Marvel/FX's Legion (TV series)

Options

Comments

• Broddie
    Broddie Members Posts: 11,750 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2017
    Options
    So it's safe to say they're basically recreating those old X-Men comic Professor X Vs. Shadow King battles on this show right? Just with David instead of Charles.
  • Broddie
    edited March 2017
    Options
    Broddie wrote: »
    Damn, I forgot who I was talking to. Ok, carry on.

Dog get over your assumptions. If you can't have a civil debate about trivial ? just say so. I'm not the first person to point out the flaws in those netflix shows. Not just the Marvel ones either netflix shows in general start out strong and wither away before the season wraps. Probably a product of not creating a season with audience feedback being taken into account like with TV.

Look man, it is what it is. I'm not saying you're a contrarian, but we've done this dance enough for me to know that when it comes to certain things, if they are popular, you always seem to want to nitpick them. None of the MCU Netflix shows are perfect, neither is Legion. You basically just said all the MCU Netflix shows are weak. You're like the only person that believes that.[\b] I give you the benefit of the doubt and say you're being sincere in your beliefs. There isn't really any room for a debate when two people just disagree on a subjective matter. All you can do is agree to disagree.

Here we go with absolute statements. I'm the only one who believes that? Google the subject and see if that's true. Cause it's definitely not. I get it you like em a lot ok that's cool.

I'm saying objectively speaking meaning production values, writing, directing those shows are not on Legion's level like at all. Legion is like Fargo status. Subjectively like what you like. Some of us like some challenge with our entertainment while others just want junk food.

Personally in that case I take something more daring than safe any day of the week with any type of art. Doesn't mean I don't like safe just that I prefer daring.

Legion feels one of a kind. It's consistantly mind ? everybody week in and week out and getting crazier with the scope of mutation on a level we haven't even seen with the actual X-Men movies till this day. I appreciate that.

By comparison those netflix marvel shows are far more formulaic. Those shows have been made numerous times under different names throughout the years all over TV.

It's a formula that works for many. More power to you if that's enough but don't come here and honestly try to tell me that if anybody sees through it's glaring flaws they're some kinda unicorn or obvious sore thumb. Just because you don't see it on the IC doesn't mean it's not out there.

• The Lonious Monk
    The Lonious Monk Members Posts: 26,258 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Damn, I forgot who I was talking to. Ok, carry on.

Dog get over your assumptions. If you can't have a civil debate about trivial ? just say so. I'm not the first person to point out the flaws in those netflix shows. Not just the Marvel ones either netflix shows in general start out strong and wither away before the season wraps. Probably a product of not creating a season with audience feedback being taken into account like with TV.

Look man, it is what it is. I'm not saying you're a contrarian, but we've done this dance enough for me to know that when it comes to certain things, if they are popular, you always seem to want to nitpick them. None of the MCU Netflix shows are perfect, neither is Legion. You basically just said all the MCU Netflix shows are weak. You're like the only person that believes that.[\b] I give you the benefit of the doubt and say you're being sincere in your beliefs. There isn't really any room for a debate when two people just disagree on a subjective matter. All you can do is agree to disagree.

Here we go with absolute statements. I'm the only one who believes that? Google the subject and see if that's true. Cause it's definitely not. I get it you like em a lot ok that's cool.

I'm saying objectively speaking meaning production values, writing, directing those shows are not on Legion's level like at all. Legion is like Fargo status. Subjectively like what you like. Some of us like some challenge with our entertainment while others just want junk food.

Personally in that case I take something more daring than safe any day of the week with any type of art. Doesn't mean I don't like safe just that I prefer daring.

Legion feels one of a kind. It's consistantly mind ? everybody week in and week out and getting crazier with the scope of mutation on a level we haven't even seen with the actual X-Men movies till this day. I appreciate that.

By comparison those netflix marvel shows are far more formulaic. Those shows have been made numerous times under different names throughout the years all over TV.

It's a formula that works for many. More power to you if that's enough but don't come here and honestly try to tell me that if anybody sees through it's glaring flaws they're some kinda unicorn or obvious sore thumb. Just because you don't see it on the IC doesn't mean it's not out there.

Like I said, we can agree to disagree. I think you're overrating Legion. The production values aren't much better than the Netflix shows. I don't see where the direction is much better either. The writing is different because the subject matter is different, so i can see how that would be refreshing when compared to other shows, but from a strict storytelling standpoint, it's not all that much better either. You say you're speaking from an objective standpoint, but you really aren't. Basically, Legion breaks the comic book show mold in a bunch of ways. You like that, and that fact alone has pretty much skyrocketed it past everything else. The rest of the stuff you're saying is just feeding into your already present bias. As someone who likes Legion and the MCU Netflix shows, I can definitely see why someone would like one side over the other, but from a pure quality standpoint I don't think there is a big difference.
  • Broddie
    Options
    https://youtu.be/vyqXwlkBjpA

Horrible choreography and editing Fisk and Castle missing each other by 5 inches every single "hit".

https://youtu.be/aQRsRWVOgwU

Pure combo of hammy acting and cheesy melodrama objectively speaking.

Now onto subjective: without the charm of say Agent Carter, Arrowverse or even Gotham because the characters are so cold and distant you really can't connect. While those other shows are saved by the characters.

Legion has nothing as laughable as that and other stuff I gracefully haven't even mentioned. I prefer more polish I guess but yeah Fox got money and finesse Netflix still striving for.

• lazypakman
    lazypakman Members Posts: 4,913 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Not to take sides or anything but i have to say i'm with broddie on this one, i was going to post the other day how in the 5 eps i've seen of this it's already a more satisfying show to me than any of the netflix marvel stuff ( and this is from someone who has enjoyed them so far despite obvious flaws), but i held off because i knew it wouldn't go down well on here.

There seem to be a lot of people who just can't seem to get on the same level which this show is operating on, which is cool, everyone has their preferences, to me personally this show has kinda exposed the lack of inventiveness and imagination the marvel shows posess, like it really is kiddie fodder (entertaining none the less) compared to what's been served up here so far.

• TheBossman
    TheBossman Members Posts: 19,796 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Legion is very confusing to watch I'll admit that.

Daredevil season 2, Luke cage >>>> legion.
  • deadeye
    deadeye Members Posts: 22,884 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Cain wrote: »
    Daredevil is mediocre to put it nicely. Fell flat on it's face both seasons during the back half and the obvious choreography makes the fights laughable. I know the hits don't really connect irl but don't show me that. Not when kickass action is supposed to be one of your fortes.

Cage and Jones were even weaker. Haven't even bothered with Iron Fist. So yeah Legion is the best show with a Marvel license in it's credits. The writing and creativity on it runs laps around it's peers. It's like the Mr. Robot of these TV comic book adaptations.

no just no......................Legion is ?

DD and Cage ? on every part of Legion WTF

Actionwise.........yes.

Storyline wise...........Legion is on another level.

None of these other superhero/comic based shows even come close.
  • jono
    jono Members Posts: 30,280 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2017
    Options
    This is like Mr. Robot except messier.

The story still makes no sense but its a slow burn. I binged the last 5 eps because I was so unenthused by the pilot
  • The Lonious Monk
    Options
    I don't really get the "It doesn't make sense" complaint. It's not really that confusing. You just have to pay attention. It's not a story that you can just look over details. Anyway, too each his own. Like I said, I don't have a problem with people saying it's a better show. I just don't think it's a quality I issue. I think it's more of a story issue.
  • Broddie
    edited March 2017
    Options
    It's definitely straight forward. He's on a greater tier than Jean and Charles and runs with a team of mutants fighting for their kind. His psyche is also under attack. It actually feels a lot like a live action New Mutants comic.
  • The Lonious Monk
    Options
    It's definitely straight forward. He's on a greater tier than Jean and Charles and runs with a team of mutants fighting for their kind. His psyche is also under attack. It actually feels a lot like a live action New Mutants comic.

Well, I think that's oversimplifying things. Up to this point the show has been more centered around figuring out what's wrong with David than a team of superheroes fighting for a cause. As a matter of fact, we've learned that the lead chick's primary reason for recruiting him wasn't even because he'd be a powerful teammate. It's more because she believes he can bring her husband back. So it's not that straightforward, but it's not excessively convoluted either.
  • Broddie
    Options
  • Broddie
    edited March 2017
    Options

Well, I think that's oversimplifying things. Up to this point the show has been more centered around figuring out what's wrong with David than a team of superheroes fighting for a cause. As a matter of fact, we've learned that the lead chick's primary reason for recruiting him wasn't even because he'd be a powerful teammate. It's more because she believes he can bring her husband back. So it's not that straightforward, but it's not excessively convoluted either.

Well I was trying my best not to further confuse people. Really dope that the show explores the astral plane btw. Been wanting to see that in the X-Men movie universe for years.
  • lazypakman
    lazypakman Members Posts: 4,913 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2017
    Options
    Jermaine Clement talking about beat poetry, sitting in an ice house, whilst on the astral plane is one of the highlights of the year to me.

I'd watch that show all day long.
  • Bcotton5
    Bcotton5 Members Posts: 51,851 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    jaxn wrote: »
    deadeye wrote: »
    It really started to pick up with the last episode.

Probably because one of his personalities (or the parasite)........the fat baldhead guy........took over.

Not sure if the show is gonna be completely true to the comics, but it seems like they're portraying the fat dude as a parasite instead of a personality.

That old man in division told his girl "Beware, he wears a human face."

So it was probably him that was smashing her in that dreamland or wherever that was.

Probably the Shadow King. He can jump from host to host. If it is SK, he may have been inhabiting Bird's husband

It is Shadow King
  • jaxn
    jaxn Members Posts: 1,819 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Bcotton5 wrote: »
    jaxn wrote: »
    deadeye wrote: »
    It really started to pick up with the last episode.

Probably because one of his personalities (or the parasite)........the fat baldhead guy........took over.

Not sure if the show is gonna be completely true to the comics, but it seems like they're portraying the fat dude as a parasite instead of a personality.

That old man in division told his girl "Beware, he wears a human face."

So it was probably him that was smashing her in that dreamland or wherever that was.

Probably the Shadow King. He can jump from host to host. If it is SK, he may have been inhabiting Bird's husband

It is Shadow King
    He hadn't been confirmed when I made those posts.
  • Broddie
    Options
    We should be getting answers tonight.
  • MontyM.Max
    MontyM.Max Members Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    ? really ain't ? with this ? ? I think it's getting better every episode.
  • Broddie
    Options
    MontyM.Max wrote: »
    ? really ain't ? with this ? ? I think it's getting better every episode.

Plenty of us here that like this ? . Gonna see if I catch up with tonight's episode now since I didn't get to see it live.
  • Broddie
    Options
    First X-Men movie cameo of the show: One of the wheels on Charles' wheelchair.
  • Broddie
    edited March 2017
    Options
    Jemaine Clement's Oliver Bird is such a brilliant character. Great addition to the X-Men universe.
  • Broddie
    Options
    Audrey Plaza got nothing from her bori genes. Noassatall.
  • iron man1
    iron man1 Members Posts: 29,989 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Best episode to me
  • OmegaConflict
    OmegaConflict Members Posts: 39,030 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Isn't The shadow king and Mr. Sinister the same person?
  • Broddie
    Options