Adolf Trump's Transition Team Confirms Pick of Racist Senator Jeff Sessions for AG Nomination...

Comments

• fortyacres
    fortyacres Members, Moderators Posts: 4,480 Regulator
    Hillary supported criminal justice reform, as did many other democrats and even some Republicans. But now if Sessions is confirmed, it will be dead for at least four years.

Sessions As Attorney General Means Criminal-Justice Reform Is Dead

By Ed Kilgore

For manifold reasons of background and ideology (and maybe some score-settling for the scuttling of his nomination 30 years ago as a federal judge), Jeff Sessions as attorney general is a nightmare come to life for people who care about the enforcement of civil rights and voting rights. As my colleague Eric Levitz explains, Sessions’s entrenched position in the very last ditch of support for the 1980s-style “war on drugs” will create some serious conflicts with states that are rapidly moving toward legalization of marijuana.

There’s one issue, however, where Sessions’s evident lack of sympathy for minority Americans and his passion for the war on drugs comes together in an especially destructive way: criminal-justice reform. As a result, a painfully constructed bipartisan and cross-ideological movement to “de-incarcerate” many people (disproportionately African-American and Latinos, of course) tossed into prisons as a result of the mandatory minimum sentences, which spread like wildfire in the 1980s and 1990s, could soon completely fall apart.

The “criminal-justice reform” effort is a rare and perhaps (in this polarized age, at least) unique example of thinkers and policy makers from very different perspectives coming together over a long period of time and gradually coming near legislative success. Among conservatives, a combination of self-conscious Christian activists promoting the possibility of rehabilitation, fiscal hawks concerned by the vast cost of American prisons, and quasi-libertarians who dislike incarcerating people for their private drug use, made criminal-justice reform not only acceptable but respectable on the right. When arch-conservative Senator Mike Lee, a Utah Republican, and traditional liberal Senator ? Durbin, a Democrat from Illinois, came together to sponsor legislation reforming federal sentencing policies in 2013, it looked like a breakthrough could be possible. After another couple of years absorbed with bringing old-line conservative Judiciary Committee chairmen Republicans Chuck Grassley of Iowa and Bob Goodlatte of Virginia, pay dirt looked near. Figures as wildly diverse as the President of the United States and the Koch Brothers were on record arguing that criminal-justice reform was an urgent national priority.

Then, with the 2016 elections pending, the junior U.S. senator from Alabama began raining on the criminal-justice-reform parade, attacking pending Senate legislation on both traditional war-on-drugs grounds, and the new claim that America was being subsumed in a new “crime wave.” Jeff Sessions’s close friend Donald Trump was soon echoing the claim that violent crime was sweeping the nation (untrue, but also hard to refute in the wake of homicide spikes in many cities), while his Senate wing man Tom Cotton of Arkansas argued the real problem with the criminal-justice system was “under-incarceration.” Revisions to the main Senate bill on sentencing reform to ensure violent offenders did not benefit kept some jittery conservatives onboard — but not Sessions. Partly due to Sessions’s and Cotton’s demagoguing on the issue, Mitch McConnell shelved action on the bill for the year.

And now Jeff Sessions is going to become attorney general, unless his colleagues prevent his confirmation (very unlikely, though the confirmation hearings could be interesting).

You cannot blame the apparent failure of federal-sentencing reform entirely on the reactionary stylings of Sessions and Cotton. There was a simmering dispute just under the surface all along — of particular concern to House Judiciary chair Goodlatte — as to whether sentencing reform should encompass not just nonviolent drug offenders but white-collar defendants convicted without proof of criminal intent (of great interest to business magnates at risk of criminal prosecution for violating federal regulations). Maybe the dream of bipartisan legislation unraveling the mistakes of the 1980s was a fantasy after all.

But with Jeff Sessions — a man who in almost every respect is still living in the 1980s, if not some earlier decades of U.S. and Alabama history — at the top of the law-enforcement machinery of the federal government, criminal-justice reform in Washington (though perhaps not in the states) is probably dead for the foreseeable future. It is unclear if Trump understands appointing Sessions is going to be a real obstacle to his proclaimed goal of winning 95 percent of the African-American vote in 2020. But we all need to understand that Trump’s decision to make Sessions the beneficiary of one of his very first cabinet appointments should be the death knell for any naïve hopes the new administration would create mind-bending bipartisan coalitions. Trump is turning back the clock in a big hurry.

http://nymag.com/daily/intelligencer/2016/11/sessions-as-ag-means-criminal-justice-reform-is-dead.html

but but but Hillary called us superpredators in 1995 , she must be more dangerous cause her racism is is is concealed.
  • Go figure
    Go figure Guests, Members, Confirm Email, Writer Posts: 4,662 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Copper wrote: »
    Lmao Trump and clinton are the same though, right?? Lol "they're one and the same". This is going to be the guy that decides whether or not to prosecute cops killing unarmed blacks. Again, survive the drought. Shout out to Jill Stein and Gary Johnson though

I tried to explain this to ? arguing that.
    It's more about the ripple effects he will have on policies affecting blacks...but ? think going against the grain is cool

So the alternative is to reward a crooked politician by rewarding her with the presidency.

Makes perfect sense *sarcasm.*

Obama resided over 8 years of a 40% black male prison incarceration rate. Crooked Hillary would have continued this "legacy."

I'll take a empty suit in Donald Trump, rather than a corporatist, corrupt, war-hawk any day of the week.

Apparently they only outrage over blatant racism. Oh well
  • NothingButTheTruth
    NothingButTheTruth Members Posts: 10,850 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Lol reading some of y'all comments, I think it's safe to say that you guys don't realize that the US is NOT your country. You are a poorly treated guest, the side ? etc. Black people make up less than 15% of the population, so if 100%/ALL OF US were on the same page, we still couldn't determine who wins without creating an alliance with the "enemy". Hispanics make up more of the population than we do, and people who identify as white are by far the majority, something like 65+%.

They determine the president and any other position of leadership year after year. Obama did NOT get in because black people voted for him, he got in because he was considered the better candidate in the eyes of the country's majority AKA WHITE PEOPLE. Understand that you can front like your actions count, but you're watching from the sidelines when the real game starts.

...I get the impression that most black people actually think they have pull in this country, like actually believe it forreal lol. At first I thought ? were just talking ? , but I'm actually starting to see that you guys are really just that lost. Hopefully this Trump ? brought y'all back to reality, because most of y'all were really moving further and further away from reality. ? was really stuck in the Matrix lol.
  • silverfoxx
    silverfoxx Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 11,704 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Stiff wrote: »
    This must be what the Jews in Germany felt like when ? was first elected.....

I bet back then there were a handful of "woke" Jews sitting up talking 'bout "? just like the rest of them we been through it all..how could it get worse"

Bruh please don't. Let. Up. On these ? . I still couldn't believe that "I'm not voting" thread.

? was embarrassing seeing seing the same people freak out once Trump got elected smh. Y'all keep thinking this ? is all a joke. Got people from Canada more aware of the potential devastation more then us.
  • playmaker88
    playmaker88 Members Posts: 67,905 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Mr.LV
    Mr.LV Members Posts: 14,089 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Lol reading some of y'all comments, I think it's safe to say that you guys don't realize that the US is NOT your country. You are a poorly treated guest, the side ? etc. Black people make up less than 15% of the population, so if 100%/ALL OF US were on the same page, we still couldn't determine who wins without creating an alliance with the "enemy". Hispanics make up more of the population than we do, and people who identify as white are by far the majority, something like 65+%.

They determine the president and any other position of leadership year after year. Obama did NOT get in because black people voted for him, he got in because he was considered the better candidate in the eyes of the country's majority AKA WHITE PEOPLE. Understand that you can front like your actions count, but you're watching from the sidelines when the real game starts.

...I get the impression that most black people actually think they have pull in this country, like actually believe it forreal lol. At first I thought ? were just talking ? , but I'm actually starting to see that you guys are really just that lost. Hopefully this Trump ? brought y'all back to reality, because most of y'all were really moving further and further away from reality. ? was really stuck in the Matrix lol.

That's not entirely true cause in Ohio( Cleveland Cincinatti) and Pennsylvania (Philadelphia) with huge African American population it helped Barack win 2008 and 2012 you can look at the exit polls for 2016 Hillary numbers in comparison some black people voted for 3rd party candidates or Trump or did not vote at all and it hurt Hillary in those pivotal states.
  • NothingButTheTruth
    Mr.LV wrote: »

That's not entirely true cause in Ohio( Cleveland Cincinatti) and Pennsylvania (Philadelphia) with huge African American population it helped Barack win 2008 and 2012 you can look at the exit polls for 2016 Hillary numbers in comparison some black people voted for 3rd party candidates or Trump or did not vote at all and it hurt Hillary in those pivotal states.

Lol I'm talking about determining who wins. Whites determine who win. If they didn't want Obama, he wouldn't have been president. They are the real citizens of this country. They have the power. In the absolute best case scenario, black people are forced to leverage the white vote.
  • manofmorehouse
    manofmorehouse Members Posts: 2,716 ✭✭✭✭✭

Cool. Help us "wake up". This was never our country and we're just guests. So now what?? Continue in this same country under the same conditions right. What's the strategy in a country that isn't ours and we have no say in?? All ? aside, please enlighten if u have any real thoughts on the matter
  • Peace_79
    Peace_79 Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 8,964 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2016

...I get the impression that most black people actually think they have pull in this country,
    like actually believe it forreal lol. At first I thought ? were just talking ? , but I'm actually starting to see that you guys are really just that lost. Hopefully this Trump ? brought y'all back to reality, because most of y'all were really moving further and further away from reality. ? was really stuck in the Matrix lol.

You may want to get your pitch straight with the other woke ? of the IC.

You are defeating your classic argument.

"We have to make them earn our vote"

If we are so small, and our vote doesent matter- why would anyone try to earn it?

• NothingButTheTruth

Cool. Help us "wake up". This was never our country and we're just guests. So now what?? Continue in this same country under the same conditions right. What's the strategy in a country that isn't ours and we have no say in?? All ? aside, please enlighten if u have any real thoughts on the matter

I don't know your circumstances in this country, so I can't tailor a response to you specifically. But the answer isn't in asking someone else to lead, you are the king of your household, so you take the lead and make changes as you see fit and build from the ground up.

I'm sure you understand that the way black people should move behind enemy lines/in this country should be covert and in stealth, so I will never get into real specifics.
  • rapmusic
    rapmusic Members Posts: 4,130 ✭✭✭✭✭
    People done called Trump the new ? and people are like the world is going to end

Meanwhile...
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=KJ7Dg5tnKr0
    Kids out here playing around. This is a weak ass challenge smh
  • blackrain
    blackrain Members, Moderators Posts: 27,269 Regulator

I don't know your circumstances in this country, so I can't tailor a response to you specifically. But the answer isn't in asking someone else to lead, you are the king of your household, so you take the lead and make changes as you see fit and build from the ground up.

I'm sure you understand that the way black people should move behind enemy lines/in this country should be covert and in stealth, so I will never get into real specifics.

In other words...you have no real answer...because according to your own words since black folks have no pull without aligning with the "enemy" then the effort will remain futile
  • NothingButTheTruth
    Peace_79 wrote: »

...I get the impression that most black people actually think they have pull in this country,
    like actually believe it forreal lol. At first I thought ? were just talking ? , but I'm actually starting to see that you guys are really just that lost. Hopefully this Trump ? brought y'all back to reality, because most of y'all were really moving further and further away from reality. ? was really stuck in the Matrix lol.

You may want to get your pitch straight with the other woke ? of the IC.

You are defeating your classic argument.

"We have to make them earn our vote"

If we are so small, and our vote doesent matter- why would anyone try to earn it?

I'm not a woke ? or anything close to it, save that ? ? phrase for the ? that embrace it.

I stand on my own, and have always done so as far as the IC is concerned.
  • NothingButTheTruth
    blackrain wrote: »

In other words...you have no real answer...because according to your own words since black folks have no pull without aligning with the "enemy" then the effort will remain futile

Your thought process is clouded, try expanding your POV outside of this system you've been programmed to work within,

If anything what you should have gotten is, the answer is different for different people, based on their status in this country.
  • JJ_Evans
    JJ_Evans Members Posts: 1,910 ✭✭✭✭✭
    ghostdog56 wrote: »
    Where are all you ? that were screaming Obama is the president of all america for the last eight years? Trump is pushing a white agenda with zero ? given but Obama couldn't push a black one? Y'all are getting your ? wake up call, it seems like only black people push this we all in this together ? .

So don't cry now you had eight years to get him to pass bills that would benefit black people but as usual you went right to the back of the bus and let "all of America" (which apparently doesn't include black people) get the good seats

See this that ? I'm talking about with these undercover Trump supporters on this site.

You're either telling a blatant lie attempting to misinform the readers on this site or you're simply a dumb ? .

There was absolutely no way for Obama to push any type of agenda during his Presidency. For Christ sake, these racist ass republicans wouldn't even allow the man to put a Supreme Court Justice in place after Judge Scalia died a year ago.

The Republicans held the House for 6 of his 8 years and the Senate for 4 of his 8 years. During that time, they blocked 99% of the things that Obama WANTED to pass. Prior to the republicans winning the House 6 years ago, Obama had to deal with racist ass Democrats in the Senate (ConservaDems) and House (Blue Dogs) that were also attempting to block him and/or water down his proposals for his first 2 years in office.

Buddy, some of us on this site are educated on the issues and will continue to check you goofys every time you try to push your dishonest agenda on this site.
  • NoCompetition
    NoCompetition Members Posts: 3,661 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2016
    JJ_Evans wrote: »
    Where are all you ? that were screaming Obama is the president of all america for the last eight years? Trump is pushing a white agenda with zero ? given but Obama couldn't push a black one? Y'all are getting your ? wake up call, it seems like only black people push this we all in this together ? .

So don't cry now you had eight years to get him to pass bills that would benefit black people but as usual you went right to the back of the bus and let "all of America" (which apparently doesn't include black people) get the good seats

See this that ? I'm talking about with these undercover Trump supporters on this site.

You're either telling a blatant lie attempting to misinform the readers on this site or you're simply a dumb ? .

There was absolutely no way for Obama to push any type of agenda during his Presidency. For Christ sake, these racist ass republicans wouldn't even allow the man to put a Supreme Court Justice in place after Judge Scalia died a year ago.

The Republicans held the House for 6 of his 8 years and the Senate for 4 of his 8 years. During that time, they blocked 99% of the things that Obama WANTED to pass. Prior to the republicans winning the House 6 years ago, Obama had to deal with racist ass Democrats in the Senate (ConservaDems) and House (Blue Dogs) that were also attempting to block him and/or water down his proposals for his first 2 years in office.

Buddy, some of us on this site are educated on the issues and will continue to check you goofys every time you try to push your dishonest agenda on this site.

Whats crazy and hard to believe is there are people who were leaning to voting Hillary who bought into "What have Obama and the Democrats done for you?" not realizing that rhetoric was on the low pushed by the same ones who obstructed his every attempt to do anything and slowed down the whole process and progress. And not realizing things have been done. Played like violins. I still am surprised how easily people were played.
  • Jabu_Rule
    Jabu_Rule Members Posts: 5,993 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Stiff wrote: »
    This must be what the Jews in Germany felt like when ? was first elected.....

I bet back then there were a handful of "woke" Jews sitting up talking 'bout "? just like the rest of them we been through it all..how could it get worse"

The Jews that knew what was up got the ? up out of Europe and went to Israel and the Americas. The movie The Pianist showed just how "woke" some Jews were right up to the point they were loaded in those freedom trains.
  • ghostdog56
    ghostdog56 Members Posts: 2,947 ✭✭✭✭✭

Tell this to the Mexicans, ? , and Jews. Just admit it you're ok and comfortable with being a second class citizen. Then you admit their are racist democrats that don't have black peoples best interest but you still follow the script like a faithful slave to his master
  • KingFreeman
    KingFreeman Members Posts: 13,731 ✭✭✭✭✭
    HYDRA finna get it in. Massacre 17.
  • manofmorehouse
    manofmorehouse Members Posts: 2,716 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2016

My circumstances are the circumstance that u have pointed out: as a black man, this isn't my country, Hillary and trump are both racists without our best interests in mind, and unless we all do some action collectively, we won't progress as a people. Having separate agendas wouldn't be beneficial to our collective plight. So what specifically would u say is something that Blacks can do do better the plight of black america?? I don't recall if u spoke on not voting because it doesn't change anything, but if u did, please explain how we progress as a people without participating in the political process. Genuinely curious
  • blackrain
    blackrain Members, Moderators Posts: 27,269 Regulator
    blackrain wrote: »

Your thought process is clouded, try expanding your POV outside of this system you've been programmed to work within,

If anything what you should have gotten is, the answer is different for different people, based on their status in this country.

Your own words were you won't reveal specifics...if you had the answer or any answer at all why not share it to help some others get off the ground too? It can't be both ways. You can't say in one breathe black folks have no pull or power to do anything yet in another claim to have some plan you won't reveal to combat what you just said can't be beat
  • Peace_79
    Peace_79 Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 8,964 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2016

Tell this to the Mexicans, ? , and Jews. Just admit it you're ok and comfortable with being a second class citizen. Then you admit their are racist democrats that don't have black peoples best interest but you still follow the script like a faithful slave to his master

Jesus Christ - Here we go again...

I'm going to start asking SPECIFICS of these wild claims of hyperbole meant to discredit the Democratcic party.

Sense y'all want to use these claims as irrefutable evidence for your radical narrative of "boycotting the government"....

PLEASE tell me, what overwhelingly abundant legislation has been passed for Mexicans, ? , and Jews that far outweigh anything that has been done to remotely affect black people?

• ghostdog56
    ghostdog56 Members Posts: 2,947 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Peace_79 wrote: »

Jesus Christ - Here we go again...

I'm going to start asking SPECIFICS of these wild claims of hyperbole meant to discredit the Democratcic party.

Sense y'all want to use these claims as irrefutable evidence for your radical narrative of "boycotting the government"....

PLEASE tell me, what overwhelingly abundant legislation has been passed for Mexicans, ? , and Jews that far outweigh anything that has been done to remotely affect black people?

? rights law
    http://www.mcclatchydc.com/news/politics-government/article24561835.html

$12 million in reparations for Jewish holocaust victims (the ? didn't even happen over here)
    http://rollingout.com/2015/10/07/obama-administration-earmarks-12-million-reparations-holocaust-survivors/

I got to go back to work but I'll pull up ? he's tried to do or did on behalf of the Mexican community
  • 5th Letter
    5th Letter Members, Moderators, Writer Posts: 37,068 Regulator
    Peace_79 your Response