7 Reasons You Should Acknowledge and Respect Grandmaster Flash and the Furious 5

Options
5 Grand
5 Grand Members Posts: 12,869 ✭✭✭✭✭
1. Live Convention 1981 Freestyle - Grandmaster Flash on the turntables and Melle Mel on the mic.

2. The Message - Grandmaster Flash and the Furious 5 feat Melle Mel and Duke ?
In 2002, its first year of archival, it was one of 50 recordings chosen by the Library of Congress to be added to the National Recording Registry, the first hip hop recording ever to receive this honor.

In addition to being widely regarded as an all-time rap anthem, "The Message" has been credited by many critics as the song that catapulted emcees from the background to the forefront of hip hop. Thus, shifting the focus from the mixing and scratching of the grandmaster as the star, to the thoughts and lyrics of the emcee playing the star role. David Hickley wrote in 2004 that ""The Message" also crystallized a critical shift within rap itself. It confirmed that emcees, or rappers, had vaulted past the deejays as the stars of the music".

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Message_(Grandmaster_Flash_and_the_Furious_Five_song)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O4o8TeqKhgY

3. I Feel For You - Chaka Khan feat Melle Mel (Live At The Grammys 1985)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fKGZSfIQS64
"I Feel for You" is a song written by Prince that originally appeared on his 1979 self-titled album. The most successful and best-known version was recorded by R&B singer Chaka Khan, appearing on her 1984 album, I Feel for You. Prince, as songwriter, won the 1985 Grammy Award for Best Rhythm and Blues Song.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/I_Feel_for_You

4. Funky 4+1 interview
KK Rockwell: When I use to go to Bronx River I use to see him and he wasn’t doing any rhymes, he would just talk to the crowd. Now, I remember seeing Mele Mel and Cowboy. I remember seeing them first and then all of a sudden Kid Creole appeared.

Troy- So who was first between Mel and Cowboy?

KK Rockwell: I seen them together, I don’t know who was first.

Troy- Okay, did you see Caz at all over there on the other side?

KK Rockwell: I also seen Caz but I seen him DJing at Echo Park.

Troy- And we talking about the early days when you first was doing it by yourself with Funky Four.

Baron: ’77.

Troy- That was the year of the black-out. Was that the first year you played with them KK?

Baron: Right after I got out of high school. I got out in June so it could have been ’76, later part.

KK Rockwell: That’s about right. Baron: Our first jam was Murphy Projects, remember Murphy?

KK Rockwell: I remember.

Baron- The Voice of KK. Yeah

Troy- Who did you hear before you KK, to give you the idea to put rhymes together?

KK Rockwell: Well, as far as putting rhymes together, Mel and Cowboy.

Troy- So you heard them guys and that’s what inspired you to rhyme?

KK Rockwell: Rhymes yes, but talking I heard Mr. Big. Dudes also during this time actually were starting to put the rhymes together like

“Jack and Jill
went up the hill
to have a little fun,”

KK Rockwell – Ya know what I’m saying? Like a little nursery school rhymes, ya know?

Troy- Right, so mostly Mel and Cowboy. Well mostly Mel because Cowboy was also saying “throw your hands up in the air” type dude. Mel was actually saying some rhymes.

KK Rockwell: Right, well Cowboy rhymed too.

http://www.oldschoolhiphop.com/interviews/breakbaronfunky.htm

Comments

• 5 Grand
    Options
    5. Chief Rocker Busy B interview
    TLS- What made you get on the mic from day one?

I knew I could do that. I saw Mele Mel and Creole do a routine on the microphone while Flash was playing the music.

TLS- So the Three emcees were already formed before you got on the mic?

Right, they were already known to the neighborhood before I got on the mic.

TLS- after the Three emcees was it the Funky 4 or was it the L- Brothers?

The Funky Four didn’t come nowhere near until later, they weren’t even thought of. Let me tell you something I used to go over by The Bruckner Boulevard part of town and see D.J Disco King Mario. But Bambaataa was the ruler over there. It was Bam and the Zulu Nation and they had just formed. I used to hang out over there by Bronx River also. I did all this by myself. I didn’t have no n
    going with me, or have a crew; I just went as I was. I let them know I do this; I can get on the mic and rock. Bam was free; Bam was always the guy that let you do what ever you wanted to do just as long as you could do it. He was like if you can D.J no problem “come on and spin some records, you want to talk on the mic, hold up let me get the mic together.” “Here's Star Ski.” And I made the people happy with whatever I said. Troy you got what I said on tape, I made the people happy. So I was always welcome to the Zulu Nation. Now to be welcomed to the Zulu Nation at that time you really had to be a person with some character, because when y you went to Bronx River and you were a nobody, you got robbed.ou went to Bronx River and you were a nobody, you got robbed.

http://www.thafoundation.com/busy_bee.htm

6. Kool Moe Dee Interview
    JQ : At the point between the Treacherous 3 forming and Sugarhill / Enjoy releasing records who did the T 3 see as a threat lyrically - specifically you , did anyone pose a threat to you ?

Kool Moe Dee: Nah , we didn’t look at it as a threat at the time . A lot of that energy came from the Furious 5, in fact they weren't even the Furious 5 yet. T3 didnt become a group until ' 78 and originally it was me L.A. & Spoonie G. Spoonie left because he made a record in ' 79 and I replaced him with Special K. K went to my school, I had already met him through the fast rhymes. So there was no atmosphere of threat, more trying to fit in & get a handle of what was going on. It really wasn’t until ' 78 that Flash & The Furious 4 formed - Rahiem wasnt down yet. I remember when it was just the three Emcees and then Flash put Mr Ness down. I remember the night Flash premiered the backspin. That was when I knew that I was gonna take this seriously & do it for the rest of my life. Until that time I wrote rhymes , but it was more like Hollywood & Starski with the crowd participation and call & response. I wasn’t really taking it seriously....they would bring music & set up in the park & I would get on and do a little something . But that night at the Audobon I went to see Starski...but they would double bill it - they had Flash from 10 - 12 and Starski from 12 - 2; then Flash from 2- 4 and Starski from 4 - 6.

At that time Starski was the headliner at the Audobon ; and the hottest thing as far as the club was concerned . He & Hollywood were the # 1 & 2 at the time. Until Flash came to Manhattan (this is some more friction between Manhattan & the Bronx) it wasn't that Flash wasnt valid; but when he came it opened him up to the ? of the whole situation ' cuz we were still lookin at Starski & Hollywood as the top dogs . We heard about Flash and Herc but as far as New York went we didnt see them we didnt know what they were doing; and nobody is rockin parties like Luvbug - so he is the top dog.

The Audobon was the first time you had the fusion of Manhattan comin to see Luvbug & Bronx comin to see Flash . I'll never forget Starski was about to get off and Creole was telling him to turn his music off - like arrogantly. He was like " its time for Grandmaster!! " . I was annoyed like who is this kid tellin Starski to get off - he’s got a lot of nerve !! Finally Starski said arrogantly " we gonna take a break now, but we will be right back" - basically like we're just killin time 'cuz they're on the bill - makin a lil slap at them . I was in the front row and they turned the lights out. Creole starts this long intro over this echo chamber ...it was the first time I'd ever heard that . I call Creole the original hype man. Flavor Flav is the Grandson of him (I do the blood line on Hip Hop ) . But he did the greatest show on Earth type of intro like aaaaarrrrreeee yyyooouuu rrreeaaddyyyyyy , and Flash dropped the bells - Mardis Gras .

And in Manhattan we listened to Michael Jackson and whatever club record was out, and the Dj would rhyme over that . We didn’t get into a lot of breaks besides Jam On The Groove, stuff like that. Starski had just finished doing a routine over a Michael Jackson beat, and when Flash threw on the bells ; the Bronx crowd knew what was up ; they went crazy , and the Manhattan crowd couldn’t deny that somethin was happening that was different. I was shocked 'cuz not only did they intro Flash and he came in on beat, the spotlight hits Cowboy who was sittin in a chair , he just started spellin his name out....it was the hottest ? that I'd heard at that point. " The C-O-W-B-O-Y the man is bad, that you cant deny". As simple as that was, nobody was doin it that way . Then he passed the mic to Mele Mel and it was the first time I heard metaphor. Mel did a metaphor & I said this is how I want to do this. Thats why I say that Melle Mel is the prototype of what everybody is doin today.

http://www.thafoundation.com/moedee.htm

7. Grandmaster Flash and the Furious 5 induction to the Rock N Roll Hall of Fame

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p-lYDn6XAVs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7tuPWXPd4nI

• Beta
    Beta Members Posts: 65,596 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
  • TayGettem
    TayGettem Members Posts: 6,859 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Old ? gonna b old ? be
  • smp4life
    smp4life Members Posts: 2,922 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    No Melle Mel = no Chuck D! They get my respect but the only thing I'm bumping from these cats is The Message.
  • 5 Grand
    Options
    O.G. wrote: »
    This pseudo old school hip hop head ? is a ? trip. Your "knowledge" comes from google. ? I am older than you and i don't even ? with these dang diggy dang diggy dang a dang ? like that. You were way too young in '79-84 for this ? Melle Mel to touch your soul like that. That means you were still ? in your underoos when he was relevant. He had a couple of good songs and his time was up. Run-DMC and LL etc. ended his era. Let it go. Quit force feeding ? this ? . He and the Furious 5 get the respect they deserve but enough is enough. They will never be as popular as the generation after them and there is nothing you can do about it.

Dude, I had Beat Street on videotape back in 1986. This was before Rakim came out. I used to watch it every day in the summer between 7th and 8th grade. His last verse at the end of the movie blew me away. I'd never heard anybody rap like that before.

You sound like a complete ? talking ? about the founders of Hip Hop on a Hip Hop board.

Thats like going to a R&B message board and talking ? about Ray Charles.
  • 5 Grand
    Options
    5 Grand wrote: »
    This pseudo old school hip hop head ? is a ? trip. Your "knowledge" comes from google. ? I am older than you and i don't even ? with these dang diggy dang diggy dang a dang ? like that. You were way too young in '79-84 for this ? Melle Mel to touch your soul like that. That means you were still ? in your underoos when he was relevant. He had a couple of good songs and his time was up. Run-DMC and LL etc. ended his era. Let it go. Quit force feeding ? this ? . He and the Furious 5 get the respect they deserve but enough is enough. They will never be as popular as the generation after them and there is nothing you can do about it.

Dude, I had Beat Street on videotape back in 1986. This was before Rakim came out. I used to watch it every day in the summer between 7th and 8th grade. His last verse at the end of the movie blew me away. I'd never heard anybody rap like that before.

You sound like a complete ? talking ? about the founders of Hip Hop on a Hip Hop board.

You had Beat Street on tape. So ? what. I drove my girlfriend to see it at the movies when it came out. So ? what. I ain't talkin ? about the founders of hip hop, I'm talkin ? about YOU. You start a thread every few months paying homage to these dudes and you ain't schoolin nobody on ? . All this ? is common knowledge. We love hip hop that is why we already know about this ? . Then you get all upset when someone doesn't share the same passion about an old ass song as you do. You wouldn't have even made this thread if you didn't get ? on in the other thread about Melle Mel and Flash.

For somebody who doesn't care you sure have spent a lot of time responding in this thread.

And yeah, I saw Beat Street in the theaters too.

In fact, I saw Wildstyle in the theatre.
  • LcnsdbyROYALTY
    LcnsdbyROYALTY Members Posts: 13,763 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    This thread was self ether and hilarious becaus of it.
  • bck145
    bck145 Members Posts: 4,997 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

You had Beat Street on tape. So ? what. I drove my girlfriend to see it at the movies when it came out. So ? what. I ain't talkin ? about the founders of hip hop, I'm talkin ? about YOU. You start a thread every few months paying homage to these dudes and you ain't schoolin nobody on ? . All this ? is common knowledge. We love hip hop that is why we already know about this ? . Then you get all upset when someone doesn't share the same passion about an old ass song as you do. You wouldn't have even made this thread if you didn't get ? on in the other thread about Melle Mel and Flash.

Well said
  • DarthRozay
    DarthRozay Members Posts: 20,570 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I find it funny how I thought this ? would actually be put together well but its literally just youtube vids and part of interviews copy and pasted.
  • macadonwoo
    macadonwoo Members Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    This thread is hilarious lol
  • 5 Grand
    Options
    Still waiting for somebody to explain why you shouldn't acknowledge and respect Grandmaster Flash and the Furious 5.

Maybe one of the mods can explain it.
  • BackInWhite
    BackInWhite Members Posts: 23,591 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Still waiting for somebody to explain why you shouldn't acknowledge and respect Grandmaster Flash and the Furious 5.

Maybe one of the mods can explain it.

Stop snitchin