Let's say you just became a professional boxer, how would you feel if...

Options
2stepz_ahead
2stepz_ahead Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 32,324 ✭✭✭✭✭
you was cleaning up the amatuers and just turned pro.

you looking for big name fights and big money fights.....

but your manager keeps you fighting bums and nobodys who pose no threat to you.

The big names who want to fight you...your manager says not yet...because we need to get all we can before fighting someone like him.

How would you feel? would you go along with it or would you look at it like he doesnt beleive you can beat the guy or lacks confidence in your abilities at the higher levels.

how would you handle it?

Comments

• Guy Gardner
    Guy Gardner Members Posts: 306 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    too many outside factors to determine.....

age and my personal circle would have a great influence.

If i'm surrounding myself around peers, other pro fighters, if i feel talent wise i'm better than them, then i'm more then likely going to pressure my handlers to move me along quicker...

however, i might be around business minded people who see the importance of building a brand, and that might make more sense to me, if i can get one amount for fighting a tough fight in fighter A, but 3 times as much for fighting easier fighter B, while also looking good, and adding a win to my resume...i'm going to chose fighter B..

but again, that highly depends on who's presenting the information to me, and how much access i have to those things...
  • 5 Grand
    5 Grand Members Posts: 12,869 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    First of all, generally speaking boxers aren't thinkers.

Having said that, I think the best way to proceed with a boxing career is to fight bums to get your win/loss record up. A boxer thats 25-0 can command more than a boxer thats 28-3. In fact, a boxer thats 25-0 can command top dollar. So thats why your handlers have you fighting bums, to get that win/loss record up.
  • D. Morgan
    D. Morgan Members Posts: 11,662 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    5 Grand wrote: »
    First of all, generally speaking boxers aren't thinkers.

Having said that, I think the best way to proceed with a boxing career is to fight bums to get your win/loss record up. A boxer thats 25-0 can command more than a boxer thats 28-3. In fact, a boxer thats 25-0 can command top dollar. So thats why your handlers have you fighting bums, to get that win/loss record up.

Thats not always true. A 28-3 fighter with a better promoter than the 25-0 fighter will get more money because his name might be more recognizable especially considering who those 3 losses may have been against.
  • 2stepz_ahead
    2stepz_ahead Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 32,324 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    pac record vs mayweather record

who was people saying was the better fighter
    who was acting like they was in charge

just saying

then we wanna bash fighters for ducking but we saying its a smart move now..

ok
  • its....JOHN B
    its....JOHN B Members Posts: 19,830 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I'm trusting my promoter because it sounds like he's doing the smart thing as long as he's mapping it out for me so it makes sense and we have a mutual agreement, a promoter wants the big money fights it doesn't sound like he's holding me back for his own personal gain, it sounds like I'm impatient and my competitive nature would get in the way of doing the smart thing and that's build up to that fight get some pro experience take out a few washed up names holding on for dear life, get my record up and get my name bubbling so when that big fight comes around I'll be more ready and there will be more money on the table and more leverage for my promoter to work with
  • rickmogul
    rickmogul Members Posts: 1,961 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2017
    Options
    I wouldn't give a ? ! I know sports folks wanna win and all that yadayada jazz but shiiitttt, I am my Father's child and he'd instruct me to GET THAT ? MONEY BOY! That's just what my pops would say. ? a record and ? , those r set 2 B broken. I can be the catalyst 4 generational wealth for my lineage. Long as I'm healthy, that bread is second. All that ? fixed any ? way. Me and the kids can't eat belts and medals but belts and medals can help us eat. Isn't it ironic, don't U think?