Laila Ali Explains Why She Doesn’t Post About Black Lives Matter On Social Media

Options
MR.CJ
MR.CJ Members Posts: 64,689 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited September 2016 in For The Grown & Sexy
Social media has played a vital role in bringing the Black Lives Matter movement to the forefront of public conversation. But last week, boxing legend Laila Ail explained to The Huffington Post why she opts out of participating in political discussions online.

Ali explained to host Jacques Morel that she doesn’t find social media to be an appropriate platform for communicating her desire for racial equality.

“By me not posting, it doesn’t mean that black lives don’t matter,” she said. “To me, it’s obvious that black lives matter. And then... I’m like, what is posting going to do? What is speaking out going to do?”

With sponsors and millions of Facebook fans, Ali said she has to be careful when posting content online because of her diverse following. “I don’t ever like to make people feel separate,” she said. It’s for this reason that she says she appreciates all aspects of diversity and inclusion.

“Yes, black lives matter. Yes, white lives matter, asian lives matter. All lives matter,” she said. “And that’s kind of what my focus is. But it’s hard because, you know, you’ve got sponsors and you’ve got this and you’ve got that. And you don’t want to step on anybody’s toes. And you’re trying to be politically correct, but at the same time trying to uplift your people.”

Using her children as a metaphor, Ali explained that it’s important to understand the impact and change people can have within their own homes.

“I would think about what can I do as a family to take responsibility for our actions,” she said. “So, I think as black people, we have to do the things that we can do to make a change within our own community within ourselves first and then let the trickle effect happen.”

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/why-laila-ali-doesnt-post-about-black-lives-matter-on-facebook_us_57e9846de4b06c63a5bf52af

Comments

• StillFaggyAF
    StillFaggyAF Members Posts: 40,358 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Not newsworthy
  • 1CK1S
    1CK1S Members Posts: 27,471 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    mryounggun wrote: »
    Even if you take away her lineage, this is still incredibly disappointing. But people feel how they feel. *shrugs*

Also I never got this, but how are these kids and grand kids of these prominent historical black figures who stood up to oppression all ? and sellouts?
  • D. Morgan
    D. Morgan Members Posts: 11,662 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    1CK1S wrote: »
    i was wit her for about a paragraph..
    And then she lost me..

the only color that matters to her is green..

And that's been the huge difference between blacks and other races plus the LGBT community. We're so enamored with money it's not even funny. When things happen with the Native American, Asian, Latin, Filipino communities, they ALL come together, but when sh-t goes down with the black community at least 60 to 65 percent of us are united, while the rest just don't really give a f-ck!

I don't even think the percentage is that high honestly. Which is truly ? up!
  • rapmusic
    rapmusic Members Posts: 4,130 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Man now if the media hates somebody and want to bury them all they have to do is ask them about black lives matter.
  • D0wn
    D0wn Members Posts: 10,818 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Disappointed in Lalai. out of all Ali's kids Lalai seemed the most like him...
    At the end of the day. She has blk kids and husband that the money ain't gonna protect from white supremacy.

1CK1S wrote: »
    i was wit her for about a paragraph..
    And then she lost me..

the only color that matters to her is green..

And that's been the huge difference between blacks and other races plus the LGBT community. We're so enamored with money it's not even funny. When things happen with the Native American, Asian, Latin, Filipino communities, they ALL come together, but when sh-t goes down with the black community at least 60 to 65 percent of us are united, while the rest just don't really give a f-ck!

Honestly it would of been great if that was the case. In reality, 60-65 percent cares, while the 40-35 percentage work against the 60-65%...
  • eastbay510
    eastbay510 Members Posts: 2,063 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    These kids and grandkids of some of our legends continue to be disappointments
  • BangEm_Bart
    BangEm_Bart Members Posts: 9,503 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Y'all misinterpreting her pov. I don't agree nor disagree because she has some good points and some bad points. She should've left the last point out and interpreted it a different way by saying we should all come together of all races and find a neutral ground to handle this issue on hand without using social media to convey our point.
  • mryounggun
    mryounggun Members Posts: 13,451 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Y'all misinterpreting her pov. I don't agree nor disagree because she has some good points and some bad points. She should've left the last point out and interpreted it a different way by saying we should all come together of all races and find a neutral ground to handle this issue on hand without using social media to convey our point.

I have one question...

WHY?
  • D0wn
    D0wn Members Posts: 10,818 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2016
    Options
    Blk ppl need to learn to say... "no comment".

I understand not wanting to ? your money up, but the last thing u wanna do is alienate your self from your own ppl.
    Cause regardless of how much money u have, when wht supremacy come for your ass, that money aint gonna protect u.

Look at bill Cosby, that man damn near a billonaire. As soon as ? got hot, and them ? snapped out of the quaaludes, who did he come running back to?
    It wasn't the asians, or the latinos... there was no "we are the world". Pill came running back directly to blk ppl.

All ima say is, support is a two way street...
  • Chi Snow
    Chi Snow Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 28,111 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Her pov isn't hard to misinterpret at all

I'm actually glad she is as honest as she is because most athletes *LeBron James* and ppl with a voice to affect the youth *Drake* tap around the questions and they reasoning for feeling a certain way.

She cares to much about her sponsors and future money making deals, stepping on the toes of her fans who may be offended that she cares about ppl of color, and Blacks need to fix they own communities and then everyone else will just magically start treating them as equal citizens aka what about black crime

What about that did I misinterpret?

• MR.CJ
    Options
    She just saying what most black celebrities want to say
  • MR.CJ
    edited September 2016
    Options
    eastbay510 wrote: »
    I can't find the exact interview or remember the exact quote, maybe somebody can help me out if they know it..

But I remember seeing an interview where Muhammed Ali was talking about all the money he could have made and opportunities he could have had for himself if he didn't wanna speak out on certain things. But instead he said he loves his people more than the money.

So it's crazy to me that that same mans own daughter comes out and does a complete 180 and says some dumb ? like this.

@eastbay510 everybody is different. One of his daughters got married to a white man. And the kid next to her is ali grandson

biaggo-ali-walsh-parents-and-family.jpg