Blade Runner 2049 (2017) Ryan Gosling,Harrison Ford,Robin Wright,Dave Bautista & Jared Leto

Options
124»

Comments

• lazypakman
    lazypakman Members Posts: 4,913 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I'd advise people to maybe lower their expectations if you've bought into the hyperbole of critical affection the films gotten.

This certainly isn't the 5* masterpiece it's being labelled as in some quarters.

I personally enjoyed it a lot, but it has problems that shouldn't go unnoticed.
  • Broddie
    Broddie Members Posts: 11,750 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2017
    Options
    lazypakman wrote: »
    I'd advise people to maybe lower their expectations if you've bought into the hyperbole of critical affection the films gotten.

This certainly isn't the 5* masterpiece it's being labelled as in some quarters.

So it's a lot like.....Blade Runner?
  • lazypakman
    Options
    Broddie wrote: »

It's not a patch on the original.

Was the original even critically lauded upon release? I was always under the impression it was the subsequent revisitation over that decade that cemented it's place into lexicon.

• Broddie
    edited October 2017
    Options

Was the original even critically lauded upon release? I was always under the impression it was the subsequent revisitation over that decade that cemented it's place into lexicon.

Yeah I believe that's how it went down. Subsequent cuts helped critics become more kind to it.

I meant more so with the sci-fi fanbase in general though. How they hail it as a monumental and essential piece of genre fare despite the movie itself being polarizing as ? . Sounds like the new one continues that sentiment.
  • lazypakman
    edited October 2017
    Options

I meant more so with the sci-fi fanbase in general though. How they hail it as a monumental and essential piece of genre fare despite the movie itself being polarizing as ? . Sounds like the new one continues that sentiment.

Since i've got the time, let me break it down a little bit as part of that fanbase, and feel free to read after you've watched it but i'll keep it spoiler free
    as a continuation of ? 's work in essence it's fine, i got my fix of "androids having existential crises" sorted for a long while after this one, where it fails in a lot of places with me is this vision of 2049 which doesn't bring anything new to the table......we're two years away from the originals setting in which a lot of the low key tech has has already been manifested over time, and so much more at least conceptually exists, it's one of the things i love about the first, how it managed to get that side of things so right.

The implementation of technology in this movie because of where the narrative goes, has been done elsewhere, from 'her' to 'black mirror' ( to name a couple) in more interesting and grounded ways that a lot of it didn't work with me.Put it this way, as someone who has worked on the engineering side of fusion ion beam microscopes and biomedical image analysis, the most fascinating piece of kit in this film was during a lab scene where they analysed bone (if i remember correctly) in a manner of ways, that was cool to me because i know that those machines will get there eventually having seen what i've seen.

On the visual tip , Deakins is undoubtedly the real mvp of this movie (loved Leto's lair), but i'd argue that you could put this up against 'ghost in the shell' and you'd struggle differentiate how these worlds aesthetically are that disimilar , just shows you the quality of the man that he can elevate it to another level, although his work in "Sicario" was better.

I have other grievances with the film but it's still a flawed masterpiece, hope everyone else that watches it enjoys it, watch this on the biggest screen you can find.
  • northside7
    northside7 Members Posts: 25,739 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    About to watch it right now in Imax.
  • northside7
    northside7 Members Posts: 25,739 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Visually it was great. Acting was good. Liked the music selection. But after watching the first one last night and this one today I still don't understand the point of both films.
  • dontdiedontkillanyon
    dontdiedontkillanyon Members Posts: 10,172 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2017
    Options
    This film left far more questions than answers. Just like the original.

What did you not get clarification on?

It was all wrapped up nice and neat imo
    IS DECKARD A REPLICANT?!?!?!?!
  • dontdiedontkillanyon
    dontdiedontkillanyon Members Posts: 10,172 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2017
    Options
    northside7 wrote: »
    Visually it was great. Acting was good. Liked the music selection. But after watching the first one last night and this one today I still don't understand the point of both films.
    "What does it mean to be human? What is memory, and how is it tied together with our concepts of identity, existence, soul? What is free will, and does it even exist?"
  • rip.dilla
    rip.dilla Members Posts: 17,412 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I saw the Theatrical version of the first one on TV midnight last night (Sky Cinema)... it's a good film still. Still very original and hardly dated in terms of sci-fi logistics...

Just coming from seeing the second one at the local...

Man visually it'll be hard to see a movie that'll top this this year or even in the last decade. Proper homage was paid to the forebearer

What I got from this new film if spoilers are still enforced is this time the Blade Runner is half human half replicant and that was his whole dilemma

Great casting with Gosling. He can play 'moody' and brooding with a ferocity few of his contemporaries can

Jared Leto's character with his mannerisms made me laugh...

Finally something I noticed in both films was the central male character killing women viciously... something usually omitted from modern action flicks so as not to cause offence

I'll definitely buy it when the Blu Ray disc is released

4/5
  • gifted
    gifted Members Posts: 684 ✭✭✭
    Options
    Just saw it. Visually stunning but the pacing was ultra slow for me. It picked up like 2hours in. Arty Sci-fi Noir bore. It sure ain't no Matrix, no Terminator, no Total Recall even. Gosling is a great actor and Villeneve is one of my favourite new directors but parts of this reminded me of Only ? Forgives which I despised. Maybe my expectations were high based on hype. Maybe on second watch, it will be better.
  • lord nemesis
    lord nemesis Members Posts: 11,946 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Just got back from it and found it enjoyable.
  • VulcanRaven
    VulcanRaven Members Posts: 18,859 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    texas409 wrote: »
    What's so great about these movies I never got into it

If you enjoy sci-fi watch and see for yourself.

Sidenote: there was a Blade Runner spinoff called Soldier with Kurt Russell that might be worth looking into if BR doesn't end up being exactly your speed.

Wait ...what? How is that movie a spinoff of Blade Runner? Haven't seen it in years
  • Broddie
    edited October 2017
    Options

Sidenote: there was a Blade Runner spinoff called Soldier with Kurt Russell that might be worth looking into if BR doesn't end up being exactly your speed.

Wait ...what? How is that movie a spinoff of Blade Runner? Haven't seen it in years

Same screenwriter, same universe.
  • VulcanRaven
    VulcanRaven Members Posts: 18,859 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Same screenwriter, same universe.

Learned something new
  • fortyacres
    fortyacres Members, Moderators Posts: 4,480 Regulator
    Options
    ? was really cool , really captured the essence of the first Blade Runner.

Ryan Gosling did his thing as Joe , Old Gal who played the bad guy was ruthlessly dope.

Harrison is Harrison.

the Cinematography and CGI in this movie is amazing.....Villeneuve the nicest out.

a solid 8/10 and worthy sequel.
  • Mr.LV
    Mr.LV Members Posts: 14,089 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    The visual effects were incredible,it definitely leaves it open for a sequel.I enjoyed this movie.