Video: North Carolina pig slams a black teenage girl to the ground & briefly knocks her unconscious…

Options
stringer bell
stringer bell Members Posts: 26,212 ✭✭✭✭✭

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2017/jan/03/north-carolina-police-body-slam-high-school-student
North Carolina officer caught on video slamming female student to ground

Footage shows school resource officer picking up young woman and throwing her to the floor, leading to a thud and shouts from nearby students

A North Carolina police officer was caught on video lifting a high school student into the air and slamming her to the ground, prompting widespread outrage and calls for the policeman to be fired.

The footage, which went viral on Twitter on Tuesday, showed a school resource officer in the middle of a chaotic scene at Rolesville high school picking up the young woman and throwing her to the floor, leading to a thud and shouts from nearby students.

Police and school officials did not immediately respond to requests for comment Tuesday night, but the local paper, the News and Observer, identified the officer as Ruben De Los Santos and reported that he was on paid administrative leave.

The video draws parallels to viral footage of a South Carolina sheriff’s deputy who was caught on camera last year wrapping his arm around a student’s neck in a classroom at Spring Valley high school. That officer, Ben Fields, flipped the student’s desk and dragged the girl across the floor before arresting her. He was eventually fired.

The Rolesville footage has raised fresh concerns about the use of force against students and the harsh and sometimes violent tactics police officers use in classrooms.

The American Civil Liberties Union of North Carolina said it was investigating the incident and encouraged people with information to contact the group.

“This use of force is very disturbing and is never justified, especially in schools where kids are supposed to go to learn and be safe and to concentrate on their school work,” said staff attorney Irena Como, adding that the ACLU would consider filing a lawsuit.

It’s unclear what precipitated the violence. The blurry one-minute footage initially showed some kind of altercation, possibly involving a group of students. Several adults appeared to intervene before the video clearly showed De Los Santos carrying the thin young woman and slamming her down.

For a brief moment, the young woman remained limp on the ground before the officer lifted her up and walked her out of view of the camera.

Police officials told the News and Observer that there may be body-camera footage of the incident. Wake County school officials responded on Twitter to the video, writing: “Thank you for sharing this with us. We are working with Rolesville Police Department to investigate.”

Criminal justice reform advocates have long raised concerns about the way public schools in America criminalize students, particularly black students who, studies show, are disproportionately targeted.

The ACLU has also scrutinized the use of corporal punishment against students with disabilities. The group’s recent report in California cited cases of police zip-tying a five-year-old student’s hands and feet and pepper-spraying a seven-year-old with a disability.

On Twitter, users responded to the Rolesville video with outrage and called for the officer to be fired.

“She did NOTHING to deserve that,” one person wrote. “Police feel entitled to use brutality against black people no matter the situation.”

“Protecting students should not involve physically injuring others,” another wrote.

Comments

• stringer bell
    stringer bell Members Posts: 26,212 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    http://www.wral.com/rolesville-student-slammed-to-ground-by-officer-i-was-in-shock-/16396466/
    Rolesville student slammed to ground by officer: 'I was in shock'

In video on Twitter posted Tuesday by a student at Rolesville High School, a Rolesville police officer is visible picking up a female student and slamming her to the floor.

The girl in the video is Jasmine Darwin, who said she was trying to break up a fight between her sister and another student when the officer came from behind and slammed her to the ground.

Darwin said, in the moment, she hadn't fully grasped what had happened.

"Every time I look at it, its embarrassing," Darwin said of the video. "I didn't even realize it happened. Like, I was in shock."

Rolesville police chief Bobby Langston said the fight occurred in the school cafeteria at about 7:10 a.m.

Darwin's mother, Desiree Harrison, said she was called to the school about her other daughter, but had no clue what had happened to Darwin until after she got home. Harrison said she feels the officer's actions were excessive.

"When I'm looking at this video, I'm like 'oh my ? , this cannot be happening to my child' because I was just up at the school and they didn't even tell me what happened to her," Harrison said. "They were so busy trying to get rid of the one who was in a fight but didn't even say something about the one that was not involved in anything."

According to Rolesville Mayor Frank Eagles, the officer seen on the video is Rolesville High School resource officer Ruben De Los Santos. De Los Santos, who is a member of the Rolesville Police Department and has been a resource officer at the school for four years, has been placed on paid administrative leave.

Langston said the State Bureau of Investigation has been called in to review the incident and asked for public patience while the incident is investigated.

Harrison said she took her daughter to the hospital, where she was told she has a concussion. Harrison said she will keep her daughter home from school Wednesday.

"That's not how you handle a child. She's only 100 pounds. He could've killed her," Harrison said.

After the video was posted to Twitter, students were quick to tag the Wake County Public School System and ask for a response.

Lisa Luten, a spokeswoman for the school system, said, "We are aware of the video. We are working with the Rolesville Police Department to gather all of the details around this incident to ensure that we take the appropriate action."

Rolesville High School principal Dhedra Lassiter released a statement on the school's website saying "I, like many of you, am deeply concerned about what I saw in the video."

"The safety of our students is always our first priority. Our school district works with many dedicated officers who protect out students," Lassiter said. "It is vital that our children have a positive relationship with these law enforcement officials. Those relationships are built on mutual respect."

Lassiter said that a unified agreement with local law enforcement agencies that provide training for school resource officers will be reviewed by the district and law enforcement agencies as part of the investigation.

Eagles said body camera footage of the incident exists. Langston would not go into detail about possible video that shows what happened before Darwin was thrown to the ground.
  • D. Morgan
    D. Morgan Members Posts: 11,662 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    http://www.wral.com/rolesville-student-slammed-to-ground-by-officer-i-was-in-shock-/16396466/

In video on Twitter posted Tuesday by a student at Rolesville High School, a Rolesville police officer is visible picking up a female student and slamming her to the floor.

The girl in the video is Jasmine Darwin, who said she was trying to break up a fight between her sister and another student when the officer came from behind and slammed her to the ground.

"Every time I look at it, its embarrassing," Darwin said of the video. "I didn't even realize it happened. Like, I was in shock."

Rolesville police chief Bobby Langston said the fight occurred in the school cafeteria at about 7:10 a.m.

Darwin's mother, Desiree Harrison, said she was called to the school about her other daughter, but had no clue what had happened to Darwin until after she got home. Harrison said she feels the officer's actions were excessive.

"When I'm looking at this video, I'm like 'oh my ? , this cannot be happening to my child' because I was just up at the school and they didn't even tell me what happened to her," Harrison said. "They were so busy trying to get rid of the one who was in a fight but didn't even say something about the one that was not involved in anything."

According to Rolesville Mayor Frank Eagles, the officer seen on the video is Rolesville High School resource officer Ruben De Los Santos. De Los Santos, who is a member of the Rolesville Police Department and has been a resource officer at the school for four years, has been placed on paid administrative leave.

Langston said the State Bureau of Investigation has been called in to review the incident and asked for public patience while the incident is investigated.

Harrison said she took her daughter to the hospital, where she was told she has a concussion. Harrison said she will keep her daughter home from school Wednesday.

"That's not how you handle a child. She's only 100 pounds. He could've killed her," Harrison said.

After the video was posted to Twitter, students were quick to tag the Wake County Public School System and ask for a response.

Lisa Luten, a spokeswoman for the school system, said, "We are aware of the video. We are working with the Rolesville Police Department to gather all of the details around this incident to ensure that we take the appropriate action."

Rolesville High School principal Dhedra Lassiter released a statement on the school's website saying "I, like many of you, am deeply concerned about what I saw in the video."

"The safety of our students is always our first priority. Our school district works with many dedicated officers who protect out students," Lassiter said. "It is vital that our children have a positive relationship with these law enforcement officials. Those relationships are built on mutual respect."

Lassiter said that a unified agreement with local law enforcement agencies that provide training for school resource officers will be reviewed by the district and law enforcement agencies as part of the investigation.

Eagles said body camera footage of the incident exists. Langston would not go into detail about possible video that shows what happened before Darwin was thrown to the ground.

LLS and SMFH at these people always trying to bring this ? back to ? training.

Training ain't the ? problem and it never really was. Some black people keep letting them use that weak ass excuse and even advocate for officer re-training themselves. That allows them get to get away way too easily with ? like this. The ? they doing ain't policy or ? they've been trained to do so the ? ain't a training issue.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0 Regulator
    Options
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
  • Brian B.
    Brian B. Members Posts: 6,717 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    At this point, the only way we'll see change is if blood is shed & lives are lost

we've exhausted every other option

until these pieces of ? understand that we're out for blood instead of badges, get comfortable w/ the way things are
  • D. Morgan
    Options
    D. Morgan wrote: »

Training ain't the ? problem and it never really was. Some black people keep letting them use that weak ass excuse and even advocate for officer re-training themselves. That allows them get to get away way too easily with ? like this. The ? they doing ain't policy or ? they've been trained to do so the ? ain't a training issue.

They are calling for his badge and for future resource officers to have better training.

I read the article ok cool they want him fired nothing new there.

Thing is though what he did to that lil girl isn't a training issue. What these police out here to doing to black people ain't a ? training issue either. Boiling it down to a training issue is allowing these officers to get away with doing ? like this cause it makes it seem like they were trained wrong from the get go and with better training ? like this won't happen. Which we have all seen is ? .
  • Copper
    Copper Members Posts: 49,532 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    So the whole violence against females (Joe mixon) doesn't apply here?
  • Brian B.
    Options
    Copper wrote: »

Did she put hands on him?
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
  • Copper
    Copper Members Posts: 49,532 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Brian B. wrote: »

Census says that doesn't matter
  • D. Morgan
    edited January 2017
    Options

They are calling for his badge and for future resource officers to have better training.

Thing is though what he did to that lil girl isn't a training issue. What these police out here to doing to black people ain't a ? training issue either. Boiling it down to a training issue is allowing these officers to get away with doing ? like this cause it makes it seem like they were trained wrong from the get go and with better training ? like this won't happen. Which we have all seen is ? .

So you dont think the increased militarization of the police has nothing to do with the conduct that has taken place in the past 8 years?

It is a training issue.

Dehumanizing the opposition is part of training.

Just so happens the opposition is the general public.

Giving the police military equipment is not the same as training them to do the ? they are doing to black people. Most of them don't even get to use that ? equipment. Its the us and ? them black people mentality that is the ? issue.

A trained skilled marksmen with a 6 shot revolver is more likely to hit his target than a untrained can't shoot for ? person with a 100 shot AK.
  • [Deleted User]
    edited January 2017
    Options
  • D. Morgan
    Options

So you dont think the increased militarization of the police has nothing to do with the conduct that has taken place in the past 8 years?

It is a training issue.

Giving the police military equipment is not the same as training them to do the ? they are doing to black people. Most of them don't even get to use that ? equipment. Its the us and ? them black people mentality that is the ? issue.

A trained skilled marksmen with a 6 shot revolver is more likely to hit his target than a untrained can't shoot for ? person with a 100 shot AK.

Brother when I say training I mean more than just artillery.

It is obvious all they have trained is how to engage.

Training also encompasses the social aspect of the job.

Having a high social aptitude is not something that should be OJT.

If they not doing this same ? based on schools and neighborhoods with high income levels its quite obvious the ? ain't about training.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
  • Brian B.
    Options

Lol says who?

I (& many others) say it does matter

that was the whole point many of us made in that thread

you put hands on someone, don't be surprised if hands are put on you

Now, did this lil girl put hands on that man?

• D. Morgan
    edited January 2017
    Options

It is a training issue.

If they not doing this same ? based on schools and neighborhoods with high income levels its quite obvious the ? ain't about training.

They are tho.

Plenty videos that show FEMALES of all social standing getting the Bill Goldberg special.

For whatever reason this tactic is mainly ever used on females.

It is a weird trend that has been getting ignored because of other more violent acts taking place.

I haven't seen them.

Not saying it doesn't exist just saying I haven't seen them or even seen it reported that lil white girls with rich to wealthy parents got slammed and manhandled by the police.
  • yellowtapesport
    yellowtapesport Members Posts: 4,662 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Now, did this lil girl put hands on that man?

This is why it doesn't matter...
  • The Lonious Monk
    The Lonious Monk Members Posts: 26,258 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

It is a training issue.

They are tho.

Plenty videos that show FEMALES of all social standing getting the Bill Goldberg special.

It is a weird trend that has been getting ignored because of other more violent acts taking place.

I haven't seen them.

Not saying it doesn't exist just saying I haven't seen them or even seen it reported that lil white girls with rich to wealthy parents got slammed and manhandled by the police.

I don't know anything about the chicks parents, but there was a video a while back of a cop kicking a white chick right in the face while she was handcuffed. These dudes are savages and anybody can get got. That's why white people are so stupid for siding with corrupt cops over the oppressed.
  • [Deleted User]
    edited January 2017
    Options
  • [Deleted User]
    edited January 2017
    Options
  • D. Morgan
    Options

It is a training issue.

They are tho.

I haven't seen them.

I don't know anything about the chicks parents, but there was a video a while back of a cop kicking a white chick right in the face while she was handcuffed. These dudes are savages and anybody can get got. That's why white people are so stupid for siding with corrupt cops over the oppressed.

Was the white chick poor or did she come from money.

All I'm saying is that the ? that happens to black people when it comes to the cops doesn't seem to happen when it comes to white people with money whether its white schools or neighborhoods.
  • The Lonious Monk
    The Lonious Monk Members Posts: 26,258 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2017
    Options

All I'm saying is that the ? that happens to black people when it comes to the cops doesn't seem to happen when it comes to white people with money whether its white schools or neighborhoods.

Like I said, I just saw the video. I don't know anything about her parents. But it shouldn't be that surprising that white people with money don't have to worry about ? like this. The police aren't stupid. They know who they can and can't get away with this ? against.

What we need is for one of these cops to slip up and attack the wrong white person, then watch the whole narrative change.
  • D. Morgan
    edited January 2017
    Options

Like I said, I just saw the video. I don't know anything about her parents. But it shouldn't be that surprising that white people with money don't have to worry about ? like this. The police aren't stupid. They know who they can and can't get away with this ? against.

Thank you for agreeing with me and proving my point that this ? isn't a training issue. Which is all I was saying and my whole ? point.

A game dog thats trained to go doesn't see a rich ? fluffy poodle and think "I can't attack that poodle because its owner is rich and will have me euthanized if I attack it".

A trained cop has no picks and chooses rich and poor doesn't matter cause its always going to do what its trained to do no matter who or what.

So like I said its not a ? training issue if the police know not to pull that ? with rich white people.

Nobody said its surprising
  • Ghost313
    Ghost313 Members Posts: 6,362 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Joe Mixon looking on in disbelief