Shaquille O’Neal Says “Showing Respect” Will Stop A Cop From Shooting You...

Options

Comments

• mrtdb
    mrtdb Members Posts: 2,080 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I'm sure it had nothing to do with that fact that he's on tv...is pretty much known internationally...and is rich. I'm sure none of that national presence he demands plays a factor in it. He's right...it's probably just his kindness...
  • mrtdb
    Options
    But yeah...I don't give a ? about anything black celebrities say now. They've either been wealthy too long or sold out. You look at the Los Angeles Clippers situation a couple years ago...all the ballers were surprised as hell...thought they were too rich for that level of discrimination. Part of me...honestly believes these celebrities truly believe the things they say. That they have honestly been brainwashed and conditioned to believe that skin color plays no role in your opportunities and chances of success...all the while receiving this knowledge from the white people they are making richer through their own effort. Never once questioning the fact that they never seem to have anyone black directly above them profiting.

J. Cole once said "Heavy heart...as I sit in this range. Counting thousands out...am I about money or about change?" Fact of the matter is that we don't have the leaders we had previously...the people making it to the top are about money..not change.
  • mrtdb
    Options
    My only gripe is that as an adult, I can decipher through this ? ...children? Young, black children need to know that there's still improvement that needs to be made. What these athletes are doing as role models...is potentially damaging the youth...allowing the youth to believe everything is ok in these regards...and as a result the improvements we want to see in society will be stagnated because young children who look up to Cam, or Wayne, or Shaq...will honestly believe race has nothing to do with the fact that they didn't get the job offer they were overqualified for...or they got pulled over going 62 in a 60 when all the other cars we moving way faster...

But...I got ? to do today...so imma digress from this ?
  • Breezy_Kilroy
    Breezy_Kilroy Members Posts: 10,500 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    MazterChef wrote: »
    This is how we used to dressed every single day.

harlem%20fashion%20men_860.jpg

My granddad didn't even own a pair of jeans. If they weren't slacks he wasn't wearing them.

That "if you just pull your pants up and show some respect" line is ? .

are you comparing 1960s america to 2016 america
    GTFOH

You're smarter than this, I truly believe that.
    Try again.
  • Copper
    Copper Members Posts: 49,532 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Koltrain wrote: »
    ghostdog56 wrote: »
    jwxmxbx1kpz0.gif

THIS NEVER GETS OLD

Your welcome
  • CapitalB
    CapitalB Members Posts: 24,556 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Copper wrote: »
    Being disrespectful/respectful shouldn't be the catalyst for a deadly/safe interaction with cops

shouldnt..
    but thats the world we live in..

sad but true.
  • Guy Gardner
    Guy Gardner Members Posts: 306 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    as big as shaq is, if that ? even sneezed around a cop he'd be dead

only thing that's kept him alive this long is basketball.....

you never see ? that big in the hood.....somebody always put a pullet in them
  • dwade206
    dwade206 Members Posts: 11,558 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    "Kobe snitched"

On who?
    A cop?

Bars!
  • huey
    huey Members Posts: 11,743 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Being disrespectful/respectful shouldn't be the catalyst for a deadly/safe interaction with cops

right, so if i decide to be disrespectul to a policeman I deserve to be shot?
  • Brian B.
    Brian B. Members Posts: 6,717 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    kzzl wrote: »
    Folks like Shaq don't realize that police culture harbors a vendetta towards blacks, especially black males. Being respectful isn't just about principle for us, it's life and death. We're victims of attitude arrest and what they call NHIs"(non-humans involved). Being nice ain't gonna solve ? if the badge is allowed to ? blacks without fear of punishment.

Lol oh, they realize

but they also realize the endorsements & sponsors don't want them makin waves rockin the boat
  • 7figz
    7figz Members Posts: 15,294 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    There was a time, on here, where some MFs were sayin' the same ? .
  • b'mer...
    b'mer... Members Posts: 1,119 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Lil wayne azz nicca!!!
  • Lefty_
    Lefty_ Members, Writer Posts: 3,506 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Gettin pulled over by the police as a black man in America is a dangerous situation no matter your demeanor. If you yield to an officer who is seeking to wrong you, you lose money, freedom, or both. If you challenge said officer in violating your rights you may lose more money, and more time or worse, your life.

The MO of any traffic stop is to get out of there alive, and with your freedom. They're scared to death of you and hate you as it is, that's a terrible combination. Do everything you can to keep them calm. You don't know how they'll react under the pressure of you being upset, If that means you keeping calm, and being respectful, you don't hurt your chances. But even those situations can go super left, super fast.
  • thegreatunknown
    thegreatunknown Members Posts: 1,474 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Almost as bad as Stephen A. Smith's comment about wearing suits will prevent getting shot by cops. Respectability politics won't stop you from getting shot..
  • deadeye
    deadeye Members Posts: 22,884 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    7figz wrote: »
    There was a time, on here, where some MFs were sayin' the same ? .

That was probably before there were multiple videos that contradicted that mentality..
  • LcnsdbyROYALTY
    LcnsdbyROYALTY Members Posts: 13,763 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    MazterChef wrote: »
    This is how we used to dressed every single day.

harlem%20fashion%20men_860.jpg

My granddad didn't even own a pair of jeans. If they weren't slacks he wasn't wearing them.

That "if you just pull your pants up and show some respect" line is ? .

are you comparing 1960s america to 2016 america
    GTFOH

You're smarter than this, I truly believe that.
    Try again.

Bruh, that ? is a Drake stan. You know he's not.
  • Stomp Johnson
    Stomp Johnson Members, Writer Posts: 3,623 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I don't givashit about sports. But til this day I still jam "Still Can't Stop The Reign" ft. B.I.G. on a regular.

So disappointin that a ? spittin on it.
  • Trillfate
    Trillfate Members Posts: 24,008 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Lefty_ wrote: »
    Gettin pulled over by the police as a black man in America is a dangerous situation no matter your demeanor. If you yield to an officer who is seeking to wrong you, you lose money, freedom, or both. If you challenge said officer in violating your rights you may lose more money, and more time or worse, your life.

The MO of any traffic stop is to get out of there alive, and with your freedom. They're scared to death of you and hate you as it is, that's a terrible combination. Do everything you can to keep them calm. You don't know how they'll react under the pressure of you being upset, If that means you keeping calm, and being respectful, you don't hurt your chances. But even those situations can go super left, super fast.
    Amazing how you're saying the same thing as Shaq without sounding like a tapdancing ?

9/10 Its not what u say, its how u say it..

Shaq and Barkleys tone is on some non empathetic, condescending victim blaming ?
  • R0mp
    R0mp Members Posts: 4,250 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2016
    Options
    Lefty_ wrote: »

Notice their hands and posture. A shaking, nervously breathing cop with his hand on the butt of his pistol is obviously no good.

Reaching can get you shot, even if you're reaching for something they've asked you to produce.

Some of 'em are just in putrid, foul moods and will treat you like a criminal that's about to commit a violent crime and a second class citizen without rights. In other words, looking for any reason to shoot you into the ground.
  • MR.CJ
    MR.CJ Members Posts: 64,689 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    mryounggun wrote: »
    1. That's not QUITE what the man said. But close enough.

2. We gotta stop putting ANY stock in uninformed comments about race when they come from famous black people who have been rich LONGER than they were poor and have been having their ? kissed by white people longer than they haven't been.

Yep
  • R.D.
    R.D. Members Posts: 20,156 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Shrugs

They say ? like this cause they can get away with it. ? don't respect they self. ? don't want more. Why should Shaq and Wayne and whoever else take a stand for you when you won't. Not even black people fault really. The conditioning and pain is too deep. It is what it is, the fight is over
  • blackamerica
    blackamerica Members Posts: 2,897 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    mryounggun wrote: »
    1. That's not QUITE what the man said. But close enough.

2. We gotta stop putting ANY stock in uninformed comments about race when they come from famous black people who have been rich LONGER than they were poor and have been having their ? kissed by white people longer than they haven't been.
    Being rich is no excuse. These ? know exactly what they're doing. Also, I hate when ppl say "why put stock in what these famous black ppl say"? These celebrities/athletes have the biggest platform. When they speak ppl listen. These type comments literally set us back & slow down what little progress we're making as a race since slavery. We should hold these ? accountable and stop supporting them