facebook:

"As mayor of the city of McKeesport, I feel compelled to publicly address an issue that has come to my attention via social media. A past social media post surfaced just a few hours ago involving a recently hired part-time police officer, who has been in training as a probationary employee for just a few weeks. This post displays a degree of conduct and character that is far different from what I would expect from an officer in this city. It is absolutely unacceptable. Without hesitation, my office and the police chief's office immediately concluded that this officer's actions will not be tolerated in the city of McKeesport. She has been relieved of her duties, and her employment has been terminated."

Adamson also worked part-time as a police officer in Versailles. She resigned from that job on Tuesday night, Police Chief Charles Roka said.

In the controversial photo, Adamson was wearing a Pitcairn police uniform. She had worked for that borough before being hired in McKeesport.

Pitcairn Police Chief Scott Farally said the photo appears to have been taken months ago, when officers wore long-sleeved uniforms during the winter months. Had it been brought to his attention while Adamson was still employed by Pitcairn, he would have started an investigation, the chief said.

"The picture itself is symbolic. It's non-gesture verbal communication. It's guaranteed under the First Amendment," Farally said. "However, it's the content within that picture that bothers me."

Farally said Adamson resigned from Pitcairn Sept. 20 to take a position with McKeesport.

Adamson said she knows it was "a stupid mistake" to post the picture, which she said is now being circulated maliciously.

"An altercation happened between me and a former police officer, and he’s bringing up his dirt, ruining my career, which has been done," she said.

A McKeesport native, Adamson said the term was used loosely by people around her.

"Everyone that knows me knows I don’t have a racist bone in my body," Adamson said. "And people who don’t know me, I can understand why it was misconstrued to where it looks racist. But like I said, everyone who knows me knows I'm not racist."

"I don't want this to affect how I do my job. I don't want people to look at me differently, thinking that I can't build myself up to the standard of a police officer," Adamson said. "Again, it was a stupid mistake. It shouldn't have been posted in general, regardless of how my intentions were."

"I'm sorry for who I did offend. It was not my intention. I can't express how sorry I am for how I made you feel -- emotionally, physically. Again, it wasn’t my intention."

bq5n4as3hl16.png

Comments