Laila Ali Explains Why She Doesn’t Post About Black Lives Matter On Social Media

Options

Comments

•   Colin$mackabi$h
    Colin$mackabi$h Members Posts: 16,586 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2016
    Options
    She got kids to think about I guess....
  • Peace_79
    Peace_79 Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 8,964 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    zzombie wrote: »
    MOST RICH BLACK PEOPLE are only a generation away from poverty and it is fear of going back to being poor that prevents us from publicly saying certain things and that sad fact is doubly so for those of us with fame

This is pure ether ...mostly because it's true.

Far too often we prioritize fame, riches, and materialism over everything.

Acquiring and maintaining wealth doesn't even make the list.
  • texas409
    texas409 Members Posts: 20,854 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2016
    Options
    Kids should follow their own path but I hate to say it but she followed hers straight to Coonville
  • iron man1
    iron man1 Members Posts: 29,989 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    eastbay510 wrote: »
    These kids and grandkids of some of our legends continue to be disappointments

MLKs kids smh Ali rolling over in his grave
  • iron man1
    iron man1 Members Posts: 29,989 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Everyone ain't built for it

Damn that not even on some militant ? but, on a human level humans who happen to not be pale skinned are being gunned down by employed people with the mantra of "protect and serve" CONSITENTLY. Did we not just have a black man have a gotdamn seizure and end up filled with bullets?? While at the sametime in that same area a white dude holding a gun out threatening people and those employees is alive and chilling.
  • Koltrain
    Koltrain Members Posts: 4,286 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2016
    Options
    I thought she was going somewhere with her statement...cause I don't really do social media, mainly because I'm sick of seeing people post memes and status updates with no solutions or intent behind it. But that all lives matter ? is bull.

It upsets me that these celebs take safe haven in saying "all lives matter". To acknowledge black lives matter puts your career in jeopardy. Acknowledging the mistreatment of your own people can cost you your career.....That's ? up!!! That really tells you everything about race in this country.
  • Brother_Five
    Brother_Five Members Posts: 4,448 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2016
    Options
    its wild how gleeful some of these folks are when accepting money from ppl that hate them...
  • black caesar
    black caesar Members Posts: 12,036 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Damn man. Never expected her to say some ? like this. SMH A lot of scared black and ? are getting aired out. Serena Williams is another one. She had a decade to speak out and never did until 2 days ago.
  • black caesar
    black caesar Members Posts: 12,036 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    D0wn wrote: »
    Blk ppl need to learn to say... "no comment".

I understand not wanting to ? your money up, but the last thing u wanna do is alienate your self from your own ppl.
    Cause regardless of how much money u have, when wht supremacy come for your ass, that money aint gonna protect u.

Look at bill Cosby, that man damn near a billonaire. As soon as ? got hot, and them ? snapped out of the quaaludes, who did he come running back to?
    It wasn't the asians, or the latinos... there was no "we are the world". Pill came running back directly to blk ppl.

All ima say is, support is a two way street...

I feel like this. Once you made a certain amount of money, no need to hold back.
  • rickmogul
    rickmogul Members Posts: 1,961 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    @black caesar ....U right fam. That's that ? u money. I feel u on that. It was too much to type but how much really is enough $ man where u can stand with ya people for once? I think Serena got that " ? U" money that's Y she stated she ain't gonna be silent no more. Good post. Stay up bruh.
  • MarcusGarvey
    MarcusGarvey Members Posts: 4,569 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    iron man1 wrote: »
    Everyone ain't built for it

Damn that not even on some militant ? but, on a human level humans who happen to not be pale skinned are being gunned down by employed people with the mantra of "protect and serve" CONSITENTLY. Did we not just have a black man have a gotdamn seizure and end up filled with bullets?? While at the sametime in that same area a white dude holding a gun out threatening people and those employees is alive and chilling.

You ain't got to convince me.
    If I'm a pro athlete, I buy my crib for cash so I can say whatever the ? I want.
  • NothingButTheTruth
    NothingButTheTruth Members Posts: 10,850 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    if you're afraid of speaking out on social injustice against you're people because you don't want to upset your sponsors, it's time for you to reevaluate your sponsors. not turn your back on your own people

But why are we acting like there is some kind of unwritten rule that people of the same skin tone stand together? When did we have this conversation? Why should we stand together based solely on something so trivial?

Why are we choosing skin tone to filter out who's down and who's not, instead of something like classism or thought process?
  • a.mann
    a.mann Members Posts: 19,746 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Ultimately in the business realm,many and most people don't care whether a person "hates" or "love" them.So longs as the business handled properly$$$

I don't personally care if white people "like" me or not
    But I do care very much how I am treated as a person,which is fairly,equally with respect & dignity.

With that the fact Laila believes speaking out against unfairness, inequality and the utter disrespect toward her people will "offend" her sponsors and "alienate" white fans makes her the worst type of coward and sell-out.Mainly because she admits to being aware of the social inequality and racial injustice and she knows this is legally and morally wrong
  • zzombie
    zzombie Members Posts: 11,280 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    if you're afraid of speaking out on social injustice against you're people because you don't want to upset your sponsors, it's time for you to reevaluate your sponsors. not turn your back on your own people

But why are we acting like there is some kind of unwritten rule that people of the same skin tone stand together? When did we have this conversation? Why should we stand together based solely on something so trivial?

Why are we choosing skin tone to filter out who's down and who's not, instead of something like classism or thought process?

Because for most races/ ethnicities they have the good sense to know that both individual and collective survivability depend on the unity of the group and it doesn't matter what that unity is grounded in. It could be race,religion or nationality or language.
  • Chi Snow
    Chi Snow Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 28,111 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Lol @ least you honest about being a ? ass ? on the internet

Are you this honest about saying ? ppl that look like you irl?
  • D0wn
    D0wn Members Posts: 10,818 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Damn man. Never expected her to say some ? like this. SMH A lot of scared black and ? are getting aired out. Serena Williams is another one. She had a decade to speak out and never did until 2 days ago.

Wtf???
    Serena been speaking out since Trayvon ...
  • Trillfate
    Trillfate Members Posts: 24,008 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    *hits blunts*

Had her dad felt the way she does she may have never been born... he would never been kicked out of boxing and events in his life mightve been different including meeting Lailas mother
  • NothingButTheTruth
    NothingButTheTruth Members Posts: 10,850 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    zzombie wrote: »

Because for most races/ ethnicities they have the good sense to know that both individual and collective survivability depend on the unity of the group and it doesn't matter what that unity is grounded in. It could be race,religion or nationality or language.

Yes, I understand the essence of it, but I'm asking why race over religion, nationality, language, class, personality etc.? Why are we rocking with people just because their skin is a certain tone? That's the one thing that doesn't take any real prerequisites. It seems like a super trivial way to approach life/war in general.
  • qawshun
    qawshun Members Posts: 9,138 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    These mf's need to pick a side you either with us or against us. Smh
  • willhustle
    willhustle Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 6,550 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2016
    Options
    Selling out all for that dollar bill.

She was a hell of a fighter just like her pops but nothing like him politically. *smh*

I really liked her.
  • ineedpussy
    ineedpussy Members Posts: 7,252 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    ? that ? . hell she married and wont even change her last name. so that should tell you that all she cared about was the money. sell out ? ass ? . if she ever come to the ville and i see her im knocking her ? ass out
  • Copper
    Copper Members Posts: 49,532 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I still fail to see how "we can do better" with police brutality