Guerilla (1970s UK civil rights drama produced by Idris Elba)

lazypakman
lazypakman Members Posts: 4,913 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited April 2017 in Lights, Camera, Action!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aytYyE4tlL4
Guerrilla is “a love story set against the backdrop of one of the most politically explosive times in U.K. history,” according to its official synopsis.

“It tells the story of a politically active couple whose relationship and values are tested when they liberate a political prisoner and form a radical underground cell in 1970s London. Their ultimate target becomes the Black Power Desk, a true-life, secretive counter-intelligence unit within Special Branch dedicated to crushing all forms of black activism.”

“We’re excited to partner with our friends at Sky to bring a fascinating and unexplored story spearheaded by John and Idris, two major creative talents at the top of their game,” said David Nevins, president and chief executive officer, Showtime Networks Inc. “Guerrilla will surely keep our audience at their edge of their seats.”

“It’s been a long time desire of mine to collaborate with Mr. Ridley and his work here is nothing short of a masterclass in character building and story-telling,” Elba said in a statement. “TV is in for a treat.”

Comments

• Rum Middleton
    Rum Middleton Members Posts: 5,265 ✭✭✭✭✭
    ? started a little slow, but now after the first episode, they on the run and ? for bustin dude out prison..this could be good..
  • dontdiedontkillanyon
    dontdiedontkillanyon Members Posts: 10,172 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm a bit iffy about this one. It's Sky Atlantic, plus they've been able to attract the likes of Idris Elba and Frieda Pinto... I might give it a watch at some point.
  • deadeye
    deadeye Members Posts: 22,884 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Maybe I'm wrong, but it seems like they're lowkey ? on the people in that movement during that time.

We'll see how it plays out over the remaining episodes, but that seems to be an underlying theme.
  • KingFreeman
    KingFreeman Members Posts: 13,731 ✭✭✭✭✭
    This chick wishy washy as hell. Got these ? doing the most.
  • peeny_wally2
    peeny_wally2 Members Posts: 26 ✭✭
    deadeye wrote: »
    Maybe I'm wrong, but it seems like they're lowkey ? on the people in that movement during that time.

We'll see how it plays out over the remaining episodes, but that seems to be an underlying theme.

@deadeye

Yeah, there's been a pretty big backlash against how black brits have been portrayed, particularly black women who have been all but sidelined in this story.
    When asked where were the black women, John Ridley literally started crying (literally) and said he made the main characters have a mixed race relationship because he and his Japanese wife, who's a "fighter", still face issues that the characters faced back then (don't ask me to make sense of this statement but that was essentially his response).

The funniest thing is they created this drama based loosely on a real Indian person who was part of the black power movement over here but he was a man by the name of Farrukh Dhondy. Farrukh also had an Indian wife, so basically Ridley made this couple the centre of this story as an ode to his wife and his own interracial relationship.

As someone who's black British and have family members involved in that movement, it's a shame it's been brought to tv so inaccurately. I expected more from Ridley because of how he does American Crime, but he went and injected himself into a story for no reason, and it shows.
  • deadeye
    deadeye wrote: »

@deadeye

Yeah, there's been a pretty big backlash against how black brits have been portrayed, particularly black women who have been all but sidelined in this story.
    When asked where were the black women, John Ridley literally started crying (literally) and said he made the main characters have a mixed race relationship because he and his Japanese wife, who's a "fighter", still face issues that the characters faced back then (don't ask me to make sense of this statement but that was essentially his response).

The funniest thing is they created this drama based loosely on a real Indian person who was part of the black power movement over here but he was a man by the name of Farrukh Dhondy. Farrukh also had an Indian wife, so basically Ridley made this couple the centre of this story as an ode to his wife and his own interracial relationship.

As someone who's black British and have family members involved in that movement, it's a shame it's been brought to tv so inaccurately. I expected more from Ridley because of how he does American Crime, but he went and injected himself into a story for no reason, and it shows.

@peeny_wally2

Ok, I knew something was off.

Glad to get a black British perspective on this for confirmation.

The Irish and Indian girlfriends........and the lack of a strong black female presence......were exactly what raised my antennae.

Not to mention the black woman who was working as an informant for that racist cop (fed, or whatever he was) and the dude whose snitching led to one of the leaders being killed.

Ridley's definitely doing the show.........and the movement the show is based on...........a disservice.
  • fortyacres
    fortyacres Members, Moderators Posts: 4,480 Regulator
    edited April 2017
    Yooo that cop violated that Irish chick cotdamn.

them british cops was wildin
  • deadeye
    gzkv71h4d9mb.gif

They're making it seem like all the brothers in the Movement are nothing but misguided Hotep ? who can't stay away from white/foreign/non-black ? .

07h0bi7s52yk.gif
  • KingFreeman
    KingFreeman Members Posts: 13,731 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yeah I have to chill on this show. Not what I thought it was gonna be.
  • Rum Middleton
    Yeah im three episodes behind, and I dont think I wanna catch up...
  • Rum Middleton
    Took it off the DVR recording options and I aint even missin it.