What is Harder to Achieve? Humility for the Arrogant or Self Confidence /Love for the Insecure?

Options
Arya Tsaddiq
Arya Tsaddiq Members Posts: 15,334 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited October 2016 in For The Grown & Sexy
The idea for this thread spawns from another thread in the GPS about the Black man questioning whether his white childhood friends were ever really his friends due to the changes in personailty he witnessed while growing up.

I'll start off by saying that thread isn't necessarily one about race, it just happened to be the topic that made me come up with the questions.

When it comes to how we view the world and each other, we are born as a blank slate so to speak. Our experiences, who raise us, are peer groups and environmental factors help mold our personalities and world view as we grow up. And IMO, as children, it is the closest many of us will ever get to "perfection" when it comes mastering the concept of unconditional "love". It isn't until the imperfections of the world begin to influence us while we are young that things have the potential to change for the worse...

Being Black in America means a lot of different things depending on who you ask. But we all deal with ther after effects of this countries brutal treatment of our Ancestors. And it has manifested itself into a lot of self hate for many. A feeling of worthlessness or inferiority. And this all stems for a system of White Supremacy. I've seen @SolemnSauce say that many black people hate themselves subconsciously by the way they take offence to everything. While I get what he is saying when he makes that statement, I also understand why some black folks are always seem to be on guard as well. As lot of us are broken, and are still trying to pick up the pieces. And even after 200+ years, it's still a struggle....

On the flip side, you have White people all over the board. Some will admit to the problems with white supremacy, and others who outright deny it. Then theread are people who KNOW thereally is a problem, but ignore it. Because to challenge it would mean there is a possibility of change for to thier detriment.

There are bother good and bad people in each group. But the ones that "get it" are the ones that could be the catalyst for real advancement. But in order for that to happen, there would need to be honest conversation about the faults and struggles of each group and how to fix it and move on from there.

And thats why i asked the question I did. Which is harder to achieve?

What is Harder to Achieve? Humility for the Arrogant or Self Confidence /Love for the Insecure? 38 votes

Self Confidence /Love for the Insecure
50%
blakfyahkingKaileftcoastkev  Colin$mackabi$hmryounggunSo ILLCapitalBWill MunnyBussy_Getta NothingButTheTruthVader_F_KennedyValentinez A. KaiserCashmoneyDuxInglewood_BMissKKatD. MorganmrtdbLefty_ 19 votes
Humility for the Arrogant
26%
blackrainShuffingtonits....JOHN Bskpjr78TrillfateLUClENAZTGFosheezyzzombieSolemnSauce 10 votes
All Human Faults are Equally Difficult to Overcome
15%
damnkpbigduece69Arya TsaddiqLou CypherTheNeoShellLEMZIMUS_RAMSEY 6 votes
WTF are you talking about bruh?
7%
PiffyHaze32DaysOfInfinitiStomp Johnson 3 votes

Comments

• mohamed
    mohamed Members Posts: 1,299 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Lol at the the last choice
  • Fosheezy
    Fosheezy Members Posts: 3,204 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    arrogance blinds person from their own mistakes and so it take way more to humble them...often something huge
  • blackrain
    blackrain Members, Moderators Posts: 27,269 Regulator
    Options
    Humility...self love can come from growth. Humility for the arrogance usually comes from suffering a significant loss due to said arrogance.
  • CapitalB
    CapitalB Members Posts: 24,556 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    imma go wit self confidence and love..

its hard to explain ..but i have a rebellious spirit..
    and im very stubborn and spiteful.. and this is since youth.. as far back as i can remember.. the only other person i know to share these characteristics is my mother..

but anyways.. it was noted in the OPhow it is for us bein black in this white man's world.. from early on we're told we wouldnt be ? .. well.. my mom was born at a time where bein light skinned in the black community was frowned upon.. her great grandparents were still livin and were born slaves and they treated her like ? cause she was lightskinned wit green eyes.. and when she had me at 15 they told her she wouldnt be ? and neither her son..

she went out to prove everyone wrong she had and gave me that chip on her shoulder.. and til this day she's still burdened by it.. she's gettin better tho..

sayin all that to say she gave me that fight.. growin up i was told i wasn't go be ? cause my mother was 15 and my father was a gangster.. was told id end up dead or in jail.. and when i rebelled against my mother around 15 she started talkin that same ? .. iunno.. somethin within me wont allow me to not be confident in myself and not love myself.. outside of my daughter i love me more then anybody but she's apart of me..

everybody doesnt have that.. and u cant jus give them that all of a sudden.. i grew up around and to this day deal wit broken people i try to build up..

somewhere down the line they started believin what they were bein told and good luck tryin to prove them otherwise.. life would have to be all of a sudden perfect AND STAY PERFECT to correct that mental ? up.. cause at any moment of adversity they will revert..

someone who is arrogant is someone who is ignorant..
    and life has a way of humbling a muthafucka.. they life will have to be perfect AND REMAIN perfect for them to stay arrogant.. and we all know that isnt life.. one slip up and they will see what the other side is and cone to grips wit reality..
  • NothingButTheTruth
    NothingButTheTruth Members Posts: 10,850 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2016
    Options
    This was an easy one for me. An arrogant person will get humbled quickly once he/she loses a few times. In fact, I don't know one arrogant person that wasn't humbled eventually.

Self confidence is extremely hard to achieve if you're insecure, as you've already laid down a foundation based on convictions. Insecurity is of the essence of the person experiencing it. In order to achieve self confidence, they would have to self reflect and challenge their own ideology through the power of will and very strong outside influences.

I try to find a remedy for insecurity every time I'm around our/black children. I've seen little girls refer to their natural look as ugly, while the doll that looks nothing like them is pretty. They also do this when watching cartoons or those little Disney shows. This was alarming to me, as the girls I'm referring to were only like 3 or 4 years old, which leads me to believe the TV plays a HUGE part in this whole thing.

SN: I know when I have kids, that TV ? has to go, unless I'm sitting there with them explaining/countering the subliminal messages these programs are sending to our children.
  • a.mann
    a.mann Members Posts: 19,746 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Is this topic concerning social racial relations???
  • Arya Tsaddiq
    Options
    @a.mann

Lol. That's why that last option was there.

I'm multitasking and tried my best to make the premise coherent and concise. But...it was almost impossible. Choose that fourth option lol
  • a.mann
    Options
    Man you all over got-damn place....lol

• Bussy_Getta
    Bussy_Getta Members Posts: 37,679 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Mannnnnn I've seen how hard it is for ? to really love themselves and stop being insecure. ? annoying.
  • CapitalB
    Options
    This was an easy one for me. An arrogant person will get humbled quickly once he/she loses a few times. In fact, I don't know one arrogant person that wasn't humbled eventually.

Self confidence is extremely hard to achieve if you're insecure, as you've already laid down a foundation based on convictions. Insecurity is of the essence of the person experiencing it. In order to achieve self confidence, you would have to self reflect and challenge your own ideology through the power of will and very strong outside influences.

I try to find a remedy for insecurity every time I'm around our children. I've seen little girls refer to their natural look as ugly, while the doll that looks nothing like them is pretty. They also do this when watching cartoons or those little Disney shows. This was alarming to me, as the girls I'm referring to were only like 3 or 4 years old, which leads me to believe the TV plays a HUGE part in this whole thing.

SN: I know when I have kids, that TV ? has to go, unless I'm sitting there with them explaining/countering the subliminal messages these programs are sending to our children.

im like that wit my daughter now..
    i watch the shows wit her and look for signs.. but none yet.. but then again she's only 2..

but she's surrounded by love.. especially from me and her mother.. she has an older brother and my couson i adopted that pretty much pamper her..

my mom and step pops sister and brother spoils her and my whole family adored her..

self confidence is the least of my worries..
    she's definitely her father's child in that department..

but its the outside world that makes me uncomfortable..
    cause everyone loves her.. ? is weird.. people WIT KIDS will come up to us tellin us how beautiful our daughter is.. her teachers show her favortism.. old people stop her every damn where.. people at the cash register wanna hold her and let her help ring up whatever we buyin.. and she eats that ? up..

im tryin to keep her ass balanced! lol & smmfh
    im the only voice of reasonning she has.. the only sense of reality. smh

• Bussy_Getta
    Bussy_Getta Members Posts: 37,679 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Self confidence is extremely hard to achieve if you're insecure, as you've already laid down a foundation based on convictions. Insecurity is of the essence of the person experiencing it. In order to achieve self confidence, you would have to self reflect and challenge your own ideology through the power of will and very strong outside influences.

I try to find a remedy for insecurity every time I'm around our children. I've seen little girls refer to their natural look as ugly, while the doll that looks nothing like them is pretty. They also do this when watching cartoons or those little Disney shows. This was alarming to me, as the girls I'm referring to were only like 3 or 4 years old, which leads me to believe the TV plays a HUGE part in this whole thing.

i watch the shows wit her and look for signs.. but none yet.. but then again she's only 2..

but she's surrounded by love.. especially from me and her mother.. she has an older brother and my couson i adopted that pretty much pamper her..

my mom and step pops sister and brother spoils her and my whole family adored her..

cause everyone loves her.. ? is weird.. people WIT KIDS will come up to us tellin us how beautiful our daughter is.. her teachers show her favortism.. old people stop her every damn where.. people at the cash register wanna hold her and let her help ring up whatever we buyin.. and she eats that ? up..

Aye you need another gf?? Askin for a friend.
  • CapitalB
    Options

Aye you need another gf?? Askin for a friend.

long as she's atteactive and knows what comes wit ? wit a ? like me..

i have a few opennings before winter hits! hahahaha

i pay finders fees as well! :wink:
  • Kat
    Kat Members Posts: 50,667 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I think life usually has a way of humbling the arrogant.

• NothingButTheTruth
    NothingButTheTruth Members Posts: 10,850 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Sounds like you're going to have a fight on your hands when she becomes a teenager with all that attention she's getting lol. Time to start working on your stern voice and "what ever daddy says goes" tone.

Regarding the TV ? , my only fear is I'll miss the subliminal messages, because I know we/black men watched the same ? , but was never really affected by it.
  • Arya Tsaddiq
    Options

This is what i was trying to get to without writing a book in the OP lol....

@a.mann

If you love yourself unconditionally, you naturally will have more compassion for others and their struggles because of your personal journey to reach that point of self peace.

And all arrogance is is really misguided self confidence. Humility is being brought back down to earth. If white people were willing to humble themselves and admit to the privilege they are afforded just by being born white, they me be able to develop more compassion for others. You can be proud of who you are and we're you come from without hating others, and that goes for all ethnicities.

It's about balance man.
  • CapitalB
    Options

Sounds like you're going to have a fight on your hands when she becomes a teenager with all that attention she's getting lol. Time to start working on your stern voice and "what ever daddy says goes" tone.

Regarding the TV ? , my only fear is I'll miss the subliminal messages, because I know we/black men watched the same ? , but was never really affected by it.

mannnnn i already got that voice. hahaha
    i done ? her up on a few occassions.. ? now all i gotta do is give her a look. lol

she hardheaded like me so i knew i had to get to her early. lol

as far as the tv i hate it..
    i dont watch tv.. i watch movies and documentaries all day tho.. oh.. and Game of Thrones! lol

but i use to.. ALOT.. and i know its affects.. so i kinda know what to look for wit the propoganda and cmmercialization ? ..

we dont have cable in my house.. everything we have to stream.. so i pretty much get to pick and choose what i want her to watch.. but again.. she's only 2 amd this my first go at this full on parenting ? .. i know it can seem easy and i got everything under control one day and the next can be like "wtf!!?" lol

so im jus takin it one day at a time and more importantly then watchin the tv.. i for the most part watch her..
  • D. Morgan
    D. Morgan Members Posts: 11,662 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Posting just so yall can see my vote
  • CapitalB
    Options

@a.mann

If you love yourself unconditionally, you naturally will have more compassion for others and their struggles because of your personal journey to reach that point of self peace.

And all arrogance is is really misguided self confidence. Humility is being brought back down to earth. If white people were willing to humble themselves and admit to the privilege they are afforded just by being born white, they me be able to develop more compassion for others. You can be proud of who you are and we're you come from without hating others, and that goes for all ethnicities.

It's about balance man.

thats some real ? right there..
    u pretty much jus described me to a t..

and dont worry about a.mann..

he the only ? in here that didnt get what u were sayin..
    he priviledged too.. he from the army..

that and i swear he's a ? agent..
    he's here to cause confusion. lol & smmfh
  • CapitalB
    Options
    D. Morgan wrote: »

lol we see it when we cast ours..

FIRE AND BLOOD ? !
  • AZTG
    AZTG Members Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    This is just me talking about my point of view. Im so ? arrogant man. I have to stop myself from thinking im ? a lot.

Its gotte worse as ive found success. I chalk a lot of it too luck. Over the past few years everything I did I was successful at. Whatever my plan is, it works and I keep becoming more and more successful. A lot of it I chalk up to luck. I really am a lucky person.

But then I start feeling like ? is on my side. I start feeling like the universe loves me thats why im so lucky.

And, people close to me all see the arrogance, but thats the arrogance I cant hide. Inside I feel like im king.

Smh.
  • CapitalB
    Options
    AZTG wrote: »
    This is just me talking about my point of view. Im so ? arrogant man. I have to stop myself from thinking im ? a lot.

Its gotte worse as ive found success. I chalk a lot of it too luck. Over the past few years everything I did I was successful at. Whatever my plan is, it works and I keep becoming more and more successful. A lot of it I chalk up to luck. I really am a lucky person.

But then I start feeling like ? is on my side. I start feeling like the universe loves me thats why im so lucky.

And, people close to me all see the arrogance, but thats the arrogance I cant hide. Inside I feel like im king.

Smh.

there's no such thing as luck..

there's no such thing as ? either..
  • blackrain
    blackrain Members, Moderators Posts: 27,269 Regulator
    Options
    I think arrogance is more than misguided self confidence. It's also being ignorant to the world around them and it can often take a significant blow to break that. Self love can be taught without having to be knocked on your ass.
  • D. Morgan
    D. Morgan Members Posts: 11,662 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    D. Morgan wrote: »

lol we see it when we cast ours..

FIRE AND BLOOD ? !

I know just couldn't think of anything else to say. Slow ass morning over here on the east coast for me.

LLS I was going to cross out your set's motto but didn't for the simple fact that

WINTER IS HERE ? !!!!!!!!!!!

and I actually like that motto on the low
  • a.mann
    edited October 2016
    Options

@a.mann

It's about balance man.

thats some real ? right there..
    u pretty much jus described me to a t..

and dont worry about a.mann..

he the only ? in here that didnt get what u were sayin..
    he priviledged too.. he from the army..

that and i swear he's a ? agent..
    he's here to cause confusion. lol & smmfh

? , you like a dog with a ,can't let it go...lol

so NOW I'm an agent???
    please....

Anyway the o/p spoke on white people and black people's history.

If you've been paying attention...oh say...for the last 200 plus years

Compassion,understanding, and humility aren't something you'll gon find in abundance in this saga

White people's arrogance and complete lack of humility is why race relations struggle to move forward