University Of Missouri Frat Bros Scream Disgusting Racist Insults At Black Women

1CK1S
1CK1S Members Posts: 27,471 ✭✭✭✭✭
Man-shouting-Shutterstock-800x430.jpg

COLUMBIA, Mo. — A fraternity at the University of Missouri has been suspended while officials investigate reports of racial and sexist slurs.

University officials and the Delta Upsilon national organization suspended the chapter of the fraternity Wednesday after members were accused of shouting slurs at black students late Tuesday.

Two black female students said other students yelled racial slurs at them as they walked past the fraternity house. The alleged slurs include the n-word and misogynistic expletives.

The temporary suspension means the fraternity cannot use campus facilities or participate in campus events, such as homecoming. The fraternity has been cited for multiple university violations this semester, including alcohol violations, according to a university statement.

Delta Upsilon International said in a statement that the temporary suspension would continue while the incident is investigated. Fraternity Executive Director Justin Kirk says "racism and sexism have no place in our fraternity."

No one answered the door of the fraternity house when a reporter knocked Wednesday night, although people were inside.

The university says it has identified the students involved and that discipline for those who violate the university's nondiscrimination policies may include expulsion. However, because of federal privacy laws, the university can't disclose whether the students involved were disciplined, said Christian Basi, university spokesperson.

Last year, reports of racist incidents on and near campus led to student protests that eventually toppled the heads of the university system and Mizzou campus.

Some students and officials started school again with the hope that this year would be better, despite an 8 percent lower enrollment. Faculty were looking at the possibility of having a diversity course requirement and free speech committee. Two weeks ago, Mizzou announced a plan to improve faculty diversity.

But Tuesday night's incident, just over a month into the semester, triggered reactions of frustration with progress.

"Quite frankly, WE. ARE. SICK. OF. THIS!" Mizzou's Legion of Black Collegians wrote in a statement Wednesday.

The incident began late Tuesday night when a group of white students walked past two members of the Legion of Black Collegians' Activities Committee.

The legion said in its statement that one of the white students yelled a racial slur at the women, who then contacted other legion members. Campus police arrived, but the legion says members of a fraternity then began shouting other obscenities and slurs at the legion members.

The legion also alleges that one of the police officers used "excessive verbal force" against a member while his hand was on his gun.

"To say that we are disgusted is beyond an understatement," the legion said in the statement. "It is often said that history repeats itself, but the ignorance that occurs on the University of Missouri's campus always seems to be too familiar."

Maj. Brian Weimer of the university police said, "What happened was very disgusting," but because there was no criminal activity, police are having the Office of Student Conduct and Office for Civil Rights and Title IX handle the situation.

Weimer also said his department will look into the allegation of "excessive verbal force" by an officer toward a legion member. But he added that no legion member has submitted a complaint yet to the department.

Interim Chancellor Hank Foley said in a statement the university has "zero tolerance" for racism or sexism.

"I am outraged and saddened to hear of this," Foley said in the statement. "The safety and security of our campus is our No. 1 priority; the University of Missouri is committed to fostering an inclusive campus environment where all students, faculty, staff and visitors can live, learn, work and feel safe."

At a protest earlier Wednesday in the University of Missouri Student Center, Shelby Anderson, president of the Legion of Black Collegians, said she and other black students were tired of feeling unwelcome on campus.

"It's 2016, and I'm still made to feel like I don't belong on this campus," she said. "If you don't want me here, you can leave."

Sean Earl, student body president, said it's "simply disappointing and disgusting that this happened," particularly because the campus has been trying to work on diversity and inclusion initiatives in light of last year.

"It sucks because it is a setback. But it is not the end of us going forward," he said.

Earl said his staff will support the Legion of Black Collegians and "let them know that our platform is also their platform."

Amanda Farrer, president of Mizzou's Panhellenic Association, said in a statement, "Just last night, our community proved that our perceived progress was distorted."

"Open forums will not suffice. Mandatory diversity trainings will not suffice. Initiating negligible numbers of minorities into our organizations will not suffice. To change our campus, we must change our hearts," she said in the statement.

Students gathered at the Black Cultural Center on Mizzou's campus Wednesday evening to talk about the incident and brief the community on what had gone on, followed by a prayer service.

Many students declined to speak to reporters, explaining they weren't comfortable speaking on behalf of other students of color.

Mizzou senior Destanee Bonds said she was glad the event gave students a chance to learn more about the incident and inquire about the response, as well as pray with their peers.

"Just to get our questions asked in a safe place, where in class, if my teacher brought it up I might not want to talk about it," Bonds said.

Tyler Jones, a freshman, said he hoped the meeting would be a first step for students to come together.

"Nothing happened to me, but we're all one. If something happened to my fellow student, I'm going to be mad too," he said. "I don't feel like fighting each other is going to fix anything, and that's kind of like what we're doing right now."

The room was filled to capacity, and students spilled into the hallways, but the meeting was closed to the media. University officials said any student organization has the right to reserve a room and restrict who can enter.

Comments