Faux "News" contributor Judith Miller calls investigation of Russian hacking Obama’s ‘tar baby’ gift

Options
stringer bell
stringer bell Members Posts: 26,212 ✭✭✭✭✭
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oCk0XFOP44k

http://www.rawstory.com/2016/12/fox-contributor-judy-miller-calls-investigation-of-russian-hacking-obamas-tar-baby-gift-to-trump/
Fox contributor Judy Miller calls investigation of Russian hacking Obama’s ‘tar baby’ gift to Trump

In a discussion about the investigation into Russian hacking of the 2016 election, former New York Times writer Judith Miller warned against Trump involving himself in the mess, saying it could be a “tar baby” for his nascent administration.

“As Sen. McCain said, it’s pretty clear that the Russians did something,” said Miller. “And it’s pretty clear — according to 17 U.S intelligence agencies — what what they did helped Donald Trump.”

The motive, she said, could be harder to determine.

As much as Trump might want all discussion of the matter to cease, she continued, “it’s not going away.”

“Pres. Obama isn’t going to let it go away because his full intelligence review guarantees that this tar baby is going to be delivered to Mr. Trump as a ‘welcome’ present to the White House before inauguration on Jan. 20,” she said.

The term “tar baby” is a term for a quagmire, a trap wherein the more that one struggles, the more one becomes ensnared. Some claim that it is a literary term, devoid of racist implications, but its history is more complex that that.

In an “Uncle Remus” folk tale, a clever fox trapped a rabbit by smearing a doll with tar and turpentine, making it sticky. When the rabbit slapped the doll for refusing to acknowledge him, he became stuck.

In 2006, Ta-Nehisi Coates wrote that the term tar baby “also has had racial implications. In his book Coup, John Updike says of a white woman who prefers the company of black men, “some questing chromosome within holds her sexually fast to the tar baby.” The Oxford English Dictionary (but not the print version of its American counterpart) says that tar baby is a derogatory term used for ‘a black or a Maori.'”

Miller lost her job at the Times and is considered by some to be “a humiliated and discredited shill” over her role in outing CIA operative Valerie Plame as well as her fervent insistence that Saddam Hussein had weapons of mass destruction in the run-up to the Iraq War.

In both instances, it became clear that she was being used as a cat’s paw for the George W. Bush administration’s agenda of starting a war with Iraq.

Regardless of how Miller meant it, whether as a racist slur aimed at Pres. Obama and his imaginary offspring or just in the folkloric sense of a sticky or troublesome matter, it was a remark that is bound to rankle many, just as it did when Gov. Mitt Romney used the term to describe Massachusetts’ “Big Dig project.”

Comments

• Copper
    Copper Members Posts: 49,532 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
  • 1CK1S
    1CK1S Members Posts: 27,471 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    If Trump straight up shot and killed someone, those retards at Faux will probably say that he had a good reason to do it.
  • fortyacres
    fortyacres Members, Moderators Posts: 4,480 Regulator
    Options
    i thought voting and its emboldening consequences dont matter.
  • huey
    huey Members Posts: 11,743 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Interesting choice of words. I have never heard or seen that term used by anyone my whole life
  • SneakDZA
    SneakDZA Members Posts: 11,223 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    1CK1S wrote: »
    If Trump straight up shot and killed someone, those retards at Faux will probably say that he had a good reason to do it.
    Trump: I could shoot somebody and not lose voters
    At a campaign rally in Iowa, Republican presidential candidate Donald Trump jokingly says he could "shoot somebody and not lose any voters."
    Source: CNN http://www.cnn.com/videos/politics/2016/01/23/donald-trump-iowa-rally-shooting-sot.cnn
  • Trillfate
    Trillfate Members Posts: 24,008 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    gns wrote: »
    The way she said it sounds like it was in the context of the dictionary definition
    The fact that she is white and is on fox wouldnt be surprised if she meant it the other way on some slick ?

Yea she got bars
    huey wrote: »
    Interesting choice of words. I have never heard or seen that term used by anyone my whole life

The Tar-Baby is the second of the Uncle Remus stories published in 1881; it is about a doll made of tar and turpentine used by the villainous Br'er Fox to entrap Br'er Rabbit. The more that Br'er Rabbit fights the Tar-Baby, the more entangled he becomes.

In modern usage, "tar baby" refers to any "sticky situation" that is only aggravated by additional involvement with it.
  • huey
    huey Members Posts: 11,743 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I know what it is, my point is that it doesn't seem to be a common phrase used by anyone regardless of age. Bet she hi fived her colleagues later