Dividend Growth Investing

Options

Comments

• killap
    killap Members Posts: 3,430 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2017
    Options
    Looking ahead, I'm without a dividend the week of August 21 and September 4th :(
  • dwade206
    dwade206 Members Posts: 11,558 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Any thoughts on Amgen?
  • _Jay_
    _Jay_ Members, Administrators Posts: 3,689 My Name Is My Name.
    edited July 2017
    Options
    dwade206 wrote: »
    Any thoughts on Amgen?

they're not a Dividend Champion, and they're in biotech, so I personally wouldn't cop shares MYSELF. I have a thing against most biotech companies on a personal level, and I also try to only cop dividend champions...with that said, there are several positions I've opened that are NOT dividend champions, so I'm not gonna tell u not to cop.

Amgen (AMGN) IS considered to be a Dividend Challenger, due to having been growing their dividends since 2011, which means they're on their way to being a Dividend Champion, and is currently in good company.

I would say do the research. the share price is currently high at the moment at $175.90, but the 52 week range is $133.64-$184.21. if I was interested in the company, that would almost squeak by my requirements as far as being undervalued. I'd prolly wanna hold off until it was closer to the $165-$170 range or lower, in order to offer a greater margin of error, but that's how EYE do things.

per Morningstar.com, their current forward P/E is 13.9 (u want companies that are 19-20 or lower), dividend yield is 2.38, dividend payout ratio is 39.4 (anything lower than 60 is good money, means that the dividend is sustainable for the next few years), ALL good looks when it comes to dividend growth investing. their dividends are paid quarterly.

the company's book price is currently 4.3. I wanna say that's on the high side, but @Sion is a better expert on that than I...their cash flow is lookin good, and their debt is pretty low at the moment as well...

long story short, while I wouldn't cop shares myself, I don't see why one wouldn't add shares of this company to their portfolio. I'd wait for the valuation to drop a little lower, but chea.
  • dwade206
    Options
    Aight cool. Just picked up some this morning
  • _Jay_
    Options
    Anyone interested in initiating/loading up in Starbucks (SBUX), today is the day you've been waiting on.
  • dwade206
    Options
    Why the excitement? Increase in yield?
  • _Jay_
    Options
    Why the excitement? Increase in yield?

a good company's share price was "on sale," that's the best time to get excited.

• dwade206
    Options
    How much capital would it take to build a portfolio that's worth 50k in dividends annually?
  • _Jay_
    Options
    How much capital would it take to build a portfolio that's worth 50k in dividends annually?

not an easy question to answer, due to lots of variables, [such as the yields of the stocks themselves, whether you're investing in ETFs (which have variable dividend payouts), versus companies, who usually raise their dividends in a linear fashion, etc.].

roughly though, for a portfolio to generate 50k in dividends annually, you're lookin at having a portfolio worth around 1.75 million - 2 million.

^not an impossible task, especially if a recession occurs during your wealth accumulation phase, but it will take some time. your savings rate and your window of time are the greatest contributors to reaching that goal.
  • 2stepz_ahead
    2stepz_ahead Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 32,324 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2017
    Options
    Any thoughts on Amgen?

I work with Amgen.

What or how did you get that name?
  • 2stepz_ahead
    Options
    i am honestly looking into changing my budget in the next 2-3 months.

i got alot of ideas from this thread.
  • Qiv_Owan
    Qiv_Owan Members Posts: 4,125 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Any thoughts on Amgen?

I work with Amgen.

U based in Cali?
  • 2stepz_ahead
    Options
    Qiv_Owan wrote: »
    Any thoughts on Amgen?

I work with Amgen.

U based in Cali?

nah...im in swiss...

Amgen is a world wide company.
    Its in rhode island, juncos puerto rico, thousand oaks, was in colorado and seattle. in singapore.

i am very familiar with alot of biotech companies. i work with most of the fortune 100 companies closely.
  • _Jay_
    Options
    I don't have the capital to follow my own advice, but rn is a great time to purchase shares of Lowe's (LOW). due to an earnings miss, their share price is currently down 6%. they're already a Dividends Aristocrat.
  • dwade206
    Options
    Alibaba, though they don't pay a dividend, the return has been nice the past 2 months. Bout to pick up T, Apple, and Coke
  • Go figure
    Go figure Guests, Members, Confirm Email, Writer Posts: 4,662 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    man i've been wanting to get into this but i've been busy trying to learn filing taxes on my own under s corp bc im paying a bookkeeping company 80/mo. i still dont trust myself all the way to go on my own cuz irs is a ? ? .

i was just wondering though how long some of u have been investing, how many companies u have since u started and the amount of dividends u currently receive monthly or yearly.

i wanna get started in this like asap, just need to research and sign up thru some of the brokers u guys mentioned
  • 2stepz_ahead
    Options
    Go figure wrote: »
    man i've been wanting to get into this but i've been busy trying to learn filing taxes on my own under s corp bc im paying a bookkeeping company 80/mo. i still dont trust myself all the way to go on my own cuz irs is a ? ? .

i was just wondering though how long some of u have been investing, how many companies u have since u started and the amount of dividends u currently receive monthly or yearly.

i wanna get started in this like asap, just need to research and sign up thru some of the brokers u guys mentioned

man...I'm trying to do the same...

we need a tax thread.

IRS is mad confusing.across multiple states an too add I have Swiss taxes that are worse...the Dominican ? is the easiest.

taxes are a ? .

just be glad you only paying 80/month an in one country.
  • Go figure
    Options

man...I'm trying to do the same...

we need a tax thread.

IRS is mad confusing.across multiple states an too add I have Swiss taxes that are worse...the Dominican ? is the easiest.

taxes are a ? .

just be glad you only paying 80/month an in one country.

Sheesh i thought i had it bad
  • Go figure
    edited August 2017
    Options
    @_Jay @Sion

Do u think Exxon Mobile (XOM) is a good stock to get into right now? Looks like its sellin low right now and is a dividend champ. What u guys think?

77z34fe3acfk.jpg
  • dwade206
    Options
    @_Jay @Sion

Do u think Exxon Mobile (XOM) is a good stock to get into right now? Looks like its sellin low right now and is a dividend champ. What u guys think?

77z34fe3acfk.jpg

Not sure but I think I saw this pick on dailytraderalert. I'm probably going to pick up some shares within a few months. Should be a solid investment.
  • Go figure
    Options
    @_Jay @Sion

77z34fe3acfk.jpg

Not sure but I think I saw this pick on dailytraderalert. I'm probably going to pick up some shares within a few months. Should be a solid investment.

I just read an article saying it could drop as low as 50 unless oil prices go up so im definitely gonna sit on this and wait for now
  • Go figure
    Options
    thinking about buying into target (tgt), altria (mo), costco (cost) or exxon mobile (xom) tomorrow. if i get costco tho that will probly be the only stock i buy bc its $154/share but they are all for the low at the moment and pay quarterly dividends. Right now I only have general electric, twitter and Kingstone (insurance co) but thinking about selling them.

I'm literally just starting (this week) and using the robinhood app and Ally invest.
  • _Jay_
    Options
    @_Jay @Sion

77z34fe3acfk.jpg

definitely.
    thinking about buying into target (tgt), altria (mo), costco (cost) or exxon mobile (xom) tomorrow. if i get costco tho that will probly be the only stock i buy bc its $154/share but they are all for the low at the moment and pay quarterly dividends. Right now I only have general electric, twitter and Kingstone (insurance co) but thinking about selling them.

I'm literally just starting (this week) and using the robinhood app and Ally invest.

all good companies for dividend growth, try to cop your shares at low valuations.
  • Go figure
    Options
    ? every stock did horrible today
  • Go figure
    Options
    Ok this might be a dumb question but im supposed to get a couple dividend payouts (not much at all) but how are they distributed??