How Come Jordans Are The Only Sneakers That Sell?

5 Grand
5 Grand Members Posts: 12,869 ✭✭✭✭✭
For all intents and purposes Kobe Bryant is as good as Michael Jordan. The same could be said for LeBron James. Then there's Allen Iverson, Shaquille O'Neal.

In baseball you had Barry Bonds and Derek Jeter.

In tennis you have Serena and Venus Williams (you'd think that girls would buy their sneakers but they buy Jordans)

In football you have Tom Brady and Peyton Manning

In track you have Hussein Bolt.

bi_graphics_shoechart-1.png

01-752.png

basketball-shoe-sales-worldwide-by-nba-player.jpg

So the question remains; How come Jordans are the only sneakers that sell?

Comments

• mike06
    mike06 Members Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭✭✭
    he came and caught the wave at the right time

if not for Jordan we'd still be ballin and walking around in ? converse
  • king hassan
    king hassan Members Posts: 22,739 ✭✭✭✭✭
    AP21 wrote: »
    b/c dudes are brainwashed

close thread
  • D. Morgan
    D. Morgan Members Posts: 11,662 ✭✭✭✭✭
    They sell the most but ain't the only shoe that sells.

Also nobody you mentioned is considered the undisputed GOAT of their sport.

Most people want to be aligned with the best and Jordan is considered the best. Damn near everyone else its debatable.

Also folks are brainwashed and Nike shoes horrible when it comes to quality.
  • 5 Grand
    D. Morgan wrote: »

Most people want to be aligned with the best and Jordan is considered the best. Damn near everyone else its debatable.

Serena is the undisputed GOAT. I think she has more championships than anyone.

Also I forgot Tiger Woods. He was The GOAT of golf at one point.

And nobody's seeing Tom Brady when it comes to tossing the pigskin.
  • D. Morgan
    5 Grand wrote: »

Serena is the undisputed GOAT. I think she has more championships than anyone.

Also I forgot Tiger Woods. He was The GOAT of golf at one point.

And nobody's seeing Tom Brady when it comes to tossing the pigskin.

Tennis not mainstream, still viewed mainly by white people and still considered a white persons sport. As wrong as they might be plenty of white will still argue Billie Jean King is still the GOAT female tennis player

Tiger is viewed as a whitewashed cornball and a sucka. Most of all he not views as the undisputed GOAT of golf

Tom Brady is not even considered the undisputed GOAT QB let alone just plain ol football player regardless of position
  • northside7
    northside7 Members Posts: 25,739 ✭✭✭✭✭
    A fresh pair of Nike airs>>>>>>>Jordans.
  • northside7
    edited January 2017

I disagree. I've had nikes that lasted through all four seasons. And they are always comfy.

nike-zoom-lebron-3-black-black-metallic-gold-040480_1.jpg
    ^^^One of the most comfortable shoes I ever had.
  • D. Morgan
    northside7 wrote: »

I disagree. I've had nikes that lasted through all four seasons. And they are always comfy.

So you really want to do the exception not the rule thing.

So you telling you played or did some type of physical activity in those shoes a few times a week and they lasted winter, spring, summer and fall?

If so, CONGRATULATIONS on being one of a few to be so lucky.
  • king hassan
    king hassan Members Posts: 22,739 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2017
    I've hooped in all kinds of shoes, all felt the same, and I don't buy basketball shoes just to chill in *shrug*
  • northside7
    edited January 2017

So you really want to do the exception not the rule thing.

So you telling you played or did some type of physical activity in those shoes a few times a week and they lasted winter, spring, summer and fall?

If so, CONGRATULATIONS on being one of a few to be so lucky.

Lol. All I'm saying is I've gone through frigid temperatures with snow, ice and salt on the ground and the nikes lasted through that and into the following winter.

I would have separate shoes for the physical activities.
  • StoneColdMikey
    StoneColdMikey Members, Moderators Posts: 33,543 Regulator
    Actually they don't sell as much lol
  • DaBull
    DaBull Members Posts: 9,261 ✭✭✭✭✭
    foamposites >>> Jordans
  • Peezy_Jenkins
    Peezy_Jenkins Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 33,205 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Why folks always gotta b brainwashed (not saying some aren't n not saying some don't buy just to fit in) is it possible that the young crowd never had a retro n finally had the money to cop so they did at rerelease. Is it possible that the shoe we find ugly appeals to others
  • Breezy_Kilroy
    Breezy_Kilroy Members Posts: 10,500 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Right now Adidas is growing at an exceptional rate because of their lifestyle options. Nike is king but Adidas is at the forefront of the fitness/run/lifestyle trend.

Some of their models are ? on Nike and if wasn't for Jordan and retros things might be a lot different.

Basketball shoe sales across the board are down significantly even Jordans.
  • goodlookinout
    goodlookinout Members Posts: 5,302 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Athe one point Bo Jack was bigger than MJ but that damn hip injury
  • Olorun22
    Olorun22 Members Posts: 5,696 ✭✭✭✭✭

They're ugly af
  • BlackAX410
    BlackAX410 Members Posts: 35,415 ✭✭✭✭✭
    So we just gonna let "intents and purposes" cook?
  • infamous114
    infamous114 Members, Moderators Posts: 52,202 Regulator
    BlackAX410 wrote: »
    So we just gonna let "intents and purposes" cook?

That's the actually right way to say it. He did butcher Bolt's name though
  • ghostdog56
    ghostdog56 Members Posts: 2,947 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I buy shoes because of what they look like, not who's name is on it.
  • 5 Grand
    OK so how come Kobe Bryant's sneakers didn't sell?

I remember when Air Jordans came out in 1985 or 1986 (I think it was 1985). Jordan hadn't even won a championship yet and people were buying them. I don't even think he had won a dunk contest yet.

Kobe came in the league in 1997 and won 3 championships by 2002. Yet his sneakers were never selling like Jordans were selling before Jordan ever won a ring.

In otherwords, Air Jordans were selling before Jordan won a ring and Kobe Bryants sneakers didn't really sell after he had won 3 rings. Now Kobe's won 5 rings. He did everything right, he won the dunk contest, smiled for the cameras and was an all around likable guy, but his sneakers just didn't sell like Jordans.

Can somebody explain why?
  • Revolver Ocelot
    Revolver Ocelot Members Posts: 3,393 ✭✭✭✭✭
    5 Grand wrote: »
    OK so how come Kobe Bryant's sneakers didn't sell?

I remember when Air Jordans came out in 1985 or 1986 (I think it was 1985). Jordan hadn't even won a championship yet and people were buying them. I don't even think he had won a dunk contest yet.

Kobe came in the league in 1997 and won 3 championships by 2002. Yet his sneakers were never selling like Jordans were selling before Jordan ever won a ring.

In otherwords, Air Jordans were selling before Jordan won a ring and Kobe Bryants sneakers didn't really sell after he had won 3 rings. Now Kobe's won 5 rings. He did everything right, he won the dunk contest, smiled for the cameras and was an all around likable guy, but his sneakers just didn't sell like Jordans.

Can somebody explain why?

Kobe was w/ Adidas first and most them ? was ugly. Plus I hardly remember any promo for Kobe, the one I remember was the one with folks yelling at him and that was just 2/3 years ago.

And Kobe didn't do everything right. That case in Eagle hurt a lil bit and he's not seen as all that likable especially after the Shaq ? .

Also it has nothing to do with championships. Lebron been selling shoes since he got in the league and just won his first chip 4 and half years ago. Plus who the ? goes to Foot locker/Athletes Foot etc, buys shoes based on how many championship someone has.