Dividend Growth Investing

Comments

• dwade206
    dwade206 Members Posts: 11,558 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Go figure wrote: »
    Ok this might be a dumb question but im supposed to get a couple dividend payouts (not much at all) but how are they distributed??

Check your net cash balance
  • Go figure
    Go figure Guests, Members, Confirm Email, Writer Posts: 4,662 ✭✭✭✭✭
    dwade206 wrote: »
    Go figure wrote: »
    Ok this might be a dumb question but im supposed to get a couple dividend payouts (not much at all) but how are they distributed??

Check your net cash balance

does it just get dumped into that balance without notification or update? this is what i see when i log in:
    iga0n4vuw46u.png
    hdigjrh1jbs3.png

Now i know my holdings/dividend payout is small enough to barely notice a diff but i figure it would let me know how much regardless as i begin to grow my portfolio. And considering I use robinhood app wayyy more bc of no commission fees itll be a lot of work to have to keep up with how much i received and when.

Ford paid on 9/1 and Target dividend payout date is 9/10 which im assuming changes to today since its a business day. Im just wondering whether or not i get specific info regarding my dividends in my portfolio or if im just totally doing something wrong altogether.
  • Go figure
    In the robinhood app it shows up clearly in History from the Main menu
    477bv2fq1ci1.jpg

When i click the stock it tells me dividend date and exact payout amount.

Cant find that on the Ally broker site
  • Go figure
    edited September 2017
    Some stocks i think might be worth buying now for dividend growth...Brinker (EAT) is Chili's parent company...btw havent checked dividend history yet
    vn292ek7ef3c.jpg
    n5pl6e426313.jpg
    xzxiaqdcjo2d.jpg
    in7o09bg1uue.jpg
  • _Jay_
    _Jay_ Members, Administrators Posts: 3,689 My Name Is My Name.
    edited September 2017
    In your Ally account, all of your dividends are dispersed in cash.

to access your dividends from a desktop/laptop (in an Ally brokerage account), sign in and go to your My Accounts page. from there, look for Activity, which should be directly under Quotes & Research.

once you're on the Activity page, change Range to "Year To Date," and in the Show box, enter "Dividends." voila.

when u receive Dividends, they always go straight to cash. in an Ally account, they typically show up around 4 am the day after their dispersal (for example, the dividend date is 09/13, they'll show up around 4 am on 09/14).

if u did not purchase the shares before the Ex-dividend date, u won't receive the dividends until the following dispersal date
    (for example, if the Ex-dividend date is 09/13 and one purchases the shares anytime on 09/13 or afterward, they have to wait until the next declaration date to get dividends).
  • Go figure
    Perfect bro thanks
  • King Erauno
    King Erauno Members Posts: 6,754 ✭✭✭✭✭
    _Jay wrote: »
    the more companies I buy, the more dividends I get

the more dividends I make, the more companies I can buy

continually add capital

at some point, there's a crossover, and your dividends alone can buy more companies. a little further and your dividend income will make enough to cover your living expenses. at that point, you're financially free. omw

thats where im trying to get to. props
  • dwade206
    edited October 2017
    What are y'all thoughts; DRIP or let the dividend payments just stack up on your cash balance? This was probably asked before but I'm asking again.
  • _Jay_
    What are y'all thoughts; DRIP or let the dividend payments just stack up on your cash balance? This was probably asked before but I'm asking again.

I don't deal with DRIP payments, I prefer to let the dividends stack up and deploy them myself...I'll give an example.

if u have a share that's currently at a high valuation, buying more of that stock results in less of a buffer. u wanna cop shares when the stock is undervalued, but if u use DRIP only, u have no say in the matter.

if u deploy the dividends yourself (let them stack up, then cop shares in whatever u want, whenever u want), then u can purchase shares of ANY stock, whenever the valuation is at a good point.

for example, let's say we're talmbout Disney (DIS). it's currently slightly undervalued, at $99.86. for the sake of the example, let's say the share price jumps tomorrow, to $130, then a day later, drops back down to $100.

would u rather be forced to purchase shares of DIS at $130 (with DRIP), or would u rather spend your dividends when u wanted to, and just casually wait until the price went back down again (without DRIP)?

^^that's the simplified version, but it's really that easy...
  • 2stepz_ahead
    2stepz_ahead Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 32,324 ✭✭✭✭✭
    i love coming into this thread.

people teaching, people learning, people asking questions and no one being a smart ass.

that is whats up.
  • King Erauno
    King Erauno Members Posts: 6,754 ✭✭✭✭✭
    i love coming into this thread.

people teaching, people learning, people asking questions and no one being a smart ass.

that is whats up.

thats the only way we'll get ahead in the black/brown community
  • Go figure
    Whats the highest paying dividend u guys have?

Mine is Altria (MO) at 66 cents/share and Target (TGT) at 60 cents.

Looking for some more with higher payouts cuz these 8 cent ? aint doin it
  • dwade206
    Amgen. Dollar plus, and I picked it up in the 176 range. Check the price now
  • Go figure

Its at 186 now if it comes down some ima buy some of that
  • _Jay_
    edited October 2017
    Apple AAPL (.63)
    Disney DIS (.78, but only twice a year)
    Hershey HSY (.66)
    Target TGT (.62)
    S&P 500 etf VOO (1.18)
    Realty Income reit O (.212 every month, quarterly that's .64)
  • _Jay_
    ETF dividends are lumpy, they fluctuate quarter to quarter
  • 2stepz_ahead

amgen took enbrel back so it will make a few dollars for a bit. they got other new ? comeing down the pipeline aswell
  • dwade206
    _Jay wrote: »
    Apple AAPL (.63)
    Disney DIS (.78, but only twice a year)
    Hershey HSY (.66)
    Target TGT (.62)
    S&P 500 etf VOO (1.18)
    Realty Income reit O (.212 every month, quarterly that's .64)

GMC, PFE, and KO also pay decent dividends
  • 2stepz_ahead
    yall should try out personal capital...its an app and pc software
  • _Jay_
    yall should try out personal capital...its an app and pc software

I've seen a lot mentioned about PC, as well as about mint.com (which helps with budgets, not really related, but I'm always hearing about one or the other). at one time, I was gonna download mint, but never did. not really interested in Personal Capital at the moment, it looks dope, but I actively manage my own stocks (in a passive manner, Team Buy & Hold), so I think it would feel like a step backward...that's just my opinion tho, and it may change in the future.

• _Jay_
    edited October 2017
    good time to rack up on Disney (DIS), General Mills (GIS), and/or Walgreens (WBA). all good companies that ain't goin nowhere, are near/at lows, and pay good size dividends.
  • dwade206
    You sure about that? I heard Walgreens is taking a beating because of recent Amazon pharma acquisitions.
  • _Jay_
    edited October 2017
    You sure about that? I heard Walgreens is taking a beating because of recent Amazon pharma acquisitions.

they've raised their dividends every year for the past 42 years. their dividend payout ratio (which would be considered high at 60%), is currently sitting at 37.9%, which means they can easily raise their dividend for the next few years.

with that said, even if Amazon was to start offering pharma services overnight, it would still be at least years before they impacted Walgreens' bottom line, if they actually do so...during which u can be profiting off of their dividends.

Edit: 42 years, my bad
  • dwade206
    AT&T is suffering right now because more people prefer streaming over television. The dividend payout is still respectable but there’s was a 6% drop in price today. Any thoughts?
  • 2stepz_ahead
    a dispute over stock earnings.....

lmao

why cant we have more like this?

it helps everyone make money and keeps people sharp