52 Books In 52 Weeks: Week One Underway Come Join Us! [Start With Old Man And The Sea]

Options

Comments

• atribecalledgabi
    atribecalledgabi Members, Moderators Posts: 14,063 Regulator
    Options
    ? _Caesar wrote: »
    I want to start reading again this year. I haven't read a real book in like 5 or 6 years. I just don't know what to read. Anyone got any suggestions?

One thing that worked for me when I started back reading again a couple years ago was i started off small. Read comics/graphic novels, short stories, easy fiction reads (less than 200 pgs)
  • Paprika
    Paprika Members Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    ? _Caesar wrote: »
    I want to start reading again this year. I haven't read a real book in like 5 or 6 years. I just don't know what to read. Anyone got any suggestions?

Try out The Old Man And The Sea by Ernest Hemingway. It's 120 pages I think. A book everyone should read actually.

The theme of the book encapsulates the 52 Books in 52 Weeks perfectly.

https://www.gutenberg.ca/ebooks/hemingwaye-oldmanandthesea/hemingwaye-oldmanandthesea-00-t.txt

Or use the link in the spoiler on the first page to get it in a desired format.
  • zzombie
    zzombie Members Posts: 11,280 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    You don't need to speed read to read 52 books in a year just don't read too many 200 plus page books
  • atribecalledgabi
    atribecalledgabi Members, Moderators Posts: 14,063 Regulator
    Options
    Yall should get on goodreads if you're not already

It's basically imdb for books.
  • (Nope)
    (Nope) Members Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I can't do this while school is in session, but over the summer I always try and read a book a week.

@Paprika goat thread!

When I was an adolescent, I dropped out of school and started reading everything I could get my hands on. Couldn't officially get books from the library because of a past due book I had long since lost, so I would steal them and then put them in the drop-box when I was done. My routine was some: sell drugs, steal book, read book, define all words I was unfamiliar with, return book, throw my name up in paint somewhere, sleep (rinse and repeat). I swear on everything the reading I did kept me safe. I learned how to think critically, understand and define my environment, and understand people in a way I previously hadn't. You can be stuck somewhere, but books will take you places, give you perspective to work with, and introduce you to new things. Reading is edifying!

• blackrain
    blackrain Members, Moderators Posts: 27,269 Regulator
    Options
    BEAM wrote: »
    I read 125 books this past year, going for 150+ this year.

Speed reading has always worked just fine for me; But I didn't learn to skip over any words or info, only to read entire lines at a time and to not need to repeat the words in my head as I'm reading.

? aren't too busy to read, they just don't / aren't good at it.

Or people just take in information differently so speed reading don't work for everybody....
  • T. Sanford
    T. Sanford Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 25,291 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I been slacking on my reading for awhile but I just peeled back the pages into this real estate book that I didn't get to finish
  • BEAM
    BEAM Members Posts: 2,560 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2017
    Options
    blackrain wrote: »
    Or people just take in information differently so speed reading don't work for everybody....

Okay, hence not being good at it. If "differently" is still slower, then you still read slow, or take in information slow. Take your pick.
    If we weren't talking about a goal of reading 50+ books a year, speed reading wouldn't be such a pertinent topic, but we are.
  • Reigns
    Reigns Members Posts: 305 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I'm in on this. I tell myself to read more all the time. I only got around to about 4 books last year. I try to mix it up: "self-help" book then an "entertaining" book. I just didn't know what to read a lot of stuff I want to learn and read about it's overwhelming. ThreAd is bookmarked and I'm starting the old man and the sea. Good thread.
  • playmaker88
    playmaker88 Members Posts: 67,905 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2017
    Options
    There is actually a lot of ? i been wanting to read. as far as book
    Marc lamonts book.
    This book called complicity about the Norths complicity in the slave trade(Been wanting to read this for years)
    Always wanted to read $40 million dollar slave

What i have been reading is a bunch of articles.. Smh i still havent gotten around to reading .. Ta-Nahesi Coates articles on Reparations and Barack.. one has to prepare for Ta-Nehisi.. need to throw on some jazz and just get into it.. but been tryin to do 10 things at once.. surf the net, watch the news and sports
  • blackrain
    blackrain Members, Moderators Posts: 27,269 Regulator
    edited January 2017
    Options
    blackrain wrote: »

Okay, hence not being good at it. If "differently" is still slower, then you still read slow, or take in information slow. Take your pick.
    If we weren't talking about a goal of reading 50+ books a year, speed reading wouldn't be such a pertinent topic, but we are.

People's brains literally take in information differently. That's not something you have much control over. That's why things like different studying techniques work for different people in how they not only read but take in and retain information. That's why different speaking techniques appeal to different people in terms of what they will hear and pay attention to. It's not a sign of not being good at something, it's a sign that not every human mind is identical.
  • Undefeatable
    Undefeatable Members Posts: 1,970 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Don't mean to offend anyone but if you're not retainin' information, it's not really speed readin'.

Speed readin' only good for studyin' anyway

Tbh, most people aren't very good at reading.

They can read, and I'm sure they read things all the time. But as soon as we bring up one advanced technique, ? start making excuses. If you can't ( yes, can't ) read 50+ books a year, alright; But it's because you're not good enough at reading ( speed, comprehension, memory, etc ) to do so, not for any other reason. It is what it is.

Don't have the time? Learn to speed read, then you'll have the time.
    Can't find anything interesting to read? You're bullshitting, stop it.

Think about how much more you'll know by the end of the year if you read one new book every week.
    You can not want to do that, but there's nothing negative to be said about those that do / can and the techniques they use to do so.

You really sound condescending, you know that?

There any a number of different reasons why someone might not be able to read 50+ books a year, other than not being good at reading, chief among them being time.

If someone is skeptical about speed reading, that doesn't necessarily speak to any inability. The skepticism might be based on other considerations. Actually it is pretty stupid to think that it must reflect some sort of inability.

You are not just condescending, but sophomoric as well.
  • kzzl
    kzzl Members Posts: 7,548 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    TayGettem wrote: »
    Kindle solves all

My problem with Kindle is that part of me misses having the physical copy in my hand. Also, there's been two occasions where the book wasn't available in that format. Other than that, it's been a great app for my phone. I read when I want, wherever I want.
  • TayGettem
    TayGettem Members Posts: 6,859 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Kindle solves all

Real ? don't ? with Kindle, Kobo, Nook, or any other e-reader on the market.

If ? wanna walk around with a book all day that's cool. I'm just saying it's alot less cumbersome to just download it straight to ya phone. Last year I read 30 books of kindle alone ? GOAT when u at work bored af. Now granted I don't read no super deep learn ya history type ? . I mostly stick to Horror, Action Tiller, Teen Romance, Fantasy and my favorite Teen Drama. If yall never read a Ellen Hopkins or James Patterson book u sleep
  • yellowtapesport
    yellowtapesport Members Posts: 4,662 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    LOL @ teen drama

this ? reading Buffy lmao
  • TayGettem
    edited January 2017
    Options
    LOL @ teen drama

No teen drama as in Drug Addiction, Suicide, ? , Mental Breakdown, School Shootings, Bullying, Prostitution.....this ain't no twilight bro. Like I said look up Ellen Hopkins she the queen author of dark ? teens go through one of her best books is called Crank. It's a true story based on her own daughters drug addiction to ?
  • AZTG
    AZTG Members Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Everybody kinda different. Idk about speedreading, but I read fast and dont miss any information and remember everything about the book pretty much.

With that said, im down to do this.

Started reading "The Alchemist" last night. So far its a dope as book.

I havent read fiction in a long time. Forgot how good it feels to read a good story.
  • AZTG
    AZTG Members Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    There is a theory on learning that says a person learns faster and retains information when they learn a variety of different subjects at the same time.

So, if yall interested in something, dont only read about that subject, but mix it up. Sometimes read two different books at the same time. Especially if you are reading a informational book, try to read a fiction book at the same time and try to mix the time between books where its like 65% to 35%.

Sometimes I end up learning more on a topic on a day I dont read up on it. Meaning sometimes ill take a break from something and that day or two where im not overloading info but letting I already read marinate, i realize i get a better grasp on it.

Plus, i learn much better and faster when Im not actively trying to learn. What I mean is, if I pick up a book on any topic and my mindstate is, im going to just read this book, I end up actually retaining the information and understand whats being taught faster than when I pick up a book and tell myself ima learn this ? and take notes and read every word carefully.

Different ? works for different people though. Just gotta find what actually works for you and do it.
  • Paprika
    edited January 2017
    Options
    LOL @ teen drama

No teen drama as in Drug Addiction, Suicide, ? , Mental Breakdown, School Shootings, Bullying, Prostitution.....this ain't no twilight bro. Like I said look up Ellen Hopkins she the queen author of dark ? teens go through one of her best books is called Crank. It's a true story based on her own daughters drug addiction to ?

Crank was great. She's (Ellen) a terrible mom to her kid if she really stood there like a background characterImpulse, Crank and Glass are some of her best books. I read Tricks and it was begging for an ending and what do you know, there's a sequel.

Buying her books makes me ashamed of the life trees had to give up.
  • TayGettem
    Options
    Paprika wrote: »
    LOL @ teen drama

Crank was great. She's (Ellen) a terrible mom to her kid if she really stood there like a background characterImpulse, Crank and Glass are some of her best books. I read Tricks and it was begging for an ending and what do you know, there's a sequel.

Buying her books makes me ashamed of the life trees had to give up.

Kindle saves lives b lol but I've read all her books I hate happy go lucky books. I enjoy depressing dark ? more. Probably why I think sin city was one of the best movies ever cuz usually the hero gets a ? ending even if he won
  • dallas' 4 eva
    dallas' 4 eva Members Posts: 11,216 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Mods need to sticky this, this a good thread idea.
  • Paprika
    Options
    Best thread made.Congrats to TS.I would advice also buying books that teach other languages.Move on to semetic languages that read from left to right to make your brain switch up.Also if the book get´s too heavy stop and read another one and then come back later on.

I'm learning a language on the side as well. I usually go the audio and book method, but decided to switch to book and apps only.

It's worked out well I woke up this morning thinking in German.
  • Cabana_Da_Don
    Cabana_Da_Don Members Posts: 7,992 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Best thread made.Congrats to TS.I would advice also buying books that teach other languages.Move on to semetic languages that read from left to right to make your brain switch up.Also if the book get´s too heavy stop and read another one and then come back later on.

I'm learning a language on the side as well. I usually go the audio and book method, but decided to switch to book and apps only.

Thats cool.Very good man.
  • Paprika
    Options

Are you learning Hebrew? What is the practicality of Hebrew? Pardon my ignorance.
  • Cabana_Da_Don
    Cabana_Da_Don Members Posts: 7,992 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2017
    Options

Are you learning Hebrew? What is the practicality of Hebrew? Pardon my ignorance.

I was intriged by it because of the conscious community & Khabalah.I want to right books about the subject.I just find the script ´´pretty´´.I also found out that languages that pull the ´´R´´ also estimulate the brain.There´s other stuff too but it´s mostly a spiritual thing I´m not in it to be rich.But I want to learn german too also french and mandarim. Plus you read the right to left so I´m pretty sure that reading ´´backwords´´ estimulates the brain in many ways.