What is Harder to Achieve? Humility for the Arrogant or Self Confidence /Love for the Insecure?

13»

Comments

• 2stepz_ahead
    2stepz_ahead Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 32,324 ✭✭✭✭✭
    this site acting wierd
  • Lefty_
    Lefty_ Members, Writer Posts: 3,506 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Self Confidence /Love for the Insecure
    Life will humble a ? quick.
  • Lefty_
    Lefty_ Members, Writer Posts: 3,506 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Gaining self confidence is a process, you can't just "get it". Even when it's spelled out for you, someone in a bad place will talk themselves out of positivity.

Life is a series of ebbs and flows, ups and downs, and nobody in the world is immune to it. But if you don't take heed to the lessons life teach, the fall from the "top" will be much harder on you.

I could always be better, but I know i'm aight, no matter what, count your blessings. Self confidence ain't as instantaneous as a what a life lesson can bring.
  •   Colin$mackabi$h
    Colin$mackabi$h Members Posts: 16,586 ✭✭✭✭✭
    With clarity that too much of something is just too much.
  • Shuffington
    Shuffington Members Posts: 3,775 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Humility for the Arrogant
    Im of the thinking that trying to humble an arrogant person is much harder only because most of the extremely arrogant people I've met have reached a point of no return. They live in a bubble constantly feeding themselves a bloated life perspective. Life altering situations are the only remedy imo.
  • 32DaysOfInfiniti
    32DaysOfInfiniti Members Posts: 4,152 ✭✭✭✭✭
    WTF are you talking about bruh?
    Some people are arrogantly insecure, and many times humble people are ? on the arrogant and neutralized to the public. You honestly can't be arrogant without a little insecurity though, its a certain level of self hate that makes you have to act like you are confident instead of just being it.

And on the race thing, i'd say white people up hold white supremacy because of their insecurity, not because they are arrogant. This country has never been confident in admitting that black people are systematically disadvantaged, just arrogant in their lack of understanding of obvious issues. Their insecurity breeds ours, if they were confident in there own history they wouldn't have been so frightened of ours erasing it from time.

I honestly think insecurity breeds arrogance because of the natural tendency to self preserve, that's why its hard for me to understand what you are really getting at here. It sounds deep, but solving one or the other wouldnt necessarily help anything and your third option is a bail out. I see very little correlation between what you wrote and your poll options...
  • jono
    jono Members Posts: 30,280 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Some people are arrogantly insecure, and many times humble people are ? on the arrogant and neutralized to the public. You honestly can't be arrogant without a little insecurity though, its a certain level of self hate that makes you have to act like you are confident instead of just being it.

And on the race thing, i'd say white people up hold white supremacy because of their insecurity, not because they are arrogant. This country has never been confident in admitting that black people are systematically disadvantaged, just arrogant in their lack of understanding of obvious issues. Their insecurity breeds ours, if they were confident in there own history they wouldn't have been so frightened of ours erasing it from time.

I honestly think insecurity breeds arrogance because of the natural tendency to self preserve, that's why its hard for me to understand what you are really getting at here. It sounds deep, but solving one or the other wouldnt necessarily help anything and your third option is a bail out. I see very little correlation between what you wrote and your poll options...

White suprmacy was born from white insecurity no doubt but today? Nah. Whites often come off racist even when they trying to be "nice" (like that teacher from Everybody Hates Chris)
  • SolemnSauce
    SolemnSauce Members Posts: 15,860 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2016
    The great thing about all of this is, we are all flawed. Every single one of us doubts ourselves at some time, feels like we are that much better than somone else. Feel humbled and emphatic about things. We are all insecure about something. Its part of bein human, some people can just ignore certain things.

Like if you peep when u were kids and ya moms came and in the room and talked to u and ur sibling while yall were watchin cartoons. You heard everyword and ur sibling aint heard ? . For better or worse, you both have an advantage from that same situations.

Your sibling might not be as fearful of the consequences of upseting ur mother cause he didnt hear how serious she was. So hes not stressed out. You know exactly what she wants, so tho ur stressed out. You will most likely not face the same negative consequences as him.

Just gotta look at the whole pic and see failure literally is never an option. Like dude said in independence day 2. It aint crashing, its a controlled fall.
  • Inglewood_B
    Inglewood_B Members Posts: 12,246 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Arrogant ? get knocked down daily
  • Arya Tsaddiq
    Arya Tsaddiq Members Posts: 15,334 ✭✭✭✭✭
    All Human Faults are Equally Difficult to Overcome

I really was just asking a question. I even said in the OP that this doesn't have to be about race. I just used it to make a point about the topic and evoke discussion . I wasn't making a correlation between the options either.
  • SolemnSauce
    SolemnSauce Members Posts: 15,860 ✭✭✭✭✭
    lol..? everything in the GnS is about race
  • Arya Tsaddiq
    Arya Tsaddiq Members Posts: 15,334 ✭✭✭✭✭
    All Human Faults are Equally Difficult to Overcome
    lol..? everything in the GnS is about race

Lol...

Im saying tho...I said that in the OP!
  • playmaker88
    playmaker88 Members Posts: 67,905 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Id say Self Confidence..

because one can be humbled very quickly its easier to destroy than it is to build.
  • Kai
    Kai Members, Moderators Posts: 704 Regulator
    Like others have said, life will humble you real quick, but self love and self confidence seems to be so out of reach for some people.

From my pov when it comes to women for example, I find that so many of them get caught in the ray race of comparing themselves to other women as fast as appearance goes and never feel like they measure up

I think a lot of that comes from the prevalent message that as a female your looks are everything and how pretty girls seem to be treated better in every form of life. I can see how that can dampen a woman's self confidence especially if she feels like she doesn't measure up in comparison to conventional standards of beauty

But I think the problem for women especially is that they put all their feelings of self worth into their looks and can't seem to find confidence in other things like their intelligence or personality.

Also if their isn't true confidence in oneself, it's real easy for the outside world to beat down whatever little bit they do have. Like how many women let the men in their life ? with their self-esteem by telling them they're ugly or whatever out of anger

You have to know yourself and your self love has to be unshakable, otherwise it's gonna be decimated by any negativity you face.

That's why a lot of women seem irrationally jealous or insecure, it's because the value they place themselves is shaky and therefore anything that happens in life they turn that inwards. So like if a guy cheats they think it's because they're not pretty enough instead of understanding those are his short comings, not yours

So instead they start being intimidated by other women and have a problem if their man looks at anyone else or is even just polite to another woman or some ?

I'm sure some of you guys have dated women like this, and there is nothing you can do to make her secure, cuz that ? comes from her own issues

Mfs like that need some serious therapy, short of that, I don't know what could change that mentality
  • Will Munny
    Will Munny Members Posts: 30,199 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Pride always comes before the fall.
  • luke1733
    luke1733 Members Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2016
    Humility for the arrogant. That's the basis of suicides. It's hard to fall when you think so highly of yourself and think others care that much about you and then fall to think others don't care about you and that you are everything "most likely in the negative" you thought about those who weren't as naturally great as you were. Now you're the lame. I had a friend who expressed this to me. Literally he said "I've always been the man. I mean I never had to walk in and be ignored by women. Now at 42 women act like they don't see me or like I'm old. I can't just get a job anymore. It's like I don't know how to act being like a regular Joe. What do you do?" Me, kinda being insulted by the regular Joe comment and feeling he was in his ego responded "this is life. Sometimes are good sometimes are bad. I mean now I've been in the opposite position of where women didn't pay me much attention and now that they ain't got good credit, got kids, been ran through by men with no jobs who are still 30 year old thugs and I have what I do I'm starting to look pretty good to them." I told him this is just what life is. It ain't high school no more at this age and now everybody in mid 30's or older is on the wifey kicks or kids and settling down.

Killed himself not long after this conversation. I miss him. It happened back in June. Fuckn hate it.
  • leftcoastkev
    leftcoastkev Members Posts: 6,232 ✭✭✭✭✭
    luke1733 wrote: »
    Humility for the arrogant. That's the basis of suicides. It's hard to fall when you think so highly of yourself and think others care that much about you and then fall to think others don't care about you and that you are everything "most likely in the negative" you thought about those who weren't as naturally great as you were. Now you're the lame. I had a friend who expressed this to me. Literally he said "I've always been the man. I mean I never had to walk in and be ignored by women. Now at 42 women act like they don't see me or like I'm old. I can't just get a job anymore. It's like I don't know how to act being like a regular Joe. What do you do?" Me, kinda being insulted by the regular Joe comment and feeling he was in his ego responded "this is life. Sometimes are good sometimes are bad. I mean now I've been in the opposite position of where women didn't pay me much attention and now that they ain't got good credit, got kids, been ran through by men with no jobs who are still 30 year old thugs and I have what I do I'm starting to look pretty good to them." I told him this is just what life is. It ain't high school no more at this age and now everybody in mid 30's or older is on the wifey kicks or kids and settling down.

Killed himself not long after this conversation. I miss him. It happened back in June. Fuckn hate it.

I'm not meaning to be insensitive but to me his story actually proves the opposite....When he felt his own insecurities and his confidence was low, he didn't have the work capacity to rebuild those things. Life looked too hard so he killed himself.

His humility was easy to achieve. All he did was age and life took care of the rest. After life showed him his destiny, he opted out.
    Sad story, but it takes years of actual work and a series of various successes for insecure people to build self confidence.
  • SOWETO
    SOWETO Members Posts: 1,350 ✭✭✭✭
    in this thread, ive seen ppl choose the option their personalities would have them choose. all human "frailties" are difficult to overcome. yr experiences make you, and sure, ppl change, but a lot of times its an attempt to bury what we think is bad, or what weve been told is bad about ourselves. case in point: someone "acting brand new."
  • luke1733
    luke1733 Members Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2016
    luke1733 wrote: »

I'm not meaning to be insensitive but to me his story actually proves the opposite....When he felt his own insecurities and his confidence was low, he didn't have the work capacity to rebuild those things. Life looked too hard so he killed himself.

His humility was easy to achieve. All he did was age and life took care of the rest. After life showed him his destiny, he opted out.
    Sad story, but it takes years of actual work and a series of various successes for insecure people to build self confidence.
    I've seen plenty of people's self-confidence get raised instantly from things simple as: getting a job, getting a girl, or something as petty as just growing taller. I've also seen confidence get lost in a second by: acne, male patterned baldness, gaining too much weight or someone embarassing someone in front of others.
    Low self-esteem and insecurities can make people do many similar things as arrogance can, a person can use both to build on or let both be their detriment.

I can see the logic, but the point was when a person who is arrogant gets knocked down how do they handle it, basically.
    or
    when a person who is on the opposite end is built up.
    I think aside from how one can interpret it. When an arrogant person gets knocked down and has to live the life of humility he has a very hard time dealing with it because his arrogance has determined he can't or shouldn't live that way.......This for that person is harder than a person who lives a life of humility--being able to in some way find a way to be confident.

Again. There's a reason people in places with no food, no job and very little hope for improving dire circumstances (but very little arrogance) do not have no where near the comparable rate of suicides as people from Japan and America or Western Europe (places known for their egos and arrogance by the world).

With all this said there is also a thing called being CONFIDENT AND HUMBLE along with having insecurities without being arrogant.
  • leftcoastkev
    leftcoastkev Members Posts: 6,232 ✭✭✭✭✭
    ^ I can dig that.
  • LUClEN
    LUClEN Members Posts: 20,559 ✭✭✭✭✭
    As a self-diagnosed narcissist I think anyone who voted self-love is wrong af