Birth Of The Dragon - A New Bruce Lee Film

Options
Idiopathic Joker
Idiopathic Joker Members, Moderators Posts: 45,691 Regulator
edited September 2016 in Lights, Camera, Action!
This movie looks dope

https://youtu.be/vbNib_NsVRU

Comments

• BangEm_Bart
    BangEm_Bart Members Posts: 9,503 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Uhh..Bruce is Asian not White. I think I'll pass.
  • VulcanRaven
    VulcanRaven Members Posts: 18,859 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Dog bruce is the Asian wearing black lol
  • Idiopathic Joker
    Options

Are you serious right now?
  • Lou Cypher
    Lou Cypher Members Posts: 52,521 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2016
    Options
  • BangEm_Bart
    Options

That ? look white bruh
  • Idiopathic Joker
    Options

That ? look white bruh

His name is Philip Ng. He's from Hong Kong
  • playmaker88
    playmaker88 Members Posts: 67,905 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
  • ShencotheMC
    ShencotheMC Members Posts: 26,051 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Yea saw the trailer for this on the book a few weeks ago. Everybody says this fight either went to a draw or it took too long for Bruce to win or something like that. I used to think Bruce Lee was like fighting ? (he still is) until i heard this story. Either way it's always some old man martial arts master putting cats in check lol
  • CeLLaR-DooR
    CeLLaR-DooR Members Posts: 18,880 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Enter the Dragon: The Bruce Lee Story with that goon Jason Lee I think his name is is CLASSIC.

Wouldn't argue with you if you told me it'd better than any actual Bruce Lee movie.

Will watch
  • BangEm_Bart
    Options

That ? look white bruh

His name is Philip Ng. He's from Hong Kong

Aight I'm convinced, I'll watch
  • deadeye
    deadeye Members Posts: 22,884 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Just watched the trailer.

The movie looks like it's gonna be good, but the dude who's playing Bruce Lee looks white.

Seems like they used a lot of makeup or whatever to make him look Asian.

Either that or he's mixed, but he's not pure Asian.

As good as the movie might be, I might have to miss it just off GP.

I mean, would it have really been that hard to find a real Asian to play the lead role of such an iconic figure as Bruce Lee?

Can't respect it.
  • The Lonious Monk
    The Lonious Monk Members Posts: 26,258 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Lol so ? going to boycott a movie because the Asian actor doesn't look Asian enough.
  • Beta
    Beta Members Posts: 65,596 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2016
    Options
    Not feeling this ? too Americanized
  • Revolver Ocelot
    Revolver Ocelot Members Posts: 3,393 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Beta wrote: »

?

It takes place in San Francisco.
  • deadeye
    deadeye Members Posts: 22,884 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Lol so ? going to boycott a movie because the Asian actor doesn't look Asian enough.

It's all about authenticity for me.

Same reason I haven't seen Noah's Ark and Exodus.
  • reapin505
    reapin505 Members Posts: 4,009 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Will watch off the strength of it being about Bruce Lee but also this.
    Enter the Dragon: The Bruce Lee Story with that goon Jason Lee I think his name is is CLASSIC.

Wouldn't argue with you if you told me it'd better than any actual Bruce Lee movie.

Will watch

• Focal Point
    Focal Point Members Posts: 16,307 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Yea saw the trailer for this on the book a few weeks ago. Everybody says this fight either went to a draw or it took too long for Bruce to win or something like that. I used to think Bruce Lee was like fighting ? (he still is) until i heard this story. Either way it's always some old man martial arts master putting cats in check lol

If I remember right it's the fight that made him go get in shape and become even more deadlier than he was Prior
  • Focal Point
    Focal Point Members Posts: 16,307 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

The actor definitely has Bruce's cockiness down pat though, old interviews show that he was exactly how the actor is playing him
  • Elzo69Renaissance
    Elzo69Renaissance Members Posts: 50,708 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Sounds like Bruce got that work

Lee would later tell Black Belt magazine his encounter with Wong would change his way of thinking forever, evolving from a strict Wing Chun style to his own Jeet Kune Do, which incorporated a variety of techniques. But while he later dismissed his fight “with a kung fu cat” as nothing more than a rabbit chase where his hands swelled from pummeling his foe, other accounts have presented a very different take.

According to writer Rick Wing, who tracked down as many of the surviving 11 spectators as he could—along with Wong himself—the fight was not as one-sided as Lee described it. Lee began by lashing out immediately after a handshake, cutting Wong’s forehead, and then proceeded to launch a series of groin kicks and high-volume punches, most of which Wong absorbed in the chest.

Wong moved laterally, and was not as aggressive as the temperamental Lee; he had told his friends he wouldn’t be using kicks, which he considered his most dangerous weapon, because he didn’t want to permanently injure Lee. He did, however, sport a pair of leather bracelets he wore over his wrists, and one of his strikes caught Lee near his neck, staggering him. Wong followed up with a headlock, but chose not to strike while Lee was doubled over.

After 20 minutes of Lee pressing the action and Wong picking his spots, Wong lost his footing and fell to the ground, where Lee tried to pounce on him. Observers told Wing they feared Lee was getting too heated and stepped in to break up the bout.

Lee later told his wife, Linda, he felt the fight had gone on too long, and that he should’ve been able to dispatch Wong easily. The frustration led to an increased devotion to training. In a few months’ time, his son, Brandon, would be born, and his screen test for a television series would lead to a co-starring stint on The Green Hornet. When he returned to San Francisco for martial arts exhibitions, he referred to Wong as “the runner.”

Though the men had agreed not to discuss the fight, news circulated in Chinese newspapers. The printed version started as gossip fodder, distorted to attribute the reason for the bout as being over a woman—a Chinese actress, Zhang Zhongwen, who had briefly danced the cha-cha with Lee before his infamous demonstration.

It wasn't true, and Lee agreed to be interviewed to correct the story; Wong then tried to refute Lee’s version, which had him winning. The scene was also dramatized in 1993’s Dragon: The Bruce Lee Story, where a stand-in for Wong breaks Lee’s back.

Now in his 70s, Wong still resides in the San Francisco area. He rarely speaks of the Lee bout. When the actor died in 1973, he sent flowers.

Though no one can say for certain, it appears Lee and Wong met just once more after the fight, when Lee came to the café where Wong was a waiter. A relaxed Lee mentioned they were both Chinese, had come from the same martial arts lineage, and had no reason to quarrel.

“Hey, man,” Lee said, “I was just trying to advertise my school.”
  • Beta
    Beta Members Posts: 65,596 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

?

It takes place in San Francisco.

Yeah but ehhhh idk then maybe it's a different reason
  • Splackavelli
    Splackavelli Members Posts: 18,806 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Will watch

what made dragon good was that the actor resembled bruce a little.

this new movie looks cool but it looks kind of sensationalized like its stretched beyond what actually happened dragon was stretched too though bruce didn't injure his back in a martial arts showdown he did that lifting weights.

• The Lonious Monk
    The Lonious Monk Members Posts: 26,258 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Lee would later tell Black Belt magazine his encounter with Wong would change his way of thinking forever, evolving from a strict Wing Chun style to his own Jeet Kune Do, which incorporated a variety of techniques. But while he later dismissed his fight “with a kung fu cat” as nothing more than a rabbit chase where his hands swelled from pummeling his foe, other accounts have presented a very different take.

According to writer Rick Wing, who tracked down as many of the surviving 11 spectators as he could—along with Wong himself—the fight was not as one-sided as Lee described it. Lee began by lashing out immediately after a handshake, cutting Wong’s forehead, and then proceeded to launch a series of groin kicks and high-volume punches, most of which Wong absorbed in the chest.

Wong moved laterally, and was not as aggressive as the temperamental Lee; he had told his friends he wouldn’t be using kicks, which he considered his most dangerous weapon, because he didn’t want to permanently injure Lee. He did, however, sport a pair of leather bracelets he wore over his wrists, and one of his strikes caught Lee near his neck, staggering him. Wong followed up with a headlock, but chose not to strike while Lee was doubled over.

After 20 minutes of Lee pressing the action and Wong picking his spots, Wong lost his footing and fell to the ground, where Lee tried to pounce on him. Observers told Wing they feared Lee was getting too heated and stepped in to break up the bout.

Lee later told his wife, Linda, he felt the fight had gone on too long, and that he should’ve been able to dispatch Wong easily. The frustration led to an increased devotion to training. In a few months’ time, his son, Brandon, would be born, and his screen test for a television series would lead to a co-starring stint on The Green Hornet. When he returned to San Francisco for martial arts exhibitions, he referred to Wong as “the runner.”

Though the men had agreed not to discuss the fight, news circulated in Chinese newspapers. The printed version started as gossip fodder, distorted to attribute the reason for the bout as being over a woman—a Chinese actress, Zhang Zhongwen, who had briefly danced the cha-cha with Lee before his infamous demonstration.

It wasn't true, and Lee agreed to be interviewed to correct the story; Wong then tried to refute Lee’s version, which had him winning. The scene was also dramatized in 1993’s Dragon: The Bruce Lee Story, where a stand-in for Wong breaks Lee’s back.

Now in his 70s, Wong still resides in the San Francisco area. He rarely speaks of the Lee bout. When the actor died in 1973, he sent flowers.

Though no one can say for certain, it appears Lee and Wong met just once more after the fight, when Lee came to the café where Wong was a waiter. A relaxed Lee mentioned they were both Chinese, had come from the same martial arts lineage, and had no reason to quarrel.

How does that sound like "Bruce got that work" to you? Based on what I've seen the consensus is either it was a draw or Bruce edged it out but only after an extremely long time and with Wong limiting himself.
  • Elzo69Renaissance
    Elzo69Renaissance Members Posts: 50,708 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

How does that sound like "Bruce got that work" to you? Based on what I've seen the consensus is either it was a draw or Bruce edged it out but only after an extremely long time and with Wong limiting himself.

maybe i chose the wrong words...it seems like had Wong went there to do damage, he d gave Bruce the work
  • VulcanRaven
    VulcanRaven Members Posts: 18,859 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    The actor is 100% Chinese. His family owns a martial arts school in China. Look him up.