Thank you, 9th Wonder: Illmatic Is 1 of 4 Hip-Hop Albums Being Preserved in Harvard’s Library......

Options
2»

Comments

• The Lonious Monk
    The Lonious Monk Members Posts: 26,258 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I didn't even like TPAB all that much, and I definitely liked GKMC a lot more. That said, for this kind of thing, I think I'd probably pick TPAB over GKMC. It's a more meaningful album as far as subject matter goes. GKMC is the better album, but if you're talking about preserving something to speak to the future, I think TPAB would say more if that makes sense.
  • CeLLaR-DooR
    CeLLaR-DooR Members Posts: 18,880 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I didn't even like TPAB all that much, and I definitely liked GKMC a lot more. That said, for this kind of thing, I think I'd probably pick TPAB over GKMC. It's a more meaningful album as far as subject matter goes. GKMC is the better album, but if you're talking about preserving something to speak to the future, I think TPAB would say more if that makes sense.

I don't see why it needs to be either TPAB or GKMC. There are plenty albums that are more deservin' to be among the first four reserved.
  • CeLLaR-DooR
    CeLLaR-DooR Members Posts: 18,880 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Sion wrote: »
    I don't wanna be the one to say it but...TPAB?

That album spoke to a generation and time in music about the plights of the young black male and touched on every single subject. It's so layered man I challenge you to find an album like it....

? need to stop letting "good beats" and "I don't have to skip one song" dictate what is deemed as powerful music or classic SMMFH. If that's the criteria throw ASAP Rocky on there SMMFH. Kendrick is more than deserving. TPAB was deeper than GKMC.

None of this post applies to me King I don't really enjoy the sorta hip hop you're referrin' to. I'm just sayin' that 1. The album is still too fresh to be put in a vault like that and 2. I don't think it's good enough to be among the first four
  • rip.dilla
    rip.dilla Members Posts: 17,412 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2017
    Options
    To ? A Butterfly is a classic HipHop album to me personally

Ronald Isley, Dr. Dre, Snoop, Pete Rock, Battlecat, Terrace Martin, George Clinton, BilaL, Pharrell Williams and (2Pac) all contributors to that joint...

With a list like that you'll never go wrong bruh...
  • 5 Grand
    5 Grand Members Posts: 12,869 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Not to throw any shade, but why is 9th Wonder in charge of this project?

He's a dope producer and all and he's earned his stripes but why him of all people?

I could name a handful of people that are equally deserving to be in charge of a project like this.

• Lou Cypher
    Lou Cypher Members Posts: 52,521 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    9th Wonder is for the culture!
  • Built 4 cuban linx
    Built 4 cuban linx Members Posts: 12,285 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Foh, tpab isn't even better than blankface

Blank face>>>>>tpab
  • The Lonious Monk
    The Lonious Monk Members Posts: 26,258 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

I don't see why it needs to be either TPAB or GKMC. There are plenty albums that are more deservin' to be among the first four reserved.

I'm guessing they wanted at least one album that was relevant to newer fans of the genre.