Victor Cruz: Racist graffiti found at teammate's home 'reflection' of U.S.' state...

Options
stringer bell
stringer bell Members Posts: 26,212 ✭✭✭✭✭
http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/18238672/victor-cruz-speaks-robbery-racist-graffiti-found-home-new-york-giants-teammate-nikita-whitlock
EAST RUTHERFORD, N.J. -- Giants wide receiver Victor Cruz said Thursday that he views the racist graffiti drawn during a break-in of the home of teammate Nikita Whitlock as a reflection of the current state of the country.

Police in Moonachie, New Jersey, are investigating the Tuesday night robbery, during which burglars drew a ? and "KKK," as well as the word "Trump," on walls inside Whitlock's home.

The incident is being investigated as a hate crime, Moonachie police Sgt. Richard Behrens told The Record.

On Thursday, Cruz spoke out against what happened.

"I think it's definitely a direct reflection of how this country is being run and how this country is reacting maybe to some of the decisions and some of the ways that this country is being run and the things that are being said by the people at [the] helm of this country and at the helm of our day-to-day lives," the veteran Giants receiver said.

"From social media all the way up to the White House, these are things that are being spoken of and talked about on a daily basis, the good and the bad -- more so the bad at this point right now because that's all we have to work with. It's just an unfortunate situation that we're going through right now."

Cruz thinks Tuesday's incident at Whitlock's home reflects the mindset of people who support President-elect Donald Trump.

"Absolutely," Cruz said. "I think there's a specific mindset that comes with supporting a guy like Donald Trump and supporting what he stands for, and there's a certain type of person that comes with that. I'm not sure that person is always a positive-minded person, if you know what I mean. You've just got to be careful.

"As [a] minority, you have to be careful, as a person of influence you have to be careful and you've just got to make sure your family is safe and give them the knowledge that they need to stay safe in this world."

Cruz doesn't think all Trump supporters fit into that category; he said some likely just wanted change while others wanted a businessman in charge of the country.

After the presidential election, Cruz made it known that he wasn't a Trump fan. The former Pro Bowl receiver made that even clearer Thursday.

"You can't think of anything that that person that follows Donald Trump -- that they're going to do something positive," Cruz said. "And for someone to vandalize someone's house and write Trump's name or whatever they wrote on the walls, it's just proving that exact fact that I'm saying -- that people that may follow him aren't necessarily the most positive people in our community."

Cruz seemed unfazed by potential backlash from his politically based comments.

"That's fine with me," he said. "I'm comfortable with that. I'm comfortable with people's reactions to that. That's my opinion, that's my mindset, that's the way I think, so I'm not upset at anybody else that thinks otherwise."

For Cruz, a native of Paterson, New Jersey, which is about 10 miles northwest of Moonachie, the incident at Whitlock's house hit home.

"Absolutely. That's what is most shocking to me about this specific incident with Nikita Whitlock," Cruz said. "It's just 20 minutes from where I grew up. This could have easily happened in Paterson. It could have easily happened in Clifton or Passaic or Lyndhurst even for that matter. This could have happened anywhere.

"To see something like that happen around here and to happen the way that it did -- breaking into a home, the vandalism ... Nikita has children. He's got to explain that to his children. Not just right now. Five years from now, 10 years from now when they ask, 'Hey, dad, remember when that happened?' They have to answer those questions. He has to answer those questions to his children. It's unfortunate. No one should have to go through that."

Comments

• Will Munny
    Will Munny Members Posts: 30,199 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I reject that. It's a reflection of one ? . Not the US.
  • Focal Point
    Focal Point Members Posts: 16,307 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Wake-up call getting closer
  • dwade206
    dwade206 Members Posts: 11,558 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    But that ? tried to go in on King Kap. ? him and his opinions.

• dwade206
    Options
    Will Munny wrote: »

Either you're a ? ? or just playing stupid if you can't see the racist narrative that is being pushed in this country.
  • farris2k1
    farris2k1 Members Posts: 1,937 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Hmm how bout the majority of the us??? Trump being elected should tell you that
  • Will Munny
    Options
    farris2k1 wrote: »

He didn't win the popular vote.
  • farris2k1
    edited December 2016
    Options

He still won!!! And even if you take away trump becoming president youd still be a fool to believe the majority of america isnt racist
  • Will Munny
    Options

He still won!!! And even if you take away trump becoming president youd still be a fool to believe the majority of america isnt racist

How we get a black president if the majority of America is racist? I'm not implying racism isn't an issue, but it's intellectually dishonest to say the majority of Americans are racist.
  • farris2k1
    Options

How we get a black president if the majority of America is racist? I'm not implying racism isn't an issue, but it's intellectually dishonest to say the majority of Americans are racist.

"We got a black president" wtf??? Are you serious??? Thats a classic white boy response to this ? , figures, you know what tho? Its just easier to call you an idiot, instead of going back and forth with you
  • jetlifebih
    jetlifebih Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 4,655 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Cosign, and I'm a Giants fan...was rooting for him since this is his comeback season but he killed my high with that stance on kaps protest
  • D0wn
    D0wn Members Posts: 10,818 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Options
    Didn't this ? ? on Kaepernick???

Lmao

Victor Cruz to Colin Kaepernick: 'You've got to respect the flag'

https://www.google.com/amp/amp.usatoday.com/story/89506934/?client=ms-android-metropcs-us

Barack Obama Says He 'Absolutely' Faced Racism In Office

https://www.google.com/amp/m.huffpost.com/us/entry/us_5849457de4b0d0aa037f5848/amp?client=ms-android-metropcs-us
  • gns
    gns Members Posts: 21,285 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Lol @ this thread
    Victor cruz and will munny funny
  • NothingButTheTruth
    NothingButTheTruth Members Posts: 10,850 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

This, you can't say two ratchet black woman don't represent all black women, and then say one racist white person represents all white people.

You have to be logically sound with your statements or outsiders won't take you serious.
  • desertrain10
    desertrain10 Members Posts: 4,829 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Options

This, you can't say two ratchet black woman don't represent all black women, and then say one racist white person represents all white people.

You have to be logically sound with your statements or outsiders won't take you serious.

so racism and systemic racism isn't a problem in America

there's no evidence a large segment of white America is not very fond of blk ppl?

• NothingButTheTruth
    Options

"We got a black president" wtf??? Are you serious??? Thats a classic white boy response to this ? , figures, you know what tho? Its just easier to call you an idiot, instead of going back and forth with you

Lol you said Trump being elected means the majority of people in the US are racist, then he turned it on you and said well then "how was Obama elected?" and you froze up because you realized he used your own logic against you.

In other words, he asked a valid question.
  • Peace_79
    Peace_79 Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 8,964 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Uhh... there are a few more data points in this discussion outside of this isolated incident.

• NothingButTheTruth
    edited December 2016
    Options

there's no evidence a large segment of white America is not very fond of blk ppl?

Systemic racism most certainly exists, but that highlights a select group of people in power, not the majority. The majority of them are pawns just like us, and the quicker you get a hold of this concept the better.

I say this all the time, the media is our biggest enemy. You have to understand that outsiders only see the worst of black people spotlighted on the news - yellow journalism, tv shows, movies, through entertainment, fake statistics etc. So from their perspective, these are as good as truths until proven different. If your only view of indian people is criminal ? via real life or cinema, I'm pretty sure you wouldn't be too fond of indians, now would you?

Then you take into consideration that black people are only ~14% of the population in the US and hold no true power here, and you should better understand the reality of our situation in this country.
  • Copper
    Copper Members Posts: 49,532 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Will Munny going full white in this ? .

How we get trump as president if majority of America voted for Clinton?
  • dwade206
    Options

• Will Munny
    edited December 2016
    Options

well... if the majority of the country is racist how did we get a black president? I mean sure I'm an idiot but you're the one who thinks going back fourth is too hard. :anguished:
    Copper wrote: »
    Will Munny going full white in this ? .

How we get trump as president if majority of America voted for Clinton?

Do you know what the electoral college is or did you never have a 9th grade level civics course?
  • Bcotton5
    Bcotton5 Members Posts: 51,851 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

• numbaz...80's baby
    numbaz...80's baby Members Posts: 5,104 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Large amount of ratchet black hoes too
  • Copper
    Copper Members Posts: 49,532 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Do you know what the electoral college is or did you never have a 9th grade level civics course?

Yes I know ? .
    It was a response to your stupid ass " how is Obama president if half the country is racist?" comment...the same way trump is
  • not_osirus_jenkins
    not_osirus_jenkins Members, Banned Users Posts: 3,670 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Hey will you do know like only a fourth of this country actually votes right?