Constance Wu speaks out against Casey Affleck’s Oscar nomination

marc123
marc123 Members Posts: 16,999 ✭✭✭✭✭
Ole girl keepin it 100. I heard bout her a having alil dog in her. But didn't know she was this trill. Respect...

http://www.avclub.com/article/constance-wu-speaks-out-against-casey-afflecks-osc-249006

Comments

• LUClEN
    LUClEN Members Posts: 20,559 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Eh, I used to share that view but I do not anymore.

Separate the thing a person is being celebrated for from the things they are reviled for. If you held everyone to this standard where a skeleton in the closet can diminish any of their good work then we would have very few people we could legitimately celebrate. Not only that, unless it's relevant, there is really no connection between the two in the first place and this is just black-and-white thinking run amuck.

I guarantee if she ever had a plight that was brought to light and threatened her career she would expect the same kind of level headed thinking. When people get emotionally invested in issues they lose that ability to see the nuance and reflect on things with objectivity.
  • marc123
    marc123 Members Posts: 16,999 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2017
    yea. I'm not sayin I agree w/ every thing she is sayin. But I do respect the fact she is at least speaking up. Not jus being silent. She knows the risk she is takin, n white Hollywood might try n black ball her for this.
  • TheGOAT
    TheGOAT Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 15,916 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2017
    I thought the alleged sexual harrassment was a recent incident.

I just looked it up and she sued him for 2.5mil back in 2010

Why are people talking about the case now? Because his film did well?
  • #1hiphopjunki3
    #1hiphopjunki3 Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 3,557 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sion wrote: »
    He's just a man, I separate the man from the artist and take the entertainment for what it is. ? Michael Jackson was alleged and found to have had child erotica in his home in his stash, 50 Cent shot, stabbed and killed people, the Olsen twins supplied Heath Ledger with the drugs that killed him, Nate Parker etc etc. No one is perfect.

I don't know much about Casey personal life and I don't want to, he's the one who has to live with himself. America has a strange fascination with celebrities to where people feel compelled to follow them and voice an opinion about them that got nothing to do with anything.

50 Cents whole damn image (self inflicted) is about him getting shot up and being a former drug dealer and they just drug Nate Parker though the dirt for something he was found innocent of and you barely hear about what the Olsen twins or Casey Affleck's past.

Honestly I didn't hear ? about this Casey Affleck ? until watching the Breakfast Club and Michael
    Smith and Jemelle Hill interview and Ms. Hill in passing brought up Casey Affleck's issues when they talked about Nate Parker.

I do agree if people show true remorse and have seemed like they honestly learned from their past then you have to let them grow from their mistakes but lets be real some people's issues get way more publicity than others.
  • fortyacres
    fortyacres Members, Moderators Posts: 4,480 Regulator
    i thought the case was resolved ?

Constance Wu is an opportunist.
  • The Lonious Monk
    The Lonious Monk Members Posts: 26,258 ✭✭✭✭✭
    LUClEN wrote: »
    Eh, I used to share that view but I do not anymore.

Separate the thing a person is being celebrated for from the things they are reviled for. If you held everyone to this standard where a skeleton in the closet can diminish any of their good work then we would have very few people we could legitimately celebrate. Not only that, unless it's relevant, there is really no connection between the two in the first place and this is just black-and-white thinking run amuck.

I guarantee if she ever had a plight that was brought to light and threatened her career she would expect the same kind of level headed thinking. When people get emotionally invested in issues they lose that ability to see the nuance and reflect on things with objectivity.

I agree. I don't really understand stuff like this. So now every time someone is celebrated for something, will people drudge through their past to find whatever wrongdoing they can to use to tear that person down? It's ridiculous. I could see if he just did this or if he did something that was directly related to his business, but it's not. The idea that giving an award for work done half a decade after an incident somehow turns a blind eye to or justifies that incident is silly. And the thing is, people pick and choose when they want to react like this. Women will make a fuss about something like this, but if this dude got in trouble for assaulting a man or something like that they'd likely have nothing to say.
  • Lou Cypher
    Lou Cypher Members Posts: 52,521 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Can someone give me a timeline on wtf is happening?