I Am Not Your ? - Official Trailer

Options
1CK1S
1CK1S Members Posts: 27,471 ✭✭✭✭✭
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rNUYdgIyaPM

In his new film, director Raoul Peck envisions the book James Baldwin never finished - a radical narration about race in America, using the writer's original words. He draws upon James Baldwin's notes on the lives and assassinations of Medgar Evers, Malcolm X, and Martin Luther King Jr. to explore and bring a fresh and radical perspective to the current racial narrative in America.

Comments

• sapp08_2001
    sapp08_2001 Members Posts: 7,566 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
  • soul rattler
    soul rattler Members Posts: 18,852 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    This is a must watch
  • bbkg79
    bbkg79 Members Posts: 613 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Was just about to post this, good thing I searched.
  • soul rattler
    soul rattler Members Posts: 18,852 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    James Baldwin is one of the names people commonly overlook historically because he was essentially anti-religion. That doesn't fit well with the Christian MLK movement or even the Black Muslim movement.
  • bbkg79
    bbkg79 Members Posts: 613 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Mods can combine this with other two threads titled the same

Just went to see this on Saturday night at The Alamo Drafthouse in White Plains, NY. GOAT movie theatre btw. This was beautiful and excellent, so much to digest, swirl around, and contemplate. I need to see it again, hard to remember everything, I want to take notes. Definitely a documentary that can create dialogue and help us to better understand what we need to do, what sacrifices must be made, and what those sacrifices are necessary for those of us who don't know this or need to be reminded. Like Baldwin realized, it also made me realize I'm more of witness than an actor. I truly wish to pay my dues, it hurts talking to my mother and seeing her broken spirit and fear of my passion because she wants to protect her, now, only son.

Paraphrasing, " it's going to be ? , it's going to be nasty". "We're too worried about our financial situation and staying safe to act".

Actually found myself getting jealous, can't imagine what it was like to have known all three (Evers, King, and X)

My only problem, and it's not with the movie itself. I think me and 3 other black people were there. Show was sold out and it was mostly white people. That bothers me, and it gives them further validation for their privilege and feeling of supremacy. That's why they're bold enough to tell you about your history because they're always there studying, listening, and possibly plotting or looking for opportunities to appropriate and capitalize. I want and will do a better job of understanding my history. Don't want to be too long-winded, hope this made sense and gives some people the push to go see or purchase online and watch it. And lastly discuss!

Mods can combine this with other two threads titled the same
This discussion has been closed.